• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Has anyone shot a 11.5" .223/5.56 in an indoor range? Is the blast and concussion barrable?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    You think I would really make the person next to me mad? lol

No, it's really not that bad. Most of the sound is directed downrange.

When you get less than 10", it starts to get ridiculous. But it is a great reason to buy a suppressor.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    hmm, I have a choice between an 8.5" 300 AAC or 11.5" 5.56. I'm just concerned about blast due to the fact that I constantly annoy my neighbor when I shoot my 18" AR with a muzzle break on it. I’m switching the muzzle break out for a KAW Valley linear Comp though. Maybe if I stuck a linear or blast redirect devices on the 11.5” it would be less annoying.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    As long as I'm not feeling a blast of wind every time my 'neighbor' shoots, I can stand the noise. Guns make noise.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I did give the neighbors a heads up it was about to get loud, then went ahead .

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The blast is horrible. You’re good as long as you have hearing protection.

If you shoot indoors without hearing protection. You’re risking permanent hearing damage.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    just don't take the lane by the wall. The reflected shockwave will rattle you twice.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well, like I said. Only been once and we were all shooting suppressed lol.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    hmm, I have a choice between an 8.5" 300 AAC or 11.5" 5.56. I'm just concerned about blast due to the fact that I constantly annoy my neighbor when I shoot my 18" AR with a muzzle break on it. I’m switching the muzzle break out for a KAW Valley linear Comp though. Maybe if I stuck a linear or blast redirect devices on the 11.5” it would be less annoying.

Go linear comp. I’ve got a Midway/generic one that weighs a ton, but works well on my 10.5” AR pistol in 5.56. Volume and blast is slightly above my 16” AR-15 with an A2 bird cage on it.

I mean, it throws some fireballs, but at shooters location and reported from my buddy to my side it isn’t much worse.

My 20” with a KAW linear comp on it is down right pleasant to be around. I mean, wear ear pro around it still, but nicer than any AR-15 that didn’t have a silencer on it that I’ve ever been around.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Also brakes, depending on the design, easily increase volume and blast at shooter location and to the sides by several times. I’ve seen tests that show an increase of 10dB in some cases. That is 10x louder. Another way to look at it is making a .223 about as loud as a .338LM with no brake.

Why I don’t hang real brakes off my rifles. Now if it was something really hard recoiling and I was only going to use it from a bench, sure. I don’t race my AR-15s. I see no reason to need a brake for bench shooting and absolutely not for hunting. A light weight AR-10 in .308 if I was going to be shooting it a lot maybe. Shooting it a lot sounds like a bench gun and no reason to have a light bench gun.

Just my 2 cents.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Also brakes, depending on the design, easily increase volume and blast at shooter location and to the sides by several times. I’ve seen tests that show an increase of 10dB in some cases. That is 10x louder. Another way to look at it is making a .223 about as loud as a .338LM with no brake.

Why I don’t hang real brakes off my rifles. Now if it was something really hard recoiling and I was only going to use it from a bench, sure. I don’t race my AR-15s. I see no reason to need a brake for bench shooting and absolutely not for hunting. A light weight AR-10 in .308 if I was going to be shooting it a lot maybe. Shooting it a lot sounds like a bench gun and no reason to have a light bench gun.

Just my 2 cents.
    I agree, Im replacing one of my new builds brakes. It has 3 giant side ports and it literally blasts everyone around me. Everytime I shoot it it grabs everyone's attention due to how loud it is lol. Replacing with a kaw valley linear compensator tommorow.
    03770079e9e7165d2fbe11ae006c5e76.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I bet it's a lot quieter than my 50 Beowulf. It sounds like a cannon going off at the indoor range. Neither is too bad on the shooter. Your neighbors may have some words to say about ya. Belly up to the table to get your barrel past the dividers. Seems to dissipate the noise for the shooters a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom