Ruger MD Compliant AR-556 - Way to Go Ruger!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I come to notice that an FFL within the State must abide by the State Law...Granted as it has been said you can procure different barrel types and place them on any AR lower, true...But I believe the Law was to regulate the "Sale" of 223/556 AR Arms, not the alteration...The other question would be if you "Built" an AR and the lower is registered through your FFL within the State of MD wouldn't that FFL be responsible to verify that the AR is an 223/556 HBAR which is within the Law...Also when you "Build" an AR your LOWER States the Caliber or Multi Caliber, Not Multi Barrel...correct...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I come to notice that an FFL within the State must abide by the State Law...Granted as it has been said you can procure different barrel types and place them on any AR lower, true...But I believe the Law was to regulate the "Sale" of 223/556 AR Arms, not the alteration...The other question would be if you "Built" an AR and the lower is registered through your FFL within the State of MD wouldn't that FFL be responsible to verify that the AR is an 223/556 HBAR which is within the Law...Also when you "Build" an AR your LOWER States the Caliber or Multi Caliber, Not Multi Barrel...correct...

Not sure I'm tracking with you but, FFL's only responsibility to the law is that what item he is selling is legal to be sold in Md. just as an FFL can't be responsible for selling you a shotgun that you, later, decide to saw the barrel down to 8''. He can't tell you what bbl to put on YOUR lower. You are free to break any law YOU wish, knowing(or not) that you are in violation of the law. IANAL

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

I wrote them yesterday and received this response:

thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.

This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 10/13/2015
    Request No: 308901

Comment / question:

I see on your web site that the AR-556 has a version that is Maryland legal. Two firearms dealers I have contacted have informed me it is NOT legal to sell the Ruger "State Compliant" AR-556 in Maryland. Can you provide me with the name of a Maryland dealer who will sell this rifle? Thanks!

Response:
    Your question will be forwarded to the appropriate person(s). Thank you for your email.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
    Pistols: (928) 778-6555
    Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
    Ruger Firearms

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Way to go chad....

;)
    I own no six-sided dildos. :D

Daphne called me back from Ruger and said they had removed Maryland from the list. She said their legal department felt it was okay since the 'medium contour barrel' was thicker than the Colt AR15 barrel.

If Ruger advertised the rifle as HBAR, I think it would have been okay.

Last edited:

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Again, a real shame. Not that I would have bought one of the so called compliant models, I just really have wanted one of these for a long time. I love Ruger products.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I own no six-sided dildos. :D

Daphne called me back from Ruger and said they had removed Maryland from the list. She said their legal department felt it was okay since the 'medium contour barrel' was thicker than the Colt AR15 barrel.

If Ruger advertised the rifle as HBAR, I think it would have been okay.

sounds good to me then as well. Let the nervous nellies dictate though...

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Not sure what the hullabaloo is all about. MSP has said if it's advertised as an HBAR, it's an HBAR. If the barrel is stamped HBAR, it's an HBAR. The Ruger is not.

I couldn't give a tinker's dam if someone finds a Maryland FFL that will sell him/her one, or goes to an out of state FFL and buys. Good for them. While they are at it, go to an out of state FFL and buy a Colt 6920, the FFL won't know.

I'm off now to drive 54mph in the left lane, while texting, drinking, eating scalding hot food and shaving.

And I'm an imbecile as I don't know what "the hprb" is.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    No need for anyone to have hurt feelings over this. The whole thing started as a case if irrational over exuberance that it might be legal. It's all part of the Battered Gun Owner Syndrome in MD.

If only Ruger had said their 'medium contour barrel' was thicker than the Colt AR15 HBAR barrel, we would have had something to work with. Prior to 10/2013 the wisdom here was Hbars were muzzle heavy don't get one. Maybe that is still the case in the rest of the US and Ruger doesn't want to be saddled with that label.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Ruger has lost some credibility in my eyes for making the claim that the rifle was Maryland compliant and then back tracking. Moot point anyways - no one wants a one size fits all state compliant rifle.

Vlammey

Mar 15, 2020
    Better late then never but this information is straight from the MSP webpage.

Manufacturer RugerDescription
    Ruger AR-556 #8502
    Status Not Banned
    Justification Neither a "Copycat" nor cosmetically similar to anything on the current enumerated banned weapon list
    Date of Status 8/31/2016
    Notes
    The Ruger AR-556 #8502 is a “heavy barrel” copy of a Colt AR15 and as such exempted from the definition of regulated firearms pursuant to Maryland’s Public Safety Article, Title 5, Sub-Title 1.

Ruger AR-556 #8511
    Status Not Banned
    Justification Does not meet the definition of a copycat weapon or the definition of a copy of an enumerated weapon
    Date of Status 5/30/2017
    Notes

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    A great company. Glad to see that they are not abandoning those behind the razor wire fence.

I don't need one. But now I want one.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Better late then never but this information is straight from the MSP webpage.

Ruger AR-556 #8502
    Status Not Banned
    Justification Neither a "Copycat" nor cosmetically similar to anything on the current enumerated banned weapon list
    Date of Status 8/31/2016
    Notes
    The Ruger AR-556 #8502 is a “heavy barrel” copy of a Colt AR15 and as such exempted from the definition of regulated firearms pursuant to Maryland’s Public Safety Article, Title 5, Sub-Title 1.

Ruger AR-556 #8511
    Status Not Banned
    Justification Does not meet the definition of a copycat weapon or the definition of a copy of an enumerated weapon
    Date of Status 5/30/2017
    Notes

That's good, especially since both Engage and United had them for sale a year ago. I only now saw this thread.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Hasn't Gymratz been selling these for a couple years now?

I know I bought a Ruger ar556 from a LGS four years ago the day after the Dallas cops were shot and Hillary and the dems were making their usual noises

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Hasn't Gymratz been selling these for a couple years now?

I know I bought a Ruger ar556 from a LGS four years ago the day after the Dallas cops were shot and Hillary and the dems were making their usual noises

I think the poster is a bot. Bumped a 5 year old thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom