• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    I'm not sure when I would actually do it, but I might as well do some research now. While I do have technical questions I'll eventually deal with, for now I want to get logistical issues out of the way.

Reading things has made me lean more and more towards building/assembling one myself both because of the savings and because I enjoy putting things together. Of course, that raises a question of whether or not stores in MD sell lowers and uppers or if I'll have to get them ordered/transfered. Being a newer shooter residing in Montgomery County means my experience with gun stores is a bit limited (it's eerie compared to when I'm at school and can find rifles and shotguns at a Dick's Sporting Goods in Glen Burnie) so I seriously have never checked if a store carries parts for guns in addition to the usual accessories, ammo, and guns themselves.

If anyone wants to toss any other advice or info on doing this kind of thing, please feel free. I'm all ears.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    If you really want to build your own, it's not too big of a deal to get a receiver. Otto's Police Supply in Glen Burnie does transfers as does A+D Pawn.

John and Chris Rhines over in your part of the world will do a transfer for you as well.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    You can get a receiver for about $140 after all of the shipping, transfer and background check fees.

It's a great way to build the rifle exactly the way you want it, and if you enjoy putting things together, you'll love building an AR for yourself.

Lots of vendors sell uppers, trigger groups, stocks etc.

When the next gun show comes around to Dulles, you should try to go....there's usually a ton of great AR stuff there.

nighthawk2099

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2006
    Backwoods, SouthWest Arkansas
    :thumbsup:

I'm in the process of building my first AR ( and possible 5 more in the next couple months ). You will want to stop my AR15.COM, they have everything you would ever want to know. Thier Equpiment Exchange is an excellent place to pick up deals on uppers and other parts. Also, you can see many pics of other people's builds so you can get an idea of what you want to build.

I picked up a stripped lower from Clint at Fulton Armory for $170, but like Spott77 said, you can get them online and transferred for about $50 cheaper. With the reciever and parts, I'm putting together a full 20" A2 HBAR for around $600. Close to $400-$500 cheaper than most shops in MD sell them. PLUS - I have the joy of knowing my rifle from the inside out.

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    You can definitely save some money by at least getting the upper and lower separately. I'm putting together an AR with a RRA midlength A4 upper w/ss barrel ($255 from LegalTransfers on ar15.com) and an Ameetec Arms complete M4 lower w/H-buffer ($224 shipped from JKiser on ar15.com).

John Rhines is doing the transfer for me. He's a pretty long drive for me (although not too far from rockville), but letting me fondle a couple of his and Chris's competition guns was worth the drive:party29:. It also made me decide that a JP Fire Control System and float tube are in my distant future. Now I just have to cross my fingers that the damn MSP not disapproves me before next Monday.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    Another question popped into my mind: Are receivers regulated? It seems kinda silly, but I'm not leaving silliness to chance in MD. I seem to recall someone saying that heavy barreled rifles aren't, implying that normal barrels are but have no idea if that impacts do-it-yourselfers.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Another question popped into my mind: Are receivers regulated? It seems kinda silly, but I'm not leaving silliness to chance in MD. I seem to recall someone saying that heavy barreled rifles aren't, implying that normal barrels are but have no idea if that impacts do-it-yourselfers.
    Good question. I would guess that they are regulated because they don't have the heavy barrel. Think the worst possible interpretation of the firearms law with Doug Gansler in the Attorney General office. If you want to check though you can write the MDSP licensing division for an official answer.

Nick29

MD expat
    Jan 17, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    There's a lot of confusion about which ARs are "regulated" and which aren't, but I can say fairly confidently that a lower without a barrel is assumed to be regulated.

About HBARs, the MD law says specifically that Colt Sporter HBAR rifles are not regulated. It doesn't say that any AR with an HBAR is non-regulated, as many people (including some dealers who are apparently selling all HBARs as "normal" guns) seem to think.

IMO, with a gungrabber like Gansler in office, the buyer and seller are both taking a risk if a transaction on any AR other than the Colt Sporter HBAR is treated as non-regulated.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    +1 Back when the Fed AWB was still in place, I bought an Olympic Arms PCR. The first thing the dealer did when I came to pick it up was take the hardguards off to check the barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom