• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    So after much debate between getting another AR or an AK before the deadline I chose the AK. Now I need to decide between the AK 47 and the 74. What do you guys think. I'm leaning towards the 47 because I feel like the ammo is more available and I am sick of hunting for ammo for my 5.56.

I'm not sure who has 47's in stock right now, I'm likely going to be going to Engage to buy the rifle and support my local vendors and I am fairly certain tehy have a few 74 variants in stock or coming soon.

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    Get both. Seriously.

Duffy's Gun Room, and IP here, had a MAK-90 (a 47) in stock last I checked. Great 7.62 gun.

Engage is getting a few more Arsenal 74's in the near future.

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    I eventually got both. For you I would get the 74, since you are used to the 5.56. The big blooper arc of the 7.62 might be really annoying to you. It is very similar to a 30-30, but it sounds like you are from the AR world. Get the AK version of what you have been shooting and I think you'd be happier with it.

My humble 2 cents.

Gundahar

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Some things to consider in your purchase as well:

-cheap mags and widely available
    -ammo more widely available and domestic

-Good surplus mags expensive
    -Ammo cheap for now and all foreign except Hornady which is expensive as well as can be finicky because of plastic-tipped cartridge. All it takes is an executive order and cheap 5.45 surplus is gone forever.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Picking up my AK 74 tomorrow.

I am stocking up on ammo in anticipation of that "executive order".

And no, not making fun. I believe that 0bozo will do it, and that a revolution is coming.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I weighed the same issue - and decided to go 74.

7.62 is cool, but the ability to buy a huge pile of those 5.45 spam cans for not a lot of money and have basically the most economical centerfire rifle cost per round really won me over. If I was into reloading maybe that wouldn't matter a lot. But if you are going to shoot a lot and not reload, then the price of ammo is a very big deal.

The 74 is the Russian version of the 5.56, with similar performance at much lower cost.

If money were no object, and/or I knew the gun wasn't going to get more than a couple hundred rounds a year through it, I'd buy the 47, just because I think it is cooler to have that "classic" AK round.

But I want a gun I will shoot a lot, and that pushed me towards the 74. Although I am going to see if I can also buy a 47 before October 1, because the best choice here is not to choose and get both if you can swing it.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I weighed the same issue - and decided to go 74.

7.62 is cool, but the ability to buy a huge pile of those 5.45 spam cans for not a lot of money and have basically the most economical centerfire rifle cost per round really won me over. If I was into reloading maybe that wouldn't matter a lot. But if you are going to shoot a lot and not reload, then the price of ammo is a very big deal.

The 74 is the Russian version of the 5.56, with similar performance at much lower cost.

If money were no object, and/or I knew the gun wasn't going to get more than a couple hundred rounds a year through it, I'd buy the 47, just because I think it is cooler to have that "classic" AK round.

But I want a gun I will shoot a lot, and that pushed me towards the 74. Although I am going to see if I can also buy a 47 before October 1, because the best choice here is not to choose and get both if you can swing it.

where are you finding cheap 5.45

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    what should I expect to pay for a medium quality AK? I don't think I have the coin right now to drop it on one of the higher end models. Even though this is a last chance thing sometimes you just can't have it all.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Classic Firearms is selling the Waffen Werks AK-74s for ~$675, so you should be able to buy one for ~$750 OTD.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    where are you finding cheap 5.45

Depends on how you define cheap. I see it for under 20 cents a round from gunbot, etc. frequently but not always. Often you need to buy multiple cans to drop it under 20 cents. Is that a screaming bargain? No. But compare it to either 5.56 or 7.62 or even 9mm for that matter. As far as I can tell you need to drop down to rimfire to go lower cost per round than 5.45. At least that is how it looks today. The risk is it may change. That is why stocking up should be part of your thought process. If all you can get is the Hornady stuff - then the 74 is no bargain shooter.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Depends on how you define cheap. I see it for under 20 cents a round from gunbot, etc. frequently but not always. Often you need to buy multiple cans to drop it under 20 cents. Is that a screaming bargain? No. But compare it to either 5.56 or 7.62 or even 9mm for that matter. As far as I can tell you need to drop down to rimfire to go lower cost per round than 5.45. At least that is how it looks today. The risk is it may change. That is why stocking up should be part of your thought process. If all you can get is the Hornady stuff - then the 74 is no bargain shooter.

I can tell your a n00b:D

the 5.45 boat set sail long ago

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I can tell your a n00b:D

the 5.45 boat set sail long ago

On this - you bet. Guilty as charged. If I had been on the ball and gotten into this a couple years ago I'd have bought it all at $120 a spam can. I am a guy who shot some occasional trap & skeet and did a little 22 plinking now and then. It was always something I was going to do someday - get more seriously into shooting. Then someday suddenly became - now or never. Figure it out or give up on it. So I started figuring it out. I am not going to let them have the satisfaction of boxing me out.

This site has been really helpful in kicking me a few notches up the learning curve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom