• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I'm looking at gokarts for my son.
    Any advice on what to get? I'd love one with reverse and suspension but I really just don't want to spend out for a new one until I'm sure he's going to want to spend time on it.

What are your kids running? How fast do they grow out of the small ones and into a larger one?
    Did you feel like reverse and suspension are worth it?
    He's 8 and has been riding a 110 chinese quad and a crf50 for years.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I got my kids a Yerfdog with a 6.5 Tecumseh a couple years ago. My 7yo still isn’t big enough to run it herself. That thing flies. Has a full suspension and handles hills and rough terrain great. I would suggest looking for one of those. They are not made new anymore but can be found used on CL and other places. BMI Karts also stocks pretty much every part for them as well and the bonus is the Harbor Freight Predator 6.5 engines are a direct replacement for the tecumseh.

This is a few years ago when my daughter was 2 for size comparison. They are big enough for me to get into comfortably and haul ass around.

Attachments

• 623B6E97-E1F7-41EC-8A88-D35F71915B2B.jpg
      623B6E97-E1F7-41EC-8A88-D35F71915B2B.jpg
      162.2 KB · Views: 328

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    I got my kids a Yerfdog with a 6.5 Tecumseh a couple years ago. My 7yo still isn’t big enough to run it herself. That thing flies. Has a full suspension and handles hills and rough terrain great. I would suggest looking for one of those. They are not made new anymore but can be found used on CL and other places. BMI Karts also stocks pretty much every part for them as well and the bonus is the Harbor Freight Predator 6.5 engines are a direct replacement for the tecumseh.

This is a few years ago when my daughter was 2 for size comparison. They are big enough for me to get into comfortably and haul ass around.

+1, great carts. And the HF Predator motor really is a drop in replacement. Very easy swap

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Nice.
    Our trail at the house is pretty tight and not off camber, but I'm sure he will manage to roll it.

I'd love to build him a mini crawler, this is part of the segway to get him some wheel time and practice carrying momentum in a vehicle with an axle and a steering wheel.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Get one for where you can run it. I found a junk one with no suspension, replaced the rear axle so both tires were driven and it was a blast, until the oldest kid shot the youngest across the blacktop sideways... No suspension is hard on your back, trust me.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    When the kids outgrow this one I will go crazy with it. Maybe a 250 dirt bike engine or something like that.

I have always wanted to do a golf cart with an 883 sportster engine.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Hardest part is putting the power down without eating tires. I did a solid axle on the 5 hp one I rebuilt and that locked rear tore up the front tires because it always wanted to go straight. Fun little thing and it was pretty quiet with a 4 cyl car muffler installed.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    When my son was 7 he was racing an 80cc shifter kart setup, along with a 100yamaha set and another 80 clutch kart. Man we’re they fun. 80mph on some tracks , like the Rock , Daytona and such.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    When I was a kid (14-15?), I got a little honda 110 three wheeler. Buddy of mine many-fold upped it with a 200x (top of the line four stroke that the had, one step down from he 250R ring trike). Then for some reason he sold it and picked up and old Honda Odessey - that's like a one seater 250cc two stroke go-kart.

Things got really nutty when he pulled that 250cc motor and shoehorned in a Kawasaki H2.... (500CC two stroke). Talk about a death-kart.

The next step, he found an old pinto motor and trans, and just built a little offroad car around it, but it didn't work out that well. The frame was made out of angle iron and was super heavy. The brakes couldn't stop it. It was fun, we were just kids learning to play with motors, welders, etc. Better than sitting around smoking pot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom