• ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    No, no, no! Get her to write some for the rest of us! :thumbsup:

Really, the lady has a gift!

Nice letter Kev. I wouldn't expect a response either, but a patriot is involved in his government, and I don't think anyone would deny you're indeed a patriot.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    As much as I'd like another evil gun, I'll be pushing the money I would spend on that to NRA-ILA

araugh, I hope you don't mind me quoting you here, but that is the very literal putting your money where your mouth is. Holder has started it folks, anyone got $5 or ILA or MSI?

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Random thought this morning - who in Maryland shares many of our views and has donated $237,050 to Republican Party candidates?

Tom Clancy.

Just a thought. May not work out, but it's an idea. I'm not big on the idea of going to him, hat in hand, but perhaps invite him to a shoot or MSI meeting, see if he's interested in joining? I've been looking for contact info, but I have to head out for work.

Martian

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 15, 2007
    PG Co.
    I am extremely active with Second Amendment Sisters, including participating in ladies' shooting events, checking national and state legislature listings for gun-related bills, combing through newsfeeds, checking various sites that post gun news, printing and passing out flyers and booklets (like Grandpa Jack) from SAS, JPFO, etc., distributing Declaration of Independence/Constitution booklets on behalf of SAS, working gun shows, distributing email to "friendly" groups, such as the Republican women's clubs about bills, attend as many days as I can at the Annapolis state house during the legislative session, visit legislators and educate them on 2A issues, send letters, faxes, and email to national and state legislators on 2A-related bills, member of a number of pro-2A organizations, vice president of my range, visit gun stores and other venues to get the word out on important legislation, do radio interviews, write letters-to-the-editor, and appear on TV news programs. I spend most of my vacation days in Annapolis during the legislative session.

Join and donate to Second Amendment Sisters, MSI, the NRA, and other groups whose missions match yours. And join us in Annapolis, write letters, send faxes, or send emails. Everything helps.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    So how do we send a letter to our state senator and rep just telling them that we want more support for gun issues?

I am new to the world of firearms in general and politics.

The first time I ever contacted a representative was last year when I was in a car accident as a result of a driver talking on his cell phone. The cop that wrote the report told me that it wasn't a crime yet and probably never will be in MD. I wrote my state Senator and Rep. The Rep wrote me back with a personal letter telling me she too was in an accident hit by a talker and that she supports legislation to ban cell usage while driving. Later that month I received an invitation to attend a fund raiser dinner for this Rep. It was only like $50 a plate so I should have gone but I didn't. I never heard back from my Senator, not even an automated response.

Do I contact them about specific bills? Or just pepper them with general letters several times a year?

I definitely feel like I need to get more involved. I'm willing to bet that our elected representatives respond best to those that pay the most and yell the loudest. If our current reps don't consider what we say then we need to get behind their opponent in the next election and really help them out.

I think we need to do whatever we can to fight Frosh in the next election since he seems to be the focal point of the legislation. He's already said he thinks we are nuts because we believe in the right to defend ourselves. I don't think he is ever going to come around to a compromise so let's focus fire on him.

When is his term due and are there any candidates for that district yet?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    gamer jim, I'm new to this fight too. What I do is contact them about individual legislation. I usually start with e-mail, follow-up with snail-mail and call if it's time critical. If it's a big enough bill, I'll contact the entire committee or even the entire Senate.

My experience is that some Delegates get back to me very quickly, some never do. Senators seem a bit worse about responding at all. If you get a chance, go down to Annapolis for a hearing. Gives you a good feeling for the place. I'll let some of our more experienced lobbyists give you better info than I have, but thank you for joining the fight.

apsked

Mar 5, 2009
    Joppa, MD
    Whatever I can do to help I am there. I value the rights our forefathers gave us and the rights our troops defended for us. This country was established and based on tradition and it seems as time goes on that we loose more and more of our tradition. Id like to be apart of that fight defending a piece of our tradition. I see you guys mentioning MSI and Id like to know more about it. I am also going to sign up with the NRA. The member ship fees all go towards the proceeds that the NRA uses to fund the defense that us American citizens have the right to bear arms. I think everyone here should be a member of the NRA (only my opinion). Anyways im here for the long run and will help in any way I can

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Whatever I can do to help I am there. I value the rights our forefathers gave us and the rights our troops defended for us. This country was established and based on tradition and it seems as time goes on that we loose more and more of our tradition. Id like to be apart of that fight defending a piece of our tradition. I see you guys mentioning MSI and Id like to know more about it. I am also going to sign up with the NRA. The member ship fees all go towards the proceeds that the NRA uses to fund the defense that us American citizens have the right to bear arms. I think everyone here should be a member of the NRA (only my opinion). Anyways im here for the long run and will help in any way I can

Come pass out flyers with us this evening in Silver Spring.

apsked

Mar 5, 2009
    Joppa, MD
    Oh man I just read read your reply now. Look you guys get together and do something like that again shoot me an email at alexbaltimore@gmail.com its linked directly to my phone. More than happy to help. Won't be available this weekend though goin up to massashusetts. My wife's distant uncle isn't doin too good

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I'm a member of the NRA, i write congressmen, the governor, etc. I advocate responsible gun ownership and safety, I openly debate with anti gun people, respectfully of course. And I try to spread the joy of shooting to everyone I meet. I truly feel that our second amendment rights are under constant threat by people who dont understand the gun culture. I think that if someone wants to challenge gun rights they need to be fully informed before they try to attack them. "whats a barrel shroud? is it that shoulder thingy?" thats a damn shame.

sskijr

Ultimate Member
    Oct 30, 2008
    You have to increase the number of gun owners, it's as simple as that!

The heritage foundation offers free pocket constitutions on their website. I ordered 25 FOR FREE, and began handing them out to anyone I have a political conversation with. As corny as it sounds, I thought is was something I could do.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    You have to increase the number of gun owners, it's as simple as that!

The heritage foundation offers free pocket constitutions on their website. I ordered 25 FOR FREE, and began handing them out to anyone I have a political conversation with. As corny as it sounds, I thought is was something I could do.

i did the same thing. i think i ordered 20 or 24. i'm about half-way thru em as i hand them out to people who need to be reminded of their freedoms.

Martian

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 15, 2007
    PG Co.

Not corny at all. I purchased a large quantity of them last fall and made clear address labels (Avery 5160) with Second Amendment Sisters information on them and pasted them at the bottom of the title page. They are a hit at events.

olzkool

Feb 20, 2009
    Baltimore
    Send Senators money?
    I know that I am a NooB here and with Gun ownership as a whole, and believe me,Once I feel a little more informed, I will Be doing my part to help.(sorry for the run on sentence)
    Maybe it is my ignorence, but as of right now, I ain't sending those crooks one cent of my hard earned money. No way no how.
    Does writing letters work? Do they read them? I'm sorry to interject pessimissm into an otherwise great post/topic. It just seems like I've been hearing this stuff for years about writing letters to congressmen and such and it never seems to do much.
    As of right now, I am working on collecting information and getting my facts straight so that I can help inform other interested people about the joys of gun ownership and our second amendment rights and the percieved peril that they are in.
    What can a new guy like me do to help? I am willing..just not to send those people my money.

You don't have to "send them money" to help out. I can truly understand where you are coming from especially since they have alot more then I do. If you have a local politician that has your best interests at heart, and you would like to contribute, there are many different ways to do so. At work we attend a ton of fundraisers. This not only helps them raise funds for re-election, but is a good time and a good value. We all chip in and buy tables for bull roasts, crab feasts, etc. We have alot of fun and get all you can eat pit beef, oysters, crabs, etc. and all you can drink for about 30-40 bucks a person. A couple will spend twice that at a decent resturant. Whats even better is the owner of our company also has an agenda with some of these guys and frequently buys our tables for us. Its a cheap night out with plenty of food, drinks, and fun, and may just help to keep the gun snatchers out of office.

Just a thought, worse case you will be full, drunk, and have some fun for a few bucks !

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I just joined the maryland shooters.
    I've been NRA member for years.
    IWLA member in Frederick,
    signed up Democrate daughter as NRA member
    I'm looking forward to helping put Jim Rutledge in office as US Senator and boot
    B Mikulski out
    http://www.rutledgeforussenate.com/

Oh, I've writen to our governor several times, called both Mikulski and Cardin's office,
    called Roscoe Bartletts' office number times.
    I've also email Brian Frosh's office a few times.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I like a lot of you a few months ago had no real idea what to do. I joined here about a month ago, I wish I had started a bit earlier when the MD was still in session. I have joined the NRA, sent e-mails to the US and MD senators, reps and to the Gov.

From everything I've read here and other places one of the biggest problems is Frosh, even though I'm not in MoCo and I need to do what I can to help who ever runs againest my reps: Emmett C. Burns, Adrienne A. Jones, Shirly Nathan-Pulliam and sen. Delores G. Kelly, I will do what I can get this blockage replaced so that the bills can at least get to the senate floor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom