• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I grind mine off/out. Swaging 1000 pieces of brass ain't that much fun.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Problem solved. Move on.

:D

For those that come along with a similar problem, do you think it could be my lubricant? I’m using the Lee stuff. I have some Hotshot coming today. Does the lubricant need to dry some before becoming effective? It’s frustrating getting started, and then encountering a stuck piece of brass that has to be cut free.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    For those that come along with a similar problem, do you think it could be my lubricant? I’m using the Lee stuff. I have some Hotshot coming today. Does the lubricant need to dry some before becoming effective? It’s frustrating getting started, and then encountering a stuck piece of brass that has to be cut free.

I don't know what you mean? Are saying you have to cut brass off the swaging mandrel?

It should have a plate that just knocks the case off as the press handle is raised.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I don't know what you mean? Are saying you have to cut brass off the swaging mandrel?

It should have a plate that just knocks the case off as the press handle is raised.

When I press the ram up to the shell, the shell will get stuck onto the rod. The only way I can remove the shell from the rod is to unscrew the rod from the housing and cut the shell to remove it.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    There are two different rods for the RCBS swager. You must be using the large one in 223/5.56 cases.

c9F8Dp0.jpg
    [/IMG]

Ql3rY7H.jpg
    [/IMG]

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    When I press the ram up to the shell, the shell will get stuck onto the rod. The only way I can remove the shell from the rod is to unscrew the rod from the housing and cut the shell to remove it.

There are two different rods for the RCBS swager. You must be using the large one in 223/5.56 cases.

c9F8Dp0.jpg
    [/IMG]

Ql3rY7H.jpg
    [/IMG]

O I see now, use the small rod for the smaller cases like this and adjust it until it just touches the case web. You don't want to smash the case from the inside with over compression.
    Lower the press handle, and adjust downwards just enough to hold the case against the radius of the swage till you get it just so.
    Different head stamps may need further adjustment so sorting cases makes it easier.
    Before you know it you'll be able swage just by feeling the resistance.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I was using the smaller diameter of the two rods. As I sit here thinking, after finishing swaging a couple hundred rounds, I was thinking could it have been my not lubricants the necks enough or too soon after applying the Lee lubricant? Does it need to dry a little to become the most effective?
    I only had one shell get stuck on the rod after a couple hours of applying the lube.

It seems the Dillion SS would
    Be the most efficient swaging tool for my purpose. I expect to obtain much of my .223 brass from the range.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    O I see now, use the small rod for the smaller cases like this and adjust it until it just touches the case web. You don't want to smash the case from the inside with over compression.
    Lower the press handle, and adjust downwards just enough to hold the case against the radius of the swage till you get it just so.
    Different head stamps may need further adjustment so sorting cases makes it easier.

I’m unsure of the term case web. Case you define case web, please?

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG

Doco,
    I quit trying to make it work at cam-over on the press. As you surmised, it takes too much adjusting so I just run the case up and do it by feel. Some cases I have to turn 90 degrees and do again.
    if you get in a rhythm it's boring and repetitive, but I can live with doing it.
    Maybe the Dillon is in my future.
    The Hornady cutter is my resort for really hard brass. I don't like cutting the brass away, would rather smoosh it in.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I use my Dillon while watching TV. Do the rubber band mod, and it is quite quick.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yep. And do them all or sort them well so you don’t have to do it again.

Yes, I keep my processed brass separate from my once fired mil brass.

If I pick up range brass, I find that for 5.56, if it has a silver primer, it has been reloaded. It it has a brass colored primer, it has not.

But easiest is, any range pick up is assumed to be crimped. It will not hurt to swage the pocket a second time.

Heck, if you have a Dillon 1050, it swages every primer pocket every time you load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom