• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm with you. It is entirely too early for any reasonable GUESS on mortality rates etc. The scientists are already walking back many of their dire estimates. This whole thing has been politically driven more than anything else IMO. I'm not saying it isn't bad, but it isn't the end of days the media have been purporting it to be.

It isn't the end of days, but we know South Korea has been testing like crazy and they are running a 3% death rate and they have both much better medical care than the US does and their numbers have been edging up. Oh, and they have a much younger populace who have been getting infected.

South Korea represents pretty much an absolutely best case scenario for any outbreak that is more than a few hundred people and represents a statistically valid scenario.

The US is averaging right now 38% deaths/(deaths+recovered). We know we are missing a lot of people who are probably infected, but even if it is a lot higher, it doesn't drive it down below 5%. Without sufficient medical care we do have it well characterized for asymptomatic (about .25%), symptomatic mild (about 50% of cases), symptomatic moderate (about 20% of cases), severe (about 14% of cases) and critical (about 6% of cases).

Without hospital level care most of the severe and critical cases will die. Even with intensive care the WHO estimate is 3.4% and that seems to be more or less the case. But of course that depends on the age and health of the populace.

Italy even before their medical system got overwhelmed is both a lot older and less healthy than most Asian populations and they were trending more like 15% fatal because it was mostly much older people getting sick. It is a lot worse now because they cannot provide the medical care most of the elderly need (theirs is also roughly 38% case fatality rate now, though again, they are likely missing some cases that are more mild. However, they are doing a better job testing than the US is still, so they are likely missing fewer cases).

In the 80+ group more than half of people will need hospital level care or they will die.

It won't be the end of days, but if we do nothing, likely most people on Earth will get infected in the next couple of years (estimated at 60-70% in the next 12 months). Of those, most of the very elderly will die because no health care system can keep up with that. A lot of the younger people too. The hospitalization rate in the 30-50 age range is still pretty high. About 10%. it is just that they will respond well to treatment where someone a lot older will not. Which is why in the 30-39 age range the case fatality rate is below 1%. But if you cannot provide medical care to them, it is going to sky rocket to more like 5-10%.

That is what we are working to avoid is overwhelming our medical system so most of the people who are going to get sick, do survive. If we don't do anything, millions will die who could be saved. Same thing happened with the Spanish Flu. Cities that did nothing got overwhelmed and tens of thousands died. Cities that worked hard to prevent the spread mostly DID have as many people get sick. It just was a slow spread that the medical establishment could cope with and could treat patient. So hundreds and thousands died instead of tens of thousands.

Something that is throwing off a lot of people is that you can spread it when asymptomatic, both before developing symptoms and after recovery. The studies that have looked at them show that people are typically infectious 1-2 days after being infected, which means they are likely 3-4 days before becoming symptomatic. They can also spread it for 1-8 days AFTER recovering (IE no more symptoms). Very, very few people remain asymptomatic. The vast majority eventually become symptomatic, even if it is only mild symptoms.

Deaths lag a lot more than infections. Its 5 days on average to become symptomatic (95% range is 4.5-5.8d). Average recovery period for mild cases is 8d on average after becoming symptomatic with a typical range of 6-14 days for mild cases. Moderate cases are typical 14-23 days. Severe and critical cases are typically 14-28 days with a few cases being as long as 8 weeks.

Deaths, even in unhealthy elderly people from the time they become symptomatic to death is 2-8 weeks. There are very, very few cases reported where someone became symptomatic and then died a day or two later. Most people start with mild symptoms and progress after a week suddenly. Average amount of time from symptomatic to hospitalization is 8 days. Average progression from mild to severe symptoms is less than 12 hours.

So if you have 10,000 cases on day 1 and 160,000 on day 12, which represents a doubling every 3 days and roughly is the trend the US has been on, the deaths you are seeing on day 12 are mostly the people who became symptomatic on day 1. Not the 150,000 cases that developed between day 1 and day 12. All those people who got sick on day 2-12 are mostly going to start dying in the following days and the nature of exponential curves, 70% of those who will die won't be dying for at least another 2 weeks. And in 2 weeks, most of the people who would then be dying got infected on days 13-24. So on and so forth. Eventually the disease is self limiting once enough people get sick, but it doesn't start slowing down on its own until about 1/4th of the US population has gotten sick.

Also a fun fact, no known human coronavirus produces long lasting immunity. Generally immunity lasts 1-2 years. So if you do get sick now, odds are pretty high you can get reinfected in a year or two (if not sooner as some people display shorter lasting immunity). So shy of an effective anti-viral or a vaccine (and a vaccine that would likely have to be re-administered perhaps annually) we will likely have somewhere between 2-5% of the population dying from this every single year, depending on how effective we can make our health care system at treating people and if any prior exposure at least aids somewhat in fighting off future infections, even if you aren't immune (jury is out on that, but it doesn't look good).

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Signed up for a DNR online account (Compass) to get a fishing license and was able to locate my hunter safety card from 1999 and get that added to my certifications in Compass!

Attachments

• B3C11F04-9E6E-43E3-A69F-E085993FF402.jpg
      B3C11F04-9E6E-43E3-A69F-E085993FF402.jpg
      53.9 KB · Views: 421

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I got my hunter safety in high school in virginia in about 86 (I think it was the last year they did it in school). I still have the card, and my MD DNR account lists it as license "001" (there was no number back then so the maryland clerk, back in the mid 90's just put that number in). A few years ago, I got worried that I'd lose it (also wanted it for potential western hunts), and checked with Virginia to see if I could get something a bit more 'official; than the one I had. Sure enough, I was still in their rolodex, and the sent me a modern, plastic card. It might even have a number on it. I keep the old paper one (along with all my old licenses and stamps) for nostalgia sake..

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    I still have the paper one from MD. I’d like to get a plastic one as well but don’t think that’s an option unless you do the one portion online. My kids did it a couple years back in class and still got a paper card.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I still have the paper one from MD. I’d like to get a plastic one as well but don’t think that’s an option unless you do the one portion online. My kids did it a couple years back in class and still got a paper card.

He mentioned he got the plastic one as a replacement from VA.

MD still issues paper ones as far as I know. I can ask my buddy who’s son got one a year or two ago. Mine’s 5 years old and paper. Though it was in person class.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    These guys were hanging out in front of the carriage house at the farm. All 4 have racks.

Attachments

• 5798B671-3F84-47B4-A32A-263B17A548B4.jpg
      5798B671-3F84-47B4-A32A-263B17A548B4.jpg
      20.9 KB · Views: 304

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    These guys were hanging out in front of the carriage house at the farm. All 4 have racks.

Nice! I’ve seen a couple confirmed bucks, but nobody in about a week and a half. At the time no one had more than spikes coming out. All the rest have been does. Seeing a bunch of them and a few who’ve been regulars several times a day. Pretty sure there are some fawns hidden back in my woods.

Last year the bucks didn’t really start showing themselves till about July. This time I need to get my game cameras out there in August to start seeing who’s who and when they are coming around.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Noticing the fields behind my place that serve as a huge draw for deer to pass my gauntlet are still fallow. Rest of the area is mostly in beans. Its done by Lippy Brothers. Any idea if it's too late for them to be planting yet? Really hope I don't see a mcmansion spec development appear there soon.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I seen two early nice bucks on 24 near San Domingo the other day. I should have tried to get a picture.
    Down by the red roost last night you could hardly drive right at dark. A few decent ones here and there.
    Couple of sika, didn't see no horns. Damm things are hard to see at dusk near or in the ditch.
    Wont be long till its in.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Noticing the fields behind my place that serve as a huge draw for deer to pass my gauntlet are still fallow. Rest of the area is mostly in beans. Its done by Lippy Brothers. Any idea if it's too late for them to be planting yet? Really hope I don't see a mcmansion spec development appear there soon.

I'd think if it wasn't burned yet, may stay fallow? Or maybe lste beans?

AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    First day you make reservations for public land WMAs today.

Excited about the opener, but extremely bummed that after getting thru on the phone at 8:02 (can't call till 8am) my two scouted locations are reserved.

I couldn't help but ask "really, 10 people already called and reserved ahead of me?"

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    First day you make reservations for public land WMAs today.

Excited about the opener, but extremely bummed that after getting thru on the phone at 8:02 (can't call till 8am) my two scouted locations are reserved.

I couldn't help but ask "really, 10 people already called and reserved ahead of me?"

The answer is likely yes. I’ve never been able to reserve hugg-Thomas near me for ML or shotgun any year. Gave up awhile back. I’ve gotten through at 8:03am and no luck. Other times called 30 times before I got through half an hour later and same thing.

Honestly I wish they’d do online or phone a week in advance and allow anyone to enter and then do a lottery drawing for the slots and let you know 3 days in advance. Pick your top 3 places you want to reserve or something in order of want.

AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    Honestly I wish they’d do online or phone a week in advance and allow anyone to enter and then do a lottery drawing for the slots and let you know 3 days in advance. Pick your top 3 places you want to reserve or something in order of want.

Brilliant idea. Maybe when they redo regs again I'll submit that.

I'm still "impressed" at least 2x callers (assuming a group of 3 and a group of 2) got thru, read off five sets of four digit numbers, had the dnr guy read names back to confirm, and reserved all in less than 109 seconds.

I admit is baseless speculation, but I feel like it may be possible there is an alternative process in use.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    Brilliant idea. Maybe when they redo regs again I'll submit that.

I'm still "impressed" at least 2x callers (assuming a group of 3 and a group of 2) got thru, read off five sets of four digit numbers, had the dnr guy read names back to confirm, and reserved all in less than 109 seconds.

I admit is baseless speculation, but I feel like it may be possible there is an alternative process in use.

They have two people answering phones. Each can easily handle 3-4 calls per minute. I agree online would be nice but I’m not sure the capability is there

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom