• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mwzephi

Dec 28, 2018
    Anne Arundel
    I just got my Sig P320. I’ve watched a number of videos on best way to clean it but some say don’t breakdown past the slide and some say do the hard job and break it down to the bare min. Any recommendations? Typically shoot White Box 9MM if that helps. Do you recommend a price equal ammo?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    There is really no everyday, practical reason to go farther than a basic "field strip" to clean a pistol.

Just for an example, my agency armorer went 15k rounds without cleaning a P229, only lubing it. Not 1 malfunction at all. Only reason he broke down to clean it was because his OCD could take only so much. :)

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Slide, barrel, frame. Clean and light touch of oil when you have a minute. If you carry every day, wipe it off with a rag every few days and be really light with the oil as carry guns are dust and lint magnets. Once each year break it down and give it a good scrub. I ultrasonic mine because I have one and I’m lazy.

Most semi-auto pistols are pretty simple and don’t require a lot of maintenance. Just a quick inspection to make certain the recoil spring isn’t broken or damaged.

If you have compressed air (even the little cans work) shoot a little into your magazines once in a while to clean out any dust, lint, or other objects that may have found there way inside. IMO, magazines tend to be the weakest part of any semi-auto firearm.

Enjoy the SIGness.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Field strip to lube the contact points often, field strip to wipe out dirt and maybe boresnake the barrel every few thousand rounds, and you won't have any problems. No reason to take apart the FCG unless you are swapping parts.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    My recommendation, is based on my P-226 Legion and M11/A1. I would remove the slide. On the lower just wipe it clean and oil it with whatever you prefer. Look for those areas where you see wear. On the upper, remove the guide rod, the spring, the barrel, slide and breech-block face. Clean these parts properly. Lube with what you prefer, again looking for those areas where you see wear. I would then use grease for the slide guide (grooves). Fully stripping the weapon in not necessary until you have put a few thousands of rounds through it.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017

Why not? I see no need to fully disassemble my P226 every time I shoot it. If it starts acting poorly, sure fully disassemble it and clean it. I include looking for problem as part of the process. I also include a function as part of the reassembly process.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Why not? I see no need to fully disassemble my P226 every time I shoot it. If it starts acting poorly, sure fully disassemble it and clean it. I include looking for problem as part of the process. I also include a function as part of the reassembly process.

I meant why disassemble all the trigger group parts when you don't have to? Unless there is a physical problem. Unless it's filled with sand or something down inside there.

A basic field strip to clean is all most need to do. Why should someone risk not being able to put it back together again when they don't have to?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I don't clean mine every range trip. If I'm shooting cast lead, it depends on the pistol. I'll go 500 rounds through my .22LR Buckmark before I'll clean it. It just depends on the pistol. I've never taken a pistol all the way down, ever. I did break down the slide on my Ruger American Pistol, since I was getting light strikes and wanted to may sure the striker and channel were free from debris and were dry as a bone.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    I meant why disassemble all the trigger group parts when you don't have to? Unless there is a physical problem. Unless it's filled with sand or something down inside there.

A basic field strip to clean is all most need to do. Why should someone risk not being able to put it back together again when they don't have to?

I'm not advocating to fully disassemble the pistol. And I agree that unless there is some compelling reason, I don't think that is necessary. Hence the "If it starts acting poorly" statement.

So far the only thing I have done to my lowers is wipe it with a lint free cloth and oil/grease the parts that move or show wear. Some people may go further to prevent carbon build up under parts they can't get to without removing them. And again that is just "My recommendation", each to their own. Some people recommend disassembly of magazines. I have to admit I don't think I have ever done that but twice, once in the mud (job related) and the second in some really fine Caleche dirt (it almost as fine as talcum powder).

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'm not advocating to fully disassemble the pistol. And I agree that unless there is some compelling reason, I don't think that is necessary. Hence the "If it starts acting poorly" statement.

So far the only thing I have done to my the lowers is wipe it with a lint free cloth and oil/grease the parts that move or show wear. Some people may go further to prevent carbon build up under parts they can't get to without removing them. And again that is just "My recommendation", each to their own. Some people recommend disassembly of magazines. I have to admit I don't think I have ever done that but twice, once in the mud (job related) and the second in some really fine Caleche dirt (it almost as fine as talcum powder).
    Oh definitely dip down in there with some sort of CLP on a pipe cleaner. :)

Mwzephi

Dec 28, 2018
    Anne Arundel
    I appreciate all the feedback. I tend to watch various videos and opinions and i don’t feel like doing more than is needed to Target shoot and have it ready when needed

Mwzephi

Dec 28, 2018
    Anne Arundel
    Do you have any recommendations on the ammo? Again, been using Winchester white box. Seems to be pretty common. I am just target shooting. I looked at the Sig ammo but don’t get the value of paying $15 more per couple hundred rounds.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I just got my Sig P320. I’ve watched a number of videos on best way to clean it but some say don’t breakdown past the slide and some say do the hard job and break it down to the bare min. Any recommendations? Typically shoot White Box 9MM if that helps. Do you recommend a price equal ammo?

My P320 is my home defense gun so I clean it after every range trip or two depending on how much I've shot. I just field strip it and do the barrel, spring, guide rod, and run a brush with some cleaner inside the slide. Every few range trips I will take the fire control group out, brush it with some cleaner, and wipe off the excess. It's also a good time to clean out the grip frame and wipe off the takedown lever.

Ammo wise I order all of my ammo from Target Sports USA because I have their Prime Ammo service which saves me something like 8%. I shoot 124gr Federal American Eagle and Sig Elite Performance for practice. Without the discount they sell Winchester White Box for $10.49 and the American Eagle is $9.49 for a box of 50. The Sig is a little more expensive at $13.49 per box of 50 but I use Sig Elite Performance V-Crown as my defensive rounds and the Sig Elite Performance FMJ shoots the same as the V-Crown so I don't have to shoot as much defensive ammo for training.

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    I find WWB (Winchester White Box) to be more than a little dirty and more than a little inaccurate when I tried it in my Sig Pro SP2022.

I like Blazer or Blazer Brass, Privi Partizan, Sellier & Bellot, Fiocchi, Magtech, PMC Bronze, Speer and Sig Sauer a whole bunch better than WWB.

Palmetto State Armory has some decent sales on 9mm right now.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Do you have any recommendations on the ammo? Again, been using Winchester white box. Seems to be pretty common. I am just target shooting. I looked at the Sig ammo but don’t get the value of paying $15 more per couple hundred rounds.

Ammo jon is an industry partner on this board. You could ask jon what he has in bulk and buy a 1000 rd case. Cheaper the better for target practice ( some won’t use steel casing which is the cheapest but i have never had issue with 9mms). He’s real easy to do business with and a case or two is a nice luxury and its only 20 boxes, which go fast if you shoot a bit.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I find WWB (Winchester White Box) to be more than a little dirty and more than a little inaccurate when I tried it in my Sig Pro SP2022.

I like Blazer or Blazer Brass, Privi Partizan, Sellier & Bellot, Fiocchi, Magtech, PMC Bronze, Speer and Sig Sauer a whole bunch better than WWB.

Palmetto State Armory has some decent sales on 9mm right now.

Me too. ^^ Good advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom