Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Maryland Regional Discussions > Western Maryland
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2020, 06:23 PM #1
Nickberg500's Avatar
Nickberg500 Nickberg500 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: South East
Posts: 224
Nickberg500 Nickberg500 is offline
Member
Nickberg500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: South East
Posts: 224
Savage River Shooting Range

Has anyone shot here in the last few weeks? Family is doing a vacation near there and I'm considering bringing rifles for target practice. Anything I should know or be aware of ahead of time?
Nickberg500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2020, 07:03 PM #2
outrider58's Avatar
outrider58 outrider58 is offline
Goggle it Einstein
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 27,824
outrider58 outrider58 is offline
Goggle it Einstein
outrider58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 27,824
Be there at sun-up Sunday morning and shoot with the Hooligans. Tell them outrider58 sent you.
Oh, and bring a 'fiver' with you. It costs $5 to shoot for one day.
__________________
Any comments made by me are made with the intent to spur discussion only.
Proceed on your own accord...
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2020, 07:13 PM #3
Nickberg500's Avatar
Nickberg500 Nickberg500 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: South East
Posts: 224
Nickberg500 Nickberg500 is offline
Member
Nickberg500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: South East
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
Be there at sun-up Sunday morning and shoot with the Hooligans. Tell them outrider58 sent you.
Oh, and bring a 'fiver' with you. It costs $5 to shoot for one day.
I'll see what I can do, we might have to go on a week day though. Can I bother you with a few dumb noobie questions?

I'll be traveling from central Maryland. Would it be dumb or illegal to pack a pistol to practice here (ie storage in a rental house)? Does the range allow pistols and/or shotguns (I'm guessing just slugs)? Does the range have targets available?
Nickberg500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2020, 08:10 PM #4
j8064's Avatar
j8064 j8064 is offline
Garrett Co Hooligan #1
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Deep Creek
Posts: 11,091
j8064 j8064 is offline
Garrett Co Hooligan #1
j8064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Deep Creek
Posts: 11,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickberg500 View Post
Has anyone shot here in the last few weeks? Family is doing a vacation near there and I'm considering bringing rifles for target practice. Anything I should know or be aware of ahead of time?
As Outrider said there are some folks who shoot at the Savage River range regularly. If you search for "Hooligan" here on the forum you might find a lot more threads like the recent one below:



https://www.mdshooters.com/showthrea...95#post5914695
__________________
"Happiness is a warm gun..." - John Lennon, 1968

"Happiness is also a warm Beagle" - j8064
j8064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2020, 08:31 PM #5
j8064's Avatar
j8064 j8064 is offline
Garrett Co Hooligan #1
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Deep Creek
Posts: 11,091
j8064 j8064 is offline
Garrett Co Hooligan #1
j8064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Deep Creek
Posts: 11,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickberg500 View Post
I'll see what I can do, we might have to go on a week day though. Can I bother you with a few dumb noobie questions?

I'll be traveling from central Maryland. Would it be dumb or illegal to pack a pistol to practice here (ie storage in a rental house)? Does the range allow pistols and/or shotguns (I'm guessing just slugs)? Does the range have targets available?
Savage is a 100 yard DNR range. Facilities are limited to the port-a-potty. Metal target stands are there, but bring 24X36 cardboard and some zip ties to hang on the stands to place your targets on.

As Outrider said the fee is $5 per person for per day. Envelopes are there at the range to drop in the box. And DNR here needs the $.

Paper targets only - NO glass, cans, plastic bottles etc. No full auto and no launched clays. Other than that, generally you're GTG. And please! Clean up after yourself! We Hooligans usually spend a half hour every Sunday picking up other people's garbage to help keep the range clean.

And, of course, you have an open invitation to join us some Sunday morning.

__________________
"Happiness is a warm gun..." - John Lennon, 1968

"Happiness is also a warm Beagle" - j8064
j8064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2020, 06:12 PM #6
Nickberg500's Avatar
Nickberg500 Nickberg500 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: South East
Posts: 224
Nickberg500 Nickberg500 is offline
Member
Nickberg500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: South East
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by j8064 View Post
Savage is a 100 yard DNR range. Facilities are limited to the port-a-potty. Metal target stands are there, but bring 24X36 cardboard and some zip ties to hang on the stands to place your targets on.

As Outrider said the fee is $5 per person for per day. Envelopes are there at the range to drop in the box. And DNR here needs the $.

Paper targets only - NO glass, cans, plastic bottles etc. No full auto and no launched clays. Other than that, generally you're GTG. And please! Clean up after yourself! We Hooligans usually spend a half hour every Sunday picking up other people's garbage to help keep the range clean.

And, of course, you have an open invitation to join us some Sunday morning.

I'll try to make it. You said morning, roughly what time range? Like, 10-12? 8-10?
Nickberg500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2020, 06:30 PM #7
outrider58's Avatar
outrider58 outrider58 is offline
Goggle it Einstein
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 27,824
outrider58 outrider58 is offline
Goggle it Einstein
outrider58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 27,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickberg500 View Post
I'll try to make it. You said morning, roughly what time range? Like, 10-12? 8-10?
Usually in the winter, it's near sunup. I think summer, 0900 is good. But I could be wrong...
__________________
Any comments made by me are made with the intent to spur discussion only.
Proceed on your own accord...
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2020, 07:15 PM #8
j8064's Avatar
j8064 j8064 is offline
Garrett Co Hooligan #1
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Deep Creek
Posts: 11,091
j8064 j8064 is offline
Garrett Co Hooligan #1
j8064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Deep Creek
Posts: 11,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickberg500 View Post
I'll try to make it. You said morning, roughly what time range? Like, 10-12? 8-10?
Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
Usually in the winter, it's near sunup. I think summer, 0900 is good. But I could be wrong...
This time of year we are usually set up and shooting by 0800 on Sunday mornings. Depending on the weather (and number of Tourons that show up sometimes) we're usually packing up by 1100 or so.

We would be glad to meet you Nick. If you come to the range please introduce yourself.



PS: I'm pretty sure there will be some white smoke in the air at the range tomorrow morning...

__________________
"Happiness is a warm gun..." - John Lennon, 1968

"Happiness is also a warm Beagle" - j8064
j8064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Maryland Regional Discussions > Western Maryland


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2019, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service