Adcor: the best MD-legal gas piston AR-15s?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Driver

Gangster Blue Crab Outlaw
    Mar 20, 2020
    Urbana
    Based on what I've seen on the State Police database, both the Adcor Elite A-556 and the Adcor Defense B.E.A.R are approved in Maryland. I am interested in gas-piston systems, and their model seems excellent, especially the A-556, which was in the running for the U.S. military until they just decided to stick with the M4. They seem quite reliable and accurate. How is this possible in MD? I feel like they are excellent options for people looking for AR models as I am. Also, they offer a 10.5" barrel, but the OAL of the A-556 Elite is listed as 27-30.75" (https://www.adcordefense.com/products/a-elite/). I want the gun as short as possible for home defense. If it is >29" with the stock fully extended, in accordance with Maryland law, it can legally be purchased and owned? Speculate or disagree away.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Based on what I've seen on the State Police database, both the Adcor Elite A-556 and the Adcor Defense B.E.A.R are approved in Maryland. I am interested in gas-piston systems, and their model seems excellent, especially the A-556, which was in the running for the U.S. military until they just decided to stick with the M4. They seem quite reliable and accurate. How is this possible in MD? I feel like they are excellent options for people looking for AR models as I am. Also, they offer a 10.5" barrel, but the OAL of the A-556 Elite is listed as 27-30.75" (https://www.adcordefense.com/products/a-elite/). I want the gun as short as possible for home defense. If it is >29" with the stock fully extended, in accordance with Maryland law, it can legally be purchased and owned? Speculate or disagree away.

They are legal because for the most part piston AR's are not banned as copycats and are not required to be HBAR. The barrel must be 16" to be purchased without having to first submit ATF paperwork for a short-barreled rifle and wait months for approval and transfer. Unless it is a pistol AND is on the Maryland Handgun Roster (I didn't see any on the roster). In which case you just need your HQL, money, and the 7-day wait. If 29" with the stock fully extended it can be purchased in Maryland assuming again that it has a 16" barrel.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    They are legal because for the most part piston AR's are not banned as copycats and are not required to be HBAR. The barrel must be 16" to be purchased without having to first submit ATF paperwork for a short-barreled rifle and wait months for approval and transfer. Unless it is a pistol AND is on the Maryland Handgun Roster (I didn't see any on the roster). In which case you just need your HQL, money, and the 7-day wait. If 29" with the stock fully extended it can be purchased in Maryland assuming again that it has a 16" barrel.

Perfectly legal to build it into a pistol. Here is mine on an Aero PewPew lower. Bought the upper from another MDS member for a song and a dance just last month. Likes: very well balanced, accurate, lighter than expected and seems very reliable. Dislikes: would like one without the forward charging handle. It’s nice but just more parts to wear, also seems impossible to remove the upper Handguard without their special tool. Edit: Oh and the BCG dust Thingy is a bit gimmicky.

Attachments

• 73954E85-3ACB-492F-8BB8-34D849AE179F.jpg
      73954E85-3ACB-492F-8BB8-34D849AE179F.jpg
      23.5 KB · Views: 906

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Kinda pricey and outdated IMO, everything is proprietary, choice between a short 4 rail or short Keymod handguard with midweight barrels. That $1500 upper also includes the added complexity, added wear, and increased recoil that piston ARs have to offer, for no real benefits, all the reasons why they have fallen out of favor. Probably would be better served with a relatively slim "HBAR" or a pistol. If I just had to have an AR-ish pattern piston gun, would be hard to justify the Adcor over something like the far better, and less expensive Sig MCX.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Concur that you're better off with an MCX at this point. The fact that Adcor doesn't even have an MLOK rail is a big hint that they're not exactly in great shape as a company.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I have owned a CORE 15 piston rifle in 5.56 for about tens years. Several thousands rounds fired without any issue. The rifle does run clean, only downfall is the handguard can get pretty hot, much like a Mini-14 does after a lot of shooting. I do not know what price the system you are advertising costs, but the CORE was priced about that same as most middle of the road AR's.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    If you want it buy one, they did very well in the Army competition but buy a used one. From what I understand, after the Army ended the competition, the owner was left with a lot of material that could not be liquidated. In fact, their performance in the company was nothing short of incredible and they had a real shot at winning. Now with no way to market their product and sell off al that inventory, the story goes that he burned down one of his buildings for insurance fraud, got caught and I believe went to jail. Long story short, I don’t think Adcor defense is viable as a company. I want to buy one of their stripped lowers to match the upper but they haven’t returned a single one of my emails or phone calls. I would not spend $1400 on a new product, especially since they may go out of business. Someone will by their patents I am sure but not their lifetime warranty commitments.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    If you want it buy one, they did very well in the Army competition but buy a used one. From what I understand, after the Army ended the competition, the owner was left with a lot of material that could not be liquidated. In fact, their performance in the company was nothing short of incredible and they had a real shot at winning. Now with no way to market their product and sell off al that inventory, the story goes that he burned down one of his buildings for insurance fraud, got caught and I believe went to jail. Long story short, I don’t think Adcor defense is viable as a company. I want to buy one of their stripped lowers to match the upper but they haven’t returned a single one of my emails or phone calls. I would not spend $1400 on a new product, especially since they may go out of business. Someone will by their patents I am sure but not their lifetime warranty commitments.

I have really good friends that know the family really well. I could easily get parts from them but have never had the desire to do so.

The disappointing thing is they have the ability to make legit parts and assemble legit rifles as they were a Colt contractor. They would probably sell a ton of them if they marketed themselves as a legit, consistent duty rifle manufacturer and got away from proprietary gimmicks.

I wish them the best either way. Desperation certainly makes people do things they shouldn't do. I've heard nice things about them.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    I have really good friends that know the family really well. I could easily get parts from them but have never had the desire to do so.

The disappointing thing is they have the ability to make legit parts and assemble legit rifles as they were a Colt contractor. They would probably sell a ton of them if they marketed themselves as a legit, consistent duty rifle manufacturer and got away from proprietary gimmicks.

I wish them the best either way. Desperation certainly makes people do things they shouldn't do. I've heard nice things about them.

I wish I had known that so that I could have gotten one of their lowers. I ended up mounting the upper on an Aero Lower. Although it looks nice, I wanted it mounted on an Adcor lower. Not spending anymore money on that thing. I also agree that they should have stayed away from proprietary gimmicks

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It seems you could build an AR pistol with any pistol/other lower and the Brownells BRN-180s upper for much less than a MCX platform(which I really want also).
    If you're willing to play the waiting game a bit, Evolution Weapon Systems has a no-buffer-tube BCG that works with the MCX-style stocks. $400, no proprietary lock-in other than the BCG. If it works, it's not a bad-looking solution.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If you're willing to play the waiting game a bit, Evolution Weapon Systems has a no-buffer-tube BCG that works with the MCX-style stocks. $400, no proprietary lock-in other than the BCG. If it works, it's not a bad-looking solution.

Can't wait to see how these function.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    It seems you could build an AR pistol with any pistol/other lower and the Brownells BRN-180s upper for much less than a MCX platform(which I really want also).

Take a look at the Wolf T91 uppers too.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011

This the same ADCOR Industries that is a machine shop/contract manufacturer in Highlandtown. A cursory internet search reveals that the ADCOR Defense fire was preceded by a 2007 fire in a warehouse of their beverage industry manufacturing equipment division.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Fired their weapons on their range. Suppressor, automatic. Very nice. Great write up in shotgun news, cover story. Owner still out but sentenced in feb to 15 yrs fed custody. Insurance fraud. Was just in the news for saying co will build ventilators.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom