Bushmaster?
    Rock River Arms?
    Other?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Both Continental and Christian Solider have had more than fair prices on the RRA Tactical Entry carbine lately.

It's chambered in 5.56 meaning you can shoot .223 Remington out of it. Chrome chamber, 2 stage trigger, collapsible stock.

Very nice setup.

Talk to our very own JeepDriver here if you might want to venture out that way to check out what they have.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I have a Bushmaster that has functioned flawlessly through thousands of rounds with minimal cleaning. In fact, I've NEVER cleaned my rifle; I wait until Norton thinks it's disgusting and he'll clean it for me.

I'm sure other AR's function as well, but that's my two cents. ;)

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Lambo don't quote me on this one but take a good look at the rate of twist in the barrel before you buy. Don't take the word of the owner but instead research it. 1 in 7 vs 1 in 9 twist. 1/7 twist is tighter and will not handle the heavier bullets heading downrange past 150 yards, they will start yawing. I was issued an M16 A2 at Ft Bliss Texas and experienced my only failure in qualifying in my military career and had to requalify due to bad ammo mixup.:mad54: I believe what you are looking for is 1/7 twist, the A2 version. If you are looking for long range shooting, heavier grain bullet than choose 1/9 twist.
    Chromed barrels last longer than non chromed but non chromed barrels are target barrels.
    Take the bolt out and see if there is any wear on the bolt face. Check for brass on the bolt face. Check for parts that have been interchanged within the gun just to make sure he didn't use that opportunity to upgrade another gun. Check for fit and finish between the upper and the lower. Check for bubba having to anything whether it is pin holes, tool marks anywhere, look into the lower receiver and look for spring marks being interchanged. Take out the buffer assembly from the buttstock and check for cleanliness, shake it. Take out the bolt assembly, take it apart look for missing gas rings around the bolt, Check for anything that doesn't look right to you. Bolts cannot be interchanged without using a head space gauge. Go-No go gauge. Take a good light and peer into the chamber and see if there is any rust or pitting in the chamber if there is stop inspecting and send it back with a note explaining why. Chambers will not cycle if pitted.
    If you are in doubt send it back. Do not buy a gun over the internet without a three day garantee inspection period.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Dang, you know WAY too much stuff!

But serving in the military, and having your life depend on the functionality of the rifle probably demands it.

Thanks for that info. I never really thought of inspecting so much on a rifle. Of course I bought my AR new from a very reputable dealer.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    FWIW....tagging on to U.S.SFC_RET's post. The RRA has a 1:9 twist. I was told that this is probably the most flexible configuration. Right now I'm using 55gr and it seems to be pretty dead on.

I haven't gotten the front sight post adjusted, but was still able to put it on about a 12" square at 300 yards with open sights. I don't if that's good for anyone else but it is dang good for me.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Same with mine, 1:9 twist. And I usually use 55 grain rounds except for a load of 62 grain that I have....which seem to shoot as well as the 55's.

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    1/7 twist is tighter and will not handle the heavier bullets heading downrange past 150 yards, they will start yawing.
    I agree with all that was said except this statement. The 1/7 twist was implemented to better stablize the 62gr (vrs 55gr ball) SS109 and will stabilize up to 75 gr. A 1/9 twist is a good compromise.

A good source for MD readers. http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/

john1122

Nov 26, 2006
    Abingdon, MD
    All excellent info on the twist rates, same with inspection. I have one of each rifle (RRA, Bushy, 2 CMMG, and 2 Colts). All are great guns, the newer colt 6731 is definetly sloppier than the rest. (and the older 6450). By sloppier, I mean tool marks on the lower, rear sight misaligned. For my money, if I had to buy another I would get another RRA.

Skeptic

Dec 19, 2005
    Middle East
    I went with the new Smith and Wesson M&P AR15. I really like the feel and the way it shoots. Great rifle. I suggest one of these. I also like Colt HBars and they are cash and carry (for what its worth).

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    If youre interested, theres a GB going on over at thehighroad.org . I know I am trying to talk myself out of it since I just bought a 1911...

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    If youre interested, theres a GB going on over at thehighroad.org . I know I am trying to talk myself out of it since I just bought a 1911...

Same here....I just bought a Taurus 357 snubbie so I'm high and dry for a while.

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    I have some 5 Local dealers attempting to price a RRA LAR 15 A2 NM for me. Rock River Arms is not returning their calls. Maybe they (RRA) don't need the business. I'm told there is a Panic Buy ongoing since the outcome of the Election. I'll take a look-see at the S&Ws!

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    I'm not sure if you already know this or not, so if you do, don't hit me too hard. You could always build one. I got my stripped lower from Fulton Armory (haven't finished building mine yet). Then you can buy whatever parts or kits you want to build it the way you like. Stag, RRA, and Double Star (and others I'm sure) have kits to finish the build. Over at AR15.COM, they have some impressive photos of home built ARs. :thumbsup:

crabhab

Feb 14, 2007
    I went with the S&W MP15T for the 5.56 and 223 ability with the 1:9 barrel for ammunition capability. I liked the S&W reputation for quality (even though they do not manufacture the parts they spec em).

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    I went with the S&W MP15T for the 5.56 and 223 ability with the 1:9 barrel for ammunition capability. I liked the S&W reputation for quality (even though they do not manufacture the parts they spec em).

The Stag Arms has all those features - it's basiclly the same gun since Stag makes them for S&W - have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom