• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SillySauce

Sep 30, 2016
    So, if the tac 14 and mossberg shockwave transfer as a pistol in MD does that mean that I can put a pistol grip stock on it and not use the handle grip?

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    You can't put a pistol grip stock on any pistol unless its SBRed.

I believe you are referring to a vertical forgrip which is not allowed in a pistol. It would possibly reclassify it as an AOW. Technically the tac14 is not a pistol by ATF rules though. It is transferred under the same regulated firearm rules in MD which is confusing.

To my knowledge you can add a pistol grip if you like and can also add a brace legally. There are companies that sell assemblies with both. Adding the grip and brace changes the overall length which may reclassify the firearm as a pistol under ATF rules.

Clear a mud right? IANAL.

SillySauce

Sep 30, 2016
    I believe you are referring to a vertical forgrip which is not allowed in a pistol. It would possibly reclassify it as an AOW. Technically the tac14 is not a pistol by ATF rules though. It is transferred under the same regulated firearm rules in MD which is confusing.

To my knowledge you can add a pistol grip if you like and can also add a brace legally. There are companies that sell assemblies with both. Adding the grip and brace changes the overall length which may reclassify the firearm as a pistol under ATF rules.

Clear a mud right? IANAL.

I meant like a hogue pistol grip. Does transfer as a pistol needing an HQL or does it transfer just as a regulated firearm like an ar15 receiver?

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Just a pistol grip would be a no-no as it would reduce the overall length. It would make it a AOW and require a tax stamp. Pistol grip with arm brace would be okay as it would increase the overall length, and some are sold already in this configuration.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Just a pistol grip would be a no-no as it would reduce the overall length. It would make it a AOW and require a tax stamp. Pistol grip with arm brace would be okay as it would increase the overall length, and some are sold already in this configuration.

This!!!

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County

this

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Per Federal law, the OAL has to be >26” and it can’t have a stock. Since a pistol grip is shorter than a raptor grip, you’d need a longer barrel on the front end, or a pistol grip with a brace attachment on the back end.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    how about taking a tac14 and making form 1 or whatever to make it a short barrel shotgun? is that legal in MD or becausse it was never sold as a "shotgun" it can never be one.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Even if it were legal to add a pistol grip, it's a poor choice. Ergonomically, the Raptor or birdshead grip does a much better job of handling recoil.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    basically as far as actual firearms go(not suppressors, explosive DDs)
    NFA title 2 arms =
    MG - more than 1 shot per single function of the trigger
    DD - bore over 1/2" not exempted as a tool, fireworks or "sporting purposes"
    SBS - shoulder stock, smooth bore, barrels under 18"
    SBR - shoulder stock, rifled bore, barrels under 16"
    AOW - things that don't fit in other categories,
    smooth bore, no stock, under 26" OAL
    rifled bore, no stock, under 26", designed to be fired by more than 1 hand
    combination of rifle / shotgun barrels between 12-18"
    disguised or improvised firearms aka "pen guns" or "zip guns"

non-NFA arms
    Rifle shoulder stock, rifled barrel, OAL above 26" AND barrels over 16"
    Pistol - designed to be fired with 1 hand,
    Shotgun - shoulder stock, smooth bore, OAL above 26" AND barrels over 18"
    Receiver/firearm - firearm part designed to house hammer, bolt or breech AND firing mechanism
    doesn't fit in other categories, over 26". A folding/telescopic STOCK is measured fully extended, a folding/telescoping BRACE is measured folded/collapsed

So basically smooth bore, over 26" with any brace folded/collapsed, is a non-NFA firearms. If the grip is changed to make it under 26", even if a folding adapter is used on a brace to make it less than 26", then it's an AOW and NFA regulated. The most practical setup with the "non-nfa firearms" is an AR buffer tube adapter with a strong brace, like an SBA4, it has all the benefits of a SBR, but without the paperwork. Thing is, if they decide to redefine that "brace" as a "stock", it would be a SBS, and require removing it till you get an approved form 1 back. The 13-14" barrels really are about as short as you want to go on a 12ga anyway, under that and you loose capacity, and velocity quite a bit. I really wanted to get a tac13 with an SBA4/ pistol grip setup before 2020 hit, and what would essentially be a cool impractical range toy got bumped way down the list.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I see that SillySauce deleted his post supra, but he asked if it's sold as a pistol, and you need an HQL, why can't you swap the raptor grip for a pistol grip?

Made sense to me, but I'm the dumbest sunuvabitch that ever drew a breath.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I see that SillySauce deleted his post supra, but he asked if it's sold as a pistol, and you need an HQL, why can't you swap the raptor grip for a pistol grip?

Made sense to me, but I'm the dumbest sunuvabitch that ever drew a breath.

This class of weapon has to be 26" or longer overall length. Installing the pistol grip would make it shorter than 26", which would be bad unless you had already gotten the tax stamp.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    How is the Tac 14 sold in Maryland? Is it not a handgun, even though one needs an HQL? Is it sold as a 'firearm' and thus the Federal > 26" comes into play?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.

It’s been awhile since I got mine but I recall it falling under firearm and had a 7 day wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom