• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Awesome about your wife, wish mine was like that. I guess this will eventually go for rifles too?

She told me yesterday she "needs to learn how to use all the guns we have, including those rifles."

She's not "into" guns the way people here are. But she's more than literate and even going so far as to teach her family and friends how to use pistols now. And she would carry in a heartbeat - it would be much easier for her than for me. Shes the kind of person the Brady's are terrified of: a woman recently introduced to firearms and interested in them as simple tools to extend her safety. She is no "gun nut" and won't be crawling the aisles of Joe Bob's Gun Show any day soon. She'll pick her tool, learn to use it well, and leave it at that. Just like a car.

My 'practical' issue with carrying is jurisdictional and sensitive/private places. I routinely go between multiple states and work with a great many entities that would frown upon weapons; and in general I am happy to oblige a request from someone when it comes to their property. It'd be a constant game of on/off. And frankly, most of the places I work are protected to the point a gun on my person would become annoying more than anything else. Not to mention all the flying I do, sometimes going to/from in a single day or afternoon. And frankly, I'm not personally interested in carrying (for no particular reason).

There is a lesson in here for MD lawmakers: it's not just gun-totin' Dirty Harry kind of guys that recognize that the Bill of Rights essentially says one thing: "stay away from my rights." It is not a list of permissions from the government, it is a list of restrictions on the government.

The more people we get like my wife, the easier this will all become.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Awesome about your wife, wish mine was like that. I guess this will eventually go for rifles too?

I'm assuming the "this will eventually go for rifles" is not about Patrick's wife (don't mess with her) but about Open Carrying of Rifles??

I believe this is currently a valid legal gray area in MD. A former sage here suggested such, that the prohibitions on carry are pertinent for handguns and do not reference rifles.

Other questions such as to/from the range and doing it on foot or a bicycle while carrying your arms are another gray area as it doesn't reference vehicles, only transport....

In another year, it would be worth testing the waters on this one in MD. Remember the gent in AZ with an AR on his back while the President was in town a year or so ago? This is not outside the norm of the "main stream" states.

It would be fun (someday) to park a mile from Sanners and walk the remaining distance with my Remington over my shoulder...I'm all about exploring the boundaries, however I'll just wait until one or two cases are under our belt...:innocent0

I'll have to dig up the various statutes pertaining first...

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I'm assuming the "this will eventually go for rifles" is not about Patrick's wife (don't mess with her) but about Open Carrying of Rifles??
    My misunderstanding. Too much tea today. Took it as an opportunity to launch yet another soliloquy on getting moderate non-gun people to view these things as the tools they are.

As for rifle carrying...if MD (or any state) is permitted to require concealed carry for firearms, it'll be awful hard to walk around with an AR in a 2-point sling. Trench coat, maybe?

Cue screencaps from "The Matrix".

I've met a bunch of you and can honestly say: we all are not like Neo... ;)

krucam

Ultimate Member
    My misunderstanding. Too much tea today. Took it as an opportunity to launch yet another soliloquy on getting moderate non-gun people to view these things as the tools they are.

As for rifle carrying...if MD (or any state) is permitted to require concealed carry for firearms, it'll be awful hard to walk around with an AR in a 2-point sling. Trench coat, maybe?

Cue screencaps from "The Matrix".

I've met a bunch of you and can honestly say: we all are not like Neo... ;)

My interpretation could be off as well...too much coffee! We'll await fightenbluehen's (sp?) elaboration.

However the idea of a long trench coat and a legal SBS...oh, never mind...

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    She told me yesterday she "needs to learn how to use all the guns we have, including those rifles."

She's not "into" guns the way people here are. But she's more than literate and even going so far as to teach her family and friends how to use pistols now. And she would carry in a heartbeat - it would be much easier for her than for me. Shes the kind of person the Brady's are terrified of: a woman recently introduced to firearms and interested in them as simple tools to extend her safety. She is no "gun nut" and won't be crawling the aisles of Joe Bob's Gun Show any day soon. She'll pick her tool, learn to use it well, and leave it at that. Just like a car.

My 'practical' issue with carrying is jurisdictional and sensitive/private places. I routinely go between multiple states and work with a great many entities that would frown upon weapons; and in general I am happy to oblige a request from someone when it comes to their property. It'd be a constant game of on/off. And frankly, most of the places I work are protected to the point a gun on my person would become annoying more than anything else. Not to mention all the flying I do, sometimes going to/from in a single day or afternoon. And frankly, I'm not personally interested in carrying (for no particular reason).

There is a lesson in here for MD lawmakers: it's not just gun-totin' Dirty Harry kind of guys that recognize that the Bill of Rights essentially says one thing: "stay away from my rights." It is not a list of permissions from the government, it is a list of restrictions on the government.

Sounds like your wife, like MANY other fair minded people, is beginning to understand the "necessary evil" associated with firearms. All one has to do is to turn on the news, open a newspaper, or read FB feeds and read "another murder in Baltimore today...". Only those elitists, typically liberal lawmakers, who have permanent protection afforded them, continue to live in a bubble of denial. For the rest of us, it's the reality that the economy is going to crap and with it brings more and more unemployed crack heads trying to steal a buck to get high. Of course, realizing the crack heads don't have carry permits and all carry Glock 9's, incentivises one to fight fire, with fire.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Good for you, and your wife...

Mine has 2 of her own handguns (only shoots one, occasionally), but also has a shotty. She's yet to really become interested in them. She has mentioned that she should know more about them, but has only been interested in rudimentary tours of the rest of the weapons to this point.

We are planning to be at the shoot on the 7th... at her insistence... and I'm hoping she catches the hint that this isn't as scary as she may think.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

We are planning to be at the shoot on the 7th... at her insistence... and I'm hoping she catches the hint that this isn't as scary as she may think.

Then don't let her meet the Southern MD contingent of MDShooters. They are a scary bunch. I'd set up near the Montgomery crowd...I hear they bring tea and cucumber sandwiches and only shoot rubber-band guns. :)

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Then don't let her meet the Southern MD contingent of MDShooters. They are a scary bunch. I'd set up near the Montgomery crowd...I hear they bring tea and cucumber sandwiches and only shoot rubber-band guns. :)

I agree. The MoCo types are much more refined than any of them southern boys.
    We get manicures, have poodles named fluffy, believe Barb Mikluski is our deity and we only eat an organic vegan diet. We are also the founders of the PRICK movement (Prius Driving Inspirational Conglomerate of Kinsmen)

SpringChicken

Sep 17, 2010
    We get manicures, have poodles named fluffy, believe Barb Mikluski is our deity and we only eat an organic vegan diet. We are also the founders of the PRICK movement (Prius Driving Inspirational Conglomerate of Kinsmen)

I hate the fact that I'm a Prius driving, organic (but not vegan) diet MoCo resident with a Cockapoo. My dad won't even talk to me anymore. At least if Wollard goes our way, I'll be a PRICK with a gun instead of just another PRICK!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Sounds like someone is prejudice :lol2:

You can keep them GAPs (Gay A$$ Prius'), and cutesy little smart cars. If the cars can be run off the road by our larger motorcycles, you can keep them too...

Big and Burly is the way to go :)

Tom43491

Dec 9, 2009
    Timonium

Correction... The more people we get like YOU AND your wife! Don't leave yourself out of this statement! One thing I have learned in my short time of trying to become actively involved in the fight for our 2A rights is that it is 100% tied to every other civil right we enjoy as Americans. I never understood fully until getting involved here, and my eyes have been wide open ever since, for the first time ever. People like yourself who are truly dedicated to preserving civil rights in general, and 2A rights in particular, are exactly the kind of people that there aren't enough of in this country, and especially in this state. Allow one right to be chipped away little by little, and others follow. Before you know it, your rights Nd freedoms are gone.

Huge thumbs up from me and mine! Hopefully I will get to meet some of you at this year's rally in Annapolis!:party29:

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Sounds like someone is prejudice :lol2:

You can keep them GAPs (Gay A$$ Prius'), and cutesy little smart cars. If the cars can be run off the road by our larger motorcycles, you can keep them too...

Big and Burly is the way to go :)

We're not compensating for anything.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    My interpretation could be off as well...too much coffee! We'll await fightenbluehen's (sp?) elaboration.

However the idea of a long trench coat and a legal SBS...oh, never mind...
    Yeah, you got my point.

Trust me, I have NO desire to battle rattle around Maryland. Concealed is good enough for me in reality, but...I would like to have the ability to put a "regulated" arm in my vehicle (hidden and secured) for instances of defense when my handgun isn't enough to get me home.

IE: Mad Max situations only.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I would like to have the ability to put a "regulated" arm in my vehicle (hidden and secured) for instances of defense when my handgun isn't enough to get me home.

IE: Mad Max situations only.

I'd like for MD to have the term "regulated" given the boot. BTW, If I didn't work where I do, I'd keep my Keltec Sub2000 and a few mags in my truck for just such an occasion.

Jim

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I'd like for MD to have the term "regulated" given the boot. BTW, If I didn't work where I do, I'd keep my Keltec Sub2000 and a few mags in my truck for just such an occasion.

Jim
    Make mine an AK or an FAL, but still in the same boat nonetheless.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom