• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leroy

Jan 16, 2021
    Squirrel hunting in Howard County

Can somebody please help me can you squirrel hunt with a 22 in Montgomery and Howard County ‘s?

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I think he is pulling your leg. I squirrel hunt there and have for many years with various 22 caliber rifles. You see them and then you chute em. I hunt in both counties at the border at the Patuxent river park area.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    There is a Montgomery county ordinance that prohibits shooting a rifle at anything that is not on the ground. Google Montgomery county weapons law. I can’t remember if Howard has the same

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    OK, Thanks.
    So now in MD we have to read and memorize the DNR rules/regs,, then search out any added laws/rules/regs/whims in each county we want to hunt in.

There is a Montgomery county ordinance that prohibits shooting a rifle at anything that is not on the ground. Google Montgomery county weapons law. I can’t remember if Howard has the same

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    OK, Thanks.
    So now in MD we have to read and memorize the DNR rules/regs,, then search out any added laws/rules/regs/whims in each county we want to hunt in.

Pretty much!

Howard County regulations:https://library.municode.com/md/how...inances?nodeId=HOCOCO_TIT8CRMI_SUBTITLE_4WECO

TLDR: Varmin on the ground only with a .22. Unless maybe if there is a backstop? See bold.

SUBTITLE 4. - WEAPONS CONTROLS[4]
    Footnotes:
    --- (4) ---
    Editor's note— C.B. 8, 2015, § 1, adopted May 12, 2015, changed the title of title 8, subtitle 4 from "Firearms Control" to the present title.

Editor's note— C.B. 33, 1976 repealed §§ 8.400, 8.401 and enacted in lieu thereof new §§ 8.400—8.500. Former subtitle 4 contained provisions regulating firearms, derived from ch. 109, 1966 and C.B. 41, 1973.

State Law reference— Weapons crimes, Ann. Code of Md., Criminal Law article, § 4-101 et seq.; restrictions on local regulations of firearms and ammunition, Ann. Code of Md., Criminal Law article, § 4-209.

Sec. 8.400. - Definitions.
    Terms in this subtitle have the meanings indicated.

(a)Blank ammunition: Any ammunition composed of a casing and a primer contained as one unit, but not containing a projectile or projectiles. Blank ammunition also includes black powder, nonprimed antique.
    (b)Department of Police: The Department of Police for Howard County.
    (c)
    (1)Facility means a building, structure, or camp designed for occupancy or use by human beings.
    (2)Facility includes a dwelling, house, and residence.​
    (d)Fixed ammunition: Any ammunition composed of a projectile or projectiles, a casing and a primer, all of which shall be contained as one unit.
    (e)Gun: Any firearm, rifle, shotgun, revolver, pistol, air gun, air rifle or any similar mechanism by whatever name known which is designed to expel a projectile through a barrel by the action of any explosive, gas, compressed air, spring, or elastic.
    (f)Metropolitan District: The Howard County Metropolitan District as created and modified by the County Council pursuant to Howard County Code title 18, "Public Works," subtitle 1, "Public Utilities," and identified on official plats available for public inspection during reasonable office hours in the Department of Public Works.
    (g)Safety zone: means the area within a distance designated by section 8.403 of this subtitle from any facility where the discharge of firearms is prohibited by section 8.403 of this subtitle.
    (C.B. 33, 1976; C.B. 38, 1985; C.B. 7, 2007, § 1; C. B. 1, 2009, § 1; C.B. 17, 2017, § 1)

Sec. 8.401. - Discharge of guns—Prohibited.
    (a)A person shall not discharge any gun within the Metropolitan District, whether the gun is loaded with fixed or blank ammunition or projectiles of any kind.
    (b)A person shall not discharge any gun outside the Metropolitan District, whether the gun is loaded with fixed or blank ammunition or projectiles of any kind, except at varmints on the ground.
    (c)A person shall not discharge a gun from, onto, across, or within 100 yards of a public road.
    (d)A person shall not, without the prior written consent of the property owner, discharge a gun on, from, onto, or across any public or private land.
    (e)This section shall not apply to:
    (1)The discharge of guns at any target, trap or skeet range or shooting area which has been inspected and received the written approval of the department of inspections, licenses and permits pursuant to section 8.406, "Authority to Inspect and Approve Ranges or Shooting Areas," of this subtitle; or to
    (2)The discharge of guns by any person in a private basement or cellar target range; or to
    (3)The discharge of guns where necessary to protect life or property, including crops or livestock, or to kill any dangerous threatening animal; or to
    (4)Any duly authorized law enforcement officer acting in the proper performance of his/her official duties; or to
    (5)The discharge of blank ammunition in theatrical performances, historical reenactments or sporting events; or to
    (6)The firing of salutes by firing squads at military funerals; or to
    (7)The discharge of guns by any person engaged in bona fide wildlife research activities.​
    (C.B. 33, 1976; C.B. 10, 1985; C.B. 17, 1995; C. B. 1, 2009, § 1)

Sec. 8.402. - Carrying or discharging of guns by person under 16 years of age; penalty.
    (a)It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of 16 years not legally engaged in hunting game in that area not within the Metropolitan District to carry or discharge a gun whatsoever at any time within the County unless under the immediate supervision of a person 18 years of age or over at the time of shooting.
    (b)This section shall not apply to persons under 16 years of age carrying or discharging guns in areas not within the Metropolitan District which expel projectiles by gas, compressed air, spring or elastic power, where the persons have completed a course approved by the Department of Police in the safe operation of guns. The course completion shall be evidenced by a certificate to be issued by the Department of Police and shall be displayed upon reasonable demand by a Law Enforcement Officer.
    (c)A Law Enforcement Officer may impound the gun of any person who shall violate the provisions of this section.
    (C.B. 33, 1976)

Sec. 8.403. - Special provisions for hunting.
    (a)Notwithstanding section 8.401 of this subtitle, a licensed hunter may discharge a gun if the hunter:
    (1)Is lawfully hunting outside the Metropolitan District:
    (i)On property the hunter owns; or
    (ii)On other property with the prior written permission of the owner; and​
    (2)Complies with subsections (c) and (d) of this section and all applicable state laws or regulations.​
    (b)Notwithstanding section 8.401 of this subtitle, a licensed hunter may discharge a shotgun if the hunter:
    (1)Is lawfully hunting on not less than ten acres inside the Metropolitan District:(i)On property the hunter owns; or(ii)On other property with the prior written permission of the owner; and
    (2)Complies with subsections (c) and (d) of this section and all applicable state laws or regulations.​
    (c)
    (1)
    (i)The safety zone is the area consisting of 150 yards around a facility.(ii)Without written permission of the property owner, a person shall not discharge a gun within, from, onto, or across a safety zone.​
    (2)Whenever a person discharges a gun, the person shall:
    (i)Ensure that the projectile has a downward trajectory;
    (ii)Be sure that the discharge is towards a safe, visible backstop; or

(iii)Use a shotgun that contains only shot.​
    (d)In addition to any other penalty provided by law, a person has committed a class a offense under title 24, subtitle 1 of the Howard County Code if the person discharges a gun and a projectile from the gun damages a facility or personal property, including pets and livestock, regardless of whether the person has complied with all other provisions of this section.
    (C.B. 33, 1976; C. B. 1, 2009, § 1)

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Reading all of this make this statement just a little easier to make. I have lived in Maryland for many years, and each year I'm here, it makes me want to move back to Pa a little more.

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    Reading all of this make this statement just a little easier to make. I have lived in Maryland for many years, and each year I'm here, it makes me want to move back to Pa a little more.

Similar issues. The suburban areas around the major cities still have local laws. Then we talk about PA's liquor/beer laws. People think MD is bad.
    Our governments exert control over us everywhere. We just have to find a home in which we can tolerate the particular oppressive laws. Try New Hampshire? Or is "live free or die" just something they stamp on license plates?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom