• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    I don't know what Berwyn's plans for it's trap range are long-term, but for the last couple of years they have been meeting at the PG range for shotgunning.

I think Berwyn has some impromptu, free-for-all shooting events at the mayors house. I think it's call the enTRAPment range.

That was low..... Lord I appologize.

:sign03:

Don't mind me - Welcome aboard!

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Berwyn is paying off its current bills from the upgrade/re-opening and I believe the next project is the 200 yd range. They meet tuesdays at PG for trap. Welcome to the board and Gun Connection has a good selection great personnel.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    That doesn't mean there's not some there from before.

True, I am not sure if they did lead removal from that area too, but regardless they really didn't have to anyway because the chemical makeup (acidic?) of the soil naturally encapsulated the lead with a patina/oxidation making it generally inert in a short amount of time. Their lead abatement of the range was just to appease any beurocrat that might have given them issue on reopenning or something along those lines IIRC.
    But in any case, I don't think the lead issue is why they gave up on the regular trap range use. SUcks for me because I liked using that trap range so close to where I live.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    Welcome, I'm in Sherwood, looks like we hve a bunch of Bowieits, maybe we should do a meet and greet?

When the new Buffalo Wild Wings opens down where 450 meets 704, we could meet there =)

its due to open any week now

or:

we could meet at Old Bowie Town Grille

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    True, I am not sure if they did lead removal from that area too, but regardless they really didn't have to anyway because the chemical makeup (acidic?) of the soil naturally encapsulated the lead with a patina/oxidation making it generally inert in a short amount of time. Their lead abatement of the range was just to appease any beurocrat that might have given them issue on reopenning or something along those lines IIRC.
    But in any case, I don't think the lead issue is why they gave up on the regular trap range use. SUcks for me because I liked using that trap range so close to where I live.

No, they treated the berms with a chemical that encapsulated the lead and made it qualify for disposal as regular waste, rather than toxic waste. And this was done to satisfy an EPA requirement that all ranges must have a lead abatement plan.

andyman

Former Senior Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    pg county
    When the new Buffalo Wild Wings opens down where 450 meets 704, we could meet there =)

its due to open any week now

or:

I would highly recomend this place, and not only because it's 2 minutes from my house:D

andy

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    well they have the upstairs which is mostly closed.. I bet we could get something going pretty easily.. just not wednesday nights..

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County

I would highly recomend this place, and not only because it's 2 minutes from my house:D

andy

hmmm.... sounds like a bias... but I'd be in!

Think I can still find my way over there...:party29:

Forum member Houserocker's band is playing there this Friday night - go show some support!! I'll unfortunately be out of town, but the more people we can get there-the better :thumbsup:

andyman

Former Senior Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    pg county
    Forum member Houserocker's band is playing there this Friday night - go show some support!! I'll unfortunately be out of town, but the more people we can get there-the better :thumbsup:

Darn, We'll be MIA also, I love that place. Blow it up Houserocker:party29:

andy

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    No, they treated the berms with a chemical that encapsulated the lead and made it qualify for disposal as regular waste, rather than toxic waste. And this was done to satisfy an EPA requirement that all ranges must have a lead abatement plan.

Actually I don't think it was EPA but rather an anticipation of the EPA requiring it and it had more to do with appeasing local and state officials or the court. It turned out that the insurance company that insures MD gun ranges also required it.

But I repeat, the top soil already encapsulated the lead fragments by creating a patina layer because of its chemical composition. They discovered this when they closed down and commissioned a study of the surrounding soil. The difference between the berms encapsulating the lead is that the way it is treated as the type of waste after removal and instead of being hazardous waste it is just industrial waste or something. BUt this was an aside to the fact that the soil in and around Berwyn does not allow the lead to disolve in the rain water runoff and the lead quickly turns mostly inert once buried in the soil there.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Actually I don't think it was EPA but rather an anticipation of the EPA requiring it and it had more to do with appeasing local and state officials or the court. It turned out that the insurance company that insures MD gun ranges also required it.

But I repeat, the top soil already encapsulated the lead fragments by creating a patina layer because of its chemical composition. They discovered this when they closed down and commissioned a study of the surrounding soil. The difference between the berms encapsulating the lead is that the way it is treated as the type of waste after removal and instead of being hazardous waste it is just industrial waste or something. BUt this was an aside to the fact that the soil in and around Berwyn does not allow the lead to disolve in the rain water runoff and the lead quickly turns mostly inert once buried in the soil there.

yeah, they've done a bang up job the last few years, fighting being shut down, and bouncing back. They're way ahead of most ranges now, in terms of EPA compliance.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

I was told that the EPA mandated that all ranges "have a plan" for lead abatement. They went the further step and treated the soil with a chemical to encapsulate the lead and allow it to be treated as waste that could be disposed of without handling it as hazardous waste. Probably a good decision in case the EPA later reserved itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom