• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    Anyone know of some good local places I can pick some up. I have one ten rounder so basically I have nothing. I want to get some mags so I can take this thing out and have some fun at the range. It has been sitting since Sept. all too quiet.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I would suggest the polymer milsurps. The plum, black, and brown ones with the metal reinforcements work very well. Also the Tapco slab sided ones that they revamped with stronger polymer are amazing. Some of the coolest looking and best functioning are the 30 and 45 round bakelite mags with reinforced locking points, but they can be expensive, whereas you will sometimes see the aforementioned milsurps for as little as 15 bucks a piece depending on availability. I think classic has some in stock right now if I'm not mistaken.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    oh, and if you get the tapcos and they don't tell you what iteration they were, or when they were manufactured, you can tell by rubbing the side of a quarter against the polymer.

If it just barely scratches it, it's the old polymer recipe, if it doesn't make a scratch, it's the newer, stiffer, harder recipe with more glass fiber reinforcing the nylon. Don't scratch like you're scratching a lotto ticket, scratch as if the coin is a wheel spinning in place, so the textured edge mills the polymer

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    I run the tapcos with that waffle look to them with no problems. just a wee bit of side to side wobble but no FTF with about 500 rounds through the couple that I have.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Anyone know of some good local places I can pick some up.

In Maryland?

That's an easy one.

Zero.

You can't buy magazines in-state; it's illegal to do so (save for the ultra-limited capacity of 10 rounds or less, which is rare to nonexistent for an ak-74 type rifle in the first place). Nor will any online vendors ship to Maryland.

Go to a gun show in PA or VA, or pay retail at a gun dealer in any neighboring state. Or get a PO box out of state, and buy them online and have them shipped there. Just make sure you pick a retailer that will still bill a MD address, but ship to an out of state one.

HOORAY FOR MARYLAND!!!

Can't wait to leave. Can't say I'll miss the place either.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    About the only thing good about this state is that you are never more than 90 minutes from civilization.

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    In Maryland?

That's an easy one.

Zero.

You can't buy magazines in-state; it's illegal to do so (save for the ultra-limited capacity of 10 rounds or less, which is rare to nonexistent for an ak-74 type rifle in the first place). Nor will any online vendors ship to Maryland.

Go to a gun show in PA or VA, or pay retail at a gun dealer in any neighboring state. Or get a PO box out of state, and buy them online and have them shipped there. Just make sure you pick a retailer that will still bill a MD address, but ship to an out of state one.

HOORAY FOR MARYLAND!!!

Can't wait to leave. Can't say I'll miss the place either.

Yeah I already knew that, I'm no noob, just hoping someone knows a place that I can drive to that isn't 4 hours away. I almost never have weekends free so gun shows are normally out.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Yeah I already knew that, I'm no noob, just hoping someone knows a place that I can drive to that isn't 4 hours away. I almost never have weekends free so gun shows are normally out.

Depending on where you live in Maryland you might have to suck it up and find a weekend ahead of time with a gun show in mind to make the trip since I have been to out of state gun stores that never have '74 mags since the '74 is considered a niche gun in this country which is only popular for now because surplus ammo is cheap as it is. That is how I got all of my '74 mags and from large gun show vendors. Forget the Ma and Pa places.

Sometimes you have to make a sacrifice if you want to enjoy this hobby in Maryland.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Depending on where you live in Maryland you might have to suck it up and find a weekend ahead of time with a gun show in mind to make the trip since I have been to out of state gun stores that never have '74 mags since the '74 is considered a niche gun in this country which is only popular for now because surplus ammo is cheap as it is.

That's a really long sentence.....

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    Not to hijack this thread, but I was actually thinking about picking up a few of those 10 round Tapco range mags for my AK-74. I've heard a lot of bad things about not buying the mil-surp mags. But if I want to do any bench-rest shooting, that seems to be about the only low-cap choice out there in 5.45x39.

Assume I am not planning to bet my life on the things or use them for SHTF. If they eventually wear out because they are all plastic, I don't care.

I really just want to know whether the 10 rounders will feed those 10 rounds reliably or whether they are going to annoy me so much from day one that they aren't worth the trouble.

Anybody use them enough to know?

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I have those 10 rounders. They feed reliably but are a pain to load. Every round after the 2nd I have to push a couple extra mm in to load the next one if that makes sense.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    The ten rounder blows. But like was mentioned above, the 30s are hard to shoot on a bench. I am going to make a little stand on a piece of plywood just to take my rest up a 1/2 inch or so. That way the mag wont rest on the bench when I am shooting.

I have two of the orange Tapco mags and couldn't be happier. No issues. I was chasing the bulgarian circle mags but couldn't find anyone to ship them to. So when I went to Texas, picked up the mags and took them home with me. Along with some AR pmags. great trip....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom