• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    How good of a powder is Universal? I've read that it's very similar to Unique in it's applications. Is there any advantage of using Universal over Unique?

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    How good of a powder is Universal? I've read that it's very similar to Unique in it's applications. Is there any advantage of using Universal over Unique?

Universal is a ball powder whereas Unique is a circular flake. Universal is arguably cleaner if that matters. Ball powders meter better.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I'd offer BE86 as an alternative to Unique (though I do love Unique). It is a close relative, but has small flakes and meters great.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Universal is very close to Unique , frequently using the same charges . It's not quite an " Official " direct substitution , but it's very close . As noted , Universal is ball powder, meters well , and is somewhat cleaner .

FWIW , BE-86 was a popular non-canister powder popular with OEM ammo makers for decades before being offered as Canister powder . About the same burning rate as Unique , but denser ( less fluffy ) , so thereby better suited to some semiauto loads . Small flakes to meter comparitively better than Unique , somewhat cleaner .

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've been researching powder lately for pistol reloading, partly due to thinking about what I currently use, and partly to see what alternatives there are. My initial basis of "knowledge," lacking as it may be, came from the reloading data on reloaded ammo I brought back from Nebraska that my father had reloaded. I know he used other powders - I can remember as a kid him showing me the "Dots," red, blue and green, and I remember his powder shelf having canister after canister of various powders on it, but at the end of the day, everything handgun I actually brought home - 38 SPC, 357 mag, 41 mag, 44 mag, 45 ACP, and 45 Long Colt - were all reloaded with just 3 powders.

1. Unique (41 mag, 44 mag, 45 ACP, 45 LC)
    2. HP38 (38 SPC, 45 ACP)
    3. 2400 (357 mag)

In my own efforts I've added Bullseye (but only because I'd initially ordered HP38, and when Midway called to inform me it was back ordered, and that's what I chose as a substitution) Herco, and Longshot. I have some Power Pistol, but I have yet to use it.

I've been scouring the net to see if there are "better" choices than what Dad loaded with, and honestly, after reading things online, and digging through my reloading manuals, I think the powders in the loads I brought back home in 2008 are solid choices to have on a reloading bench. There might be alternatives, and there are powders that might push a bullet faster, but I'm not sure that there is much out there that is inherently "better" than HP38/W231, Unique, and 2400.

Dad had kept fairly meticulous records on his reloading - notebook ledgers of nearly every round he'd ever loaded from the early 1950s to when he passed in 1997. Unfortunately after he passed away, those notebooks got lost in the shuffle. I sure wish I had them now, if for nothing else to try to extrapolate preferences and pet loads.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well , for those ctgs ( all revolvers , plus sn "honorary revolver" ) your Classic Three are very versatile . Heck , you still have untapped possibilities with them .

And the obvious possible gaps , you have already filled : Bullseye for Really Faster , and Longshot for " Slower than Unique , but faster ( and cleaner) than 2400 " . ( Not that I am bothered by " dirty powders , but it's commonly discussed .)

Anything further would be in pursuit of a niche . Absolute highest velocities in magnums, 300gr plus bullets in .44, .45 , max velocity for certain bullet weight in .45 Colt AND keep inside SAAMI pressures , etc .

[ If you had a buncha high pressure semiauto ctgs , they inherently are more specific powder requirements , with powder volume being just as important as burning speed . You would need a bigger powder selection , or be willing for large gap from potentials .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom