• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Since the rules have changed, unless you want others to have access to your trust items (and be able to act as if it were their trust as well (buy, sell, trade, etc.. )), there is really not a benefit to a trust now. The rules are the same for individuals as they are for trusts after rule 41 became the law.

If you move, you need to file a form with the ATF in advance to have permission to take NFA items to a new state and you likely would have to update your trust accordingly as well..

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I've tried reading through this entire thread starting with the 4 pages of back and forth argument between a few. I jumped ahead because my brain started hurting. Rather than trying to understand all the legal procedures and forms, does anyone have an attorney they can recommend that writes up trusts at a reasonable price? And question 2 is if this is a Maryland NFA trust what happens when I move out of state?

Thanks

A lot of people on here have had Britt Stouffer of Stouffer legal in Towson do their trusts for them. (I think she gets about $400 for this, but that's a not really educated guess.) A lot of other people (me included) got our trusts from the internet. In my case, it was like $50 from 199Trust.com and I'm very happy with it.

With moving out of state, that depends on the state that you move to. Some require registration of trusts, most don't. Some require specific language in trusts, etc.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Since the rules have changed, unless you want others to have access to your trust items (and be able to act as if it were their trust as well (buy, sell, trade, etc.. )), there is really not a benefit to a trust now. The rules are the same for individuals as they are for trusts after rule 41 became the law.

If you move, you need to file a form with the ATF in advance to have permission to take NFA items to a new state and you likely would have to update your trust accordingly as well..

Granted this guy makes his living off of doing trusts but he still offers some other pretty compelling reasons for still using them. https://www.guntrustguru.com/do-i-still-need-a-gun-trust-after-atf-41f.html

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are some good reasons for a trust, even now.

But as with most things, it depends on your situation.

If you are single, and plan on staying that way. Have no heirs to leave NFA stuff to, there is not a lot of reason for a trust.

When listing others on the trust, beneficiary in particular, am I able to put my girlfriend as the beneficiary? We live together but she doesn't have the same address on her license currently.

And in order to allow her and my grandfather access to the NFA items, I still have to do a trust, correct?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    When listing others on the trust, beneficiary in particular, am I able to put my girlfriend as the beneficiary? We live together but she doesn't have the same address on her license currently.

And in order to allow her and my grandfather access to the NFA items, I still have to do a trust, correct?

Access to NFA items without you being present. You sure you want your girlfriend on it? Then again, in most cases, it isn't hard to remove a trustee from your trust.

Access to NFA items without you being present. You sure you want your girlfriend on it? Then again, in most cases, it isn't hard to remove a trustee from your trust.

Well seeing as how we're going through the plans to build a house right now, and I will be asking that big question before the end of the summer, yes I do.

Appreciate the clarification about not being present part, though. I wasn't sure how that worked. I just thought it meant access at all

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well seeing as how we're going through the plans to build a house right now, and I will be asking that big question before the end of the summer, yes I do.

Appreciate the clarification about not being present part, though. I wasn't sure how that worked. I just thought it meant access at all

Congrats!

My wife and daughter are my trustees. :)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well here's my issue. Other than my girlfriend, I don't have anyone else that I would list as a beneficiary. But I also want my girlfriend to be a trustee, but I obviously can't have both

I'm not a lawyer so I don't know how that works. My wife and daughter are my beneficiaries as per our will.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Each responsible person (Grantors and Trustees) must complete a form 5320.23. This is also the form that gets forwarded to the CLEO and includes passport picture and fingerprints.

A copy of the trust must also be included. It does not need to be a certified copy.

Hood guidelines are here; https://silencerco.com/form4-trust/

Form 5320.23

Attachments

• resp-person-blank.pdf
      842.7 KB · Views: 219

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I am at the beginning stages of getting a trust set up through britt stouffer's firm for nfa items.

Just to be sure I am understanding them right, I cant add a co trustee ( to be able to use my items with out me there) unless I want them to have to submit prints paperwork and the whole 9 yards each time a purchase is made?

Is this the rule change folks here are referring to ?

So as sole trustee, my wife/beneficiary, or whoever else will be able to use my items, so long as I am present, but not without my present, correct?

is the only remaining benefit of a trust, the fact that you can leave your items to a beneficiary vs the other way of getting nfa items through a sheriff each time?

If someone could try to answer these as best as possible, id appreciate it. I tried sifting through the material above but just want to make sure im understanding properly.

the fee at britt stouffer's firm is still 400 for the nfa trust BTW

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    What's the thought on these?

From Silencer Shop. One trust per NFA item. $25 each or unlimited for $129. Only downside is you'd potentially have a bunch of trusts to manage. I hear you can add trustees after the fact, so only one set of prints, etc has to be sent in. If you add people after approval, everyone can use the items.
    https://www.silencershop.com/single-shot-trust.html

Another option from National Gun Trusts. This seems identical to the Silencer Shop option, except you can have everything in one trust.
    https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/

I'm thinking about starting a 300BO SBR project that will eventually get a can, and the National Gun Trusts option looks pretty appealing. Am I missing something? Is this too good to be true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom