• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    First pick up of the year so I thought I would share. Room in the safe is at a premium so I've been going small lately for my new additions. Added a Sauer 38H. From what I can tell based on the markings, configuration, and serial number it is a war time, non military variation produced in the fall of 1944. Didn't get it for a steal, but was happy enough. Since I had some of its 32 ACP cousins out, I took a few pictures along with some other German wartime P38s. Anyone else have a 38H? Would love to see some other pictures posted.

Attachments

• 100_0825.jpg
      100_0825.jpg
      92.5 KB · Views: 872
    • 100_0818.jpg
      100_0818.jpg
      155.6 KB · Views: 848
    • 100_0820.jpg
      100_0820.jpg
      99.9 KB · Views: 820
    • 100_0824.jpg
      100_0824.jpg
      111.2 KB · Views: 825

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Very nice!! Looks like it's in great shape. I don't have one yet, but definitely on my short list. I've been searching for a nice military eagle/37 marked or police eagle/c or eagle/f for a few months now.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've been searching for a commercial 38h, an example with no Nazi markings. They seem, from my lack of success, to be pretty scarce. There seems to be some abrasion on the left front of the trigger guard. Any possibility there was a mark, since removed?

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    I've been searching for a commercial 38h, an example with no Nazi markings. They seem, from my lack of success, to be pretty scarce. There seems to be some abrasion on the left front of the trigger guard. Any possibility there was a mark, since removed?

I thought maybe the same thing when I saw the auction pics originally, but I looked it over when it arrived with a 30x jeweler's loop and nothing on the trigger guard. Looks like machine marks (they are consistent though out both sides of the trigger guard) that you might expect from a latter war piece. The proper Eagle N proofs are present in the right spots, but no military acceptance mark on the trigger guard. I guess it is possible it was scrubbed, but doesn't look like it to me.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    That's a very nice one. I've got one, but the condition is not nearly as good.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia

I've seen quite a few commercial examples recently, not sure what the production numbers were of commercial vs. military/police but seems like they both pop up with about the same frequency. Here are a couple commercial examples on GB right now:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=518229794
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=535878094
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=536145128
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=535187745

Jul 1, 2012
    Very nice!! Looks like it's in great shape. I don't have one yet, but definitely on my short list. I've been searching for a nice military eagle/37 marked or police eagle/c or eagle/f for a few months now.

early hi-polish E/C and E/F; the early E/F is fairly rare (~1200 made).

I never did warm up to them so off they went.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      89.5 KB · Views: 794
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      96.8 KB · Views: 773
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      38.1 KB · Views: 777

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    I'm a fan of the Model 38 too. Here's a pic of mine:
    004s-1.jpg

It has the Eagle/N on slide and Eagle/C on the trigger guard - it also has a VoPo starburst, so it has some cool Cold War history to it too.

025ss.jpg

Another word of caution - unless you want to get in the cocking spring business, as I did (long story short, I ended up manufacturing 100 cocking lever springs after I broke mine. All but 4 sold out :) ), be super careful when tightening the screw that secures the cocking lever. And ditto on the Bakelite grips. If you have the originals, put them away, and buy the $30 replacement rubber grips. Original, good-shaped grips are worth a hundred bucks or more on their own.

Enjoy shooting it! Mine is very accurate, and the cocking lever is a very cool feature.

Jul 1, 2012
    Being careful with those original 38 grips can't be stressed enough (no pun intended).
    Unless somethings changed lately the originals are extremely difficult to find and can top $200
    If you find a nice original pair for $100 don't hesitate - grab it "just in case"
    The original grip screws are hard to find too.

There's a guy from Europe (Polish or Czech) that lists on eBay I believe that has superb replica grips for these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GERMAN-WWII-SAUER-and-SOHN-REPRO-PISTOL-GRIP-COVERS-1938-38H-/291658380265

He also makes excellent Radom viz 35 grips.

per collectors that have bought them, these are virtually indistinguishable from the originals.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Nice pistols guys! Mine is a well worn police model with numbered matching holster and one of the two magazines (done by the local police station NOT the factory). I had to replace one of the grips with a repro as the original went to pieces which is normal with these old clunkers. Otherwise, it's as it came home from Europe:

CasualObserver

Apr 27, 2012
    Being careful with those original 38 grips can't be stressed enough (no pun intended).
    Unless somethings changed lately the originals are extremely difficult to find and can top $200
    If you find a nice original pair for $100 don't hesitate - grab it "just in case"
    The original grip screws are hard to find too.

There's a guy from Europe (Polish or Czech) that lists on eBay I believe that has superb replica grips for these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GERMAN-WWII-SAUER-and-SOHN-REPRO-PISTOL-GRIP-COVERS-1938-38H-/291658380265

He also makes excellent Radom viz 35 grips.

per collectors that have bought them, these are virtually indistinguishable from the originals.

Thanks for the advice guys. Mine are originals and I like to shoot my guns at least a once before I retire them so its good to see I have an option to safely preserve them.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    My only 38h rig. Was curious about why the 38h never was put back into production post war like the Walther PP and Mauser HSc. Turns out their factory was in the Russian Sector and what eventually became East Germany. Sauer opened a new production facility in West Germany in 1951. I'm assuming since all the tooling was lost it was cost prohibitive to resume making the 38h. A shame.

Attachments

• sauer 38h 1.JPG
      sauer 38h 1.JPG
      55 KB · Views: 554

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    IMO, it's still a fresh and relevant design today. Unlike the SIG 220 which only decocks the hammer, the 38H will cock it as well. The only real flaw of the design is the lack of a slide stop.

It should be obvious that the SIG 220 owes much of its lock work to the 38H.

Dawson9a

Jul 1, 2013
    Can anyone tell me more about this 38H

Got this from my Dad and would like to know more about it. From the serial number, 477828, it looks like it would be a Military 3rd variant. The magazine doesn't have any markings on the bottom and I was wondering if it would be the original? No holster unfortunately, but the pistol seems to be in decent condition. Not sure where the original grips are, but I was told they were broken and the walnut grips were put on. Would it be worth it to get the repro grips from eBay or leave well enough alone?

Thanks guys!
    Dave

Attachments

• Sig38Ha.jpg
      Sig38Ha.jpg
      153.8 KB · Views: 276
    • Sig38Hb.jpg
      Sig38Hb.jpg
      155.6 KB · Views: 220
    • Sig38Hc.jpg
      Sig38Hc.jpg
      66.9 KB · Views: 225