Gas appliance hook-up... license required?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Have we had a rash of recent gas leaks or fires that I'm not aware of to necessitate these laws? Oh wait no we are just too stupid to do anything ourselves without regulation

This just went into effect in MOCO and it's just another arrow in the quiver to GTFO.
    Pure $ for County inspectors, no 2 ifs ands or buts.
    F them. We must be as stupid as they think - people are paying it.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I don't think it is just gas appliances. In Dec. my washer kicked the bucket, called Lowes and the next day washer was delivered and set up. A week later the dish washer crapped out called Lowes and was told it would take a 4 or 5 days to get it delivered and installed, because it now requires an electrician to hook it up. Didn't need any kind of permit.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    I purchased a gas range at a home improvement store, to be delivered this upcoming weekend. I have installed similar appliances in the past, however, the store employee said that gas appliances must be now installed by a certified technician in Maryland due to a recent law.

I can't find any such state regulation, only reference to a Montgomery County rule that says precisely what he said (ref here: http://www6.montgomerycountymd.gov/apps/News/press/PR_details.asp?PrID=7925. I am in Carroll county, and have searched in vain for a county ordanance that says the same. I did find one that applies to gas HOOKUPS, which seems to be referring to the house connection to the main line.

Does anyone have firsthand knowledge if this is required, and if so, suggestions on who could do it? Or perhaps, that I could do the work myself and have it inspected for a lesser fee?

He quoted over $170 for hookup and another $170-something for inspection/certification, which seems ridiculous to me for a 15 minute job. I know a licensed technician's time doesn't come cheap, but for something I can do in less time than it takes to call the technician... I just object on principle :).

I've installed brakes & calipers on a 6 ton vehicle, dropped 75 gallon gasoline tanks to install new fuel pumps, removed and reinstalled 65 lb propane tanks (motorhome), haven't killed myself yet. I'm sure I can handle pipe dope, a wrench, and some soap bubbles :D.

I'd say go buy your new stove and hook it up. Do the bubble test when you first turn the gas back on then a few hours later as a follow up.

Someone charging $170 to swap an old stove for a new stove should be arrested for theft.........

garyad

I'd say go buy your new stove and hook it up. Do the bubble test when you first turn the gas back on then a few hours later as a follow up.

Someone charging $170 to swap an old stove for a new stove should be arrested for theft.........

This ^^^^^ It's not rocket science.

Installing a new service or gas line is a different animal.

LoneRanger

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 22, 2009
    This ^^^^^ It's not rocket science.

Installing a new service or gas line is a different animal.

It's no kinda science at all......a 1" open end wrench and some plumber's dope...guess they call it dope because that is what you are if you pay someone to do it for you.............

I mean it's the same level of difficulty as swapping propane tanks on your grill........

The heads of the trade unions must lie awake at night dreaming this stuff up....guess that is why they get the big bucks from their member's dues.....

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Make sure that the dope is rated for gas. There is some Teflon tape looking stuff that wraps on the threads but is yellow and rated for gas. Normal tape I have been told isn't rated for gas.

That may have been a ploy to get my buddy to spring for a few extra bucks. If it keeps the house from blowing up and killing everybody, it's a few bucks that's worth it.

cougar70

Jan 15, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I've replaced gas hot water heaters, gas stoves and gas dryers, plus uninstalled/installed gas dryers/stoves while redoing floors/cabinets and never had a problem.

And no, I'm not a plumber, I work in in IT in an office.
    It's just another way to 'tax' the citizens of this state.

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    I was under the impression that they had to do a "pressure" test on the gas line to make sure there are no leaks somewhere along the line.

yep, generally they do. they can do that from the regulator or the appliance depending on type. Or, you can check ALL of your connections with bubbly stuff. It is important to check them all in case you bumped something loose while you were working.

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    guess Im overly cautious call a comapny who does this for a living STAY SAFE.
    many yrs ago I had landlord give me a newer stove he hooked it up flames coming out of knobs above oven door OMG OMG never ever again it aint worth it

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    When it comes to gas (like a water heater) I'll call my brother-in-law. He's a manager for Modern Controls with 15 years of HVAC/Electrical experience.

He helped me install my gas hot water heater a few years ago. I just pay him in food and what ever parts are needed.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    It's no kinda science at all......a 1" open end wrench and some plumber's dope...guess they call it dope because that is what you are if you pay someone to do it for you.............

I mean it's the same level of difficulty as swapping propane tanks on your grill........

The heads of the trade unions must lie awake at night dreaming this stuff up....guess that is why they get the big bucks from their member's dues.....

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh. They may get the idea that you need a trained professional and an inspection to do this.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Jesus, what's next? Are they going to say you need to call an electrician and get a permit to plug in your new refrigerator? Electricians already need a separate license for MoCo. which is beyond stupid.
    When does this crap ever stop?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Jesus, what's next? Are they going to say you need to call an electrician and get a permit to plug in your new refrigerator? Electricians already need a separate license for MoCo. which is beyond stupid.
    When does this crap ever stop?

taxing rain...oh wait...:innocent0

You wouldn't believe the ignorant people coming into an auto parts store... cant even change their own battery or wiper blades:sad20:

Id say swap it....check your lines for leaks...and call it good..

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    best bet ,
    Call the permits office and ask them . Since its only the flex line they will probaly laugh at ya :D .

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    taxing rain...oh wait...:innocent0

You wouldn't believe the ignorant people coming into an auto parts store... cant even change their own battery or wiper blades:sad20:

Id say swap it....check your lines for leaks...and call it good..

I would believe it. I'm a contractor and I've had clients on Potomac ask me to come out to change a light bulb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom