• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    Im not a reloader, but i figured those of you who are or maybe even not can answer my simple little question. What is the difference between 5.56 and .223? My AR is marked 5.56, but was told and do shoot .223s through it. Should i stop or is it ok?

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    I'm not a reloader either but here is how I understand it. 5.56 has higher chamber pressures, but they are the same form factor. Therefor anything chambered for 5.56 can use .223, but not vice versa unless it is specifically mentioned. The Mini-14 is one such exception, it says it is chambered for .223 but in the manual it mentions it can handle 5.56.

HoChiWaWa

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    7.62 NATO by the way goes the other direction, civiy .308 is primarily designed for bolt actions and has a higher chamber pressure than the NATO round primarily for semi-autos, anything chambered for .308 should handle both, and I bet most semi-autos could handle both, however you might want to think twice before putting some hot .308 hunting loads through your FAL.

This is as it was explained to me.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    My Rock River is chambered in "wylde' to shoot 5.56 and .223. As a rule you don't shoot 5.56 in a .223 chambered rifle. Or so I have been told.

Some of the experts will set us right on this I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom