• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    In laymen terms can someone describe what an Assault weapon is according to DC law?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    By DC Code standard it's pretty straightforward:

https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/7-2501.01.html

(3A)(A) “Assault weapon” means:

(i) The following semiautomatic firearms:

(I) All of the following specified rifles:

(aa) All AK series including, but not limited to, the models identified as follows:

(1) Made in China AK, AKM, AKS, AK47, AK47S, 56, 56S, 84S, and 86S;

(2) Norinco (all models);

(3) Poly Technologies (all models);

(4) MAADI AK47 and ARM; and

(5) Mitchell (all models).

(bb) UZI and Galil;

(cc) Beretta AR-70;

(dd) CETME Sporter;

(ee) Colt AR-15 series;

(ff) Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1, Max 2, AR 100, and AR110 C;

(gg) Fabrique Nationale FAL, LAR, FNC, 308 Match, and Sporter;

(hh) MAS 223.

(ii) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, and HK-PSG-1;

(jj) The following MAC types:

(1) RPB Industries Inc. sM10 and sM11; and

(2) SWD Incorporated M11;

(kk) SKS with detachable magazine;

(ll) SIG AMT, PE-57, SG 550, and SG 551;

(mm) Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48;

(nn) Sterling MK-6;

(oo) Steyer AUG, Steyr AUG;

(pp) Valmet M62S, M71S, and M78S;

(qq) Armalite AR-180;

(rr) Bushmaster Assault Rifle;

(ss) Calico —900;

(tt) J&R ENG —68; and

(uu) Weaver Arms Nighthawk.

(II) All of the following specified pistols:

(aa) UZI;

(bb) Encom MP-9 and MP-45;

(cc) The following MAC types:

(1) RPB Industries Inc. sM10 and sM11;

(2) SWD Incorporated -11;

(3) Advance Armament Inc. —11; and

(4) Military Armament Corp. Ingram M-11;

(dd) Intratec TEC-9 and TEC-DC9;

(ee) Sites Spectre;

(ff) Sterling MK-7;

(gg) Calico M-950; and

(hh) Bushmaster Pistol.

(III) All of the following specified shotguns:

(aa) Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12; and

(bb) Striker 12. The Streetsweeper type S/S Inc. SS/12;

(IV) A semiautomatic, rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(aa) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(bb) A thumbhole stock;

(cc) A folding or telescoping stock;

(dd) A grenade launcher or flare launcher;

(ee) A flash suppressor; or

(ff) A forward pistol grip;

(V) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

(aa) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

(bb) A second handgrip;

(cc) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel; or

(dd) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip;

(VI) A semiautomatic shotgun that has one or more of the following:

(aa) A folding or telescoping stock;

(bb) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(cc) A thumbhole stock; or

(dd) A vertical handgrip; and

(VII) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine; and

(VIII) All other models within a series that are variations, with minor differences, of those models listed in subparagraph (A) of this paragraph, regardless of the manufacturer;

(ii) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder; provided, that this sub-subparagraph shall not apply to a weapon with an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition; and

(iii) Any firearm that the Chief may designate as an assault weapon by rule, based on a determination that the firearm would reasonably pose the same or similar danger to the health, safety, and security of the residents of the District as those weapons enumerated in this paragraph.

(B) The term “assault weapon” shall not include:

(i) Any antique firearm; or

(ii) Any of the following pistols, which are designed expressly for use in Olympic target shooting events, sanctioned by the International Olympic Committee and by USA Shooting, the national governing body for international shooting competition in the United States, and used for Olympic target shooting purposes:

MANUFACTURER MODEL CALIBER
    BENELLI MP90 .22LR
    BENELLI MP90 .32 S&W LONG
    BENELLI MP95 .22LR
    BENELLI MP95 .32 S&W LONG
    HAMMERLI 280 .22LR
    HAMMERLI 280 .32 S&W LONG
    HAMMERLI SP20 .22LR
    HAMMERLI SP20 .32 S&W LONG
    PARDINI GPO .22 SHORT
    PARDINI GP-SCHUMANN .22 SHORT
    PARDINI HP .32 S&W LONG
    PARDINI MP .32 S&W LONG
    PARDINI SP .22LR
    PARDINI SPE .22LR
    WALTHER GSP .22LR
    WALTHER GSP .32 S&W LONG
    WALTHER OSP .22 SHORT
    WALTHER OSP-2000 .22 SHORT
    (C) The Chief may exempt, by rule, new models of competitive pistols that would otherwise fall within the definition of “assault weapon” pursuant to this section from being classified as an assault weapon. The exemption of competitive pistols shall be based either on recommendations by USA Shooting consistent with the regulations contained in the USA Shooting Official Rules or on the recommendation or rules of any other organization that the Chief considers relevant.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Well, an "assault weapon" is a rifle capable of full automatic fire. Now, DCs definition probably refers to scary features. I'll defer.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Well, an "assault weapon" is a rifle capable of full automatic fire. Now, DCs definition probably refers to scary features. I'll defer.

Right. Practically speaking don’t plan on any semi-auto long gun with a pistol grip. An M1A or Ares SCR (no pistol grip) or a Mossberg MVP (bolt action) are still good to go for example.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV

Yea thats what I was thinking but I said to myself that cant be true

Right. Practically speaking don’t plan on any semi-auto long gun with a pistol grip. An M1A or Ares SCR (no pistol grip) or a Mossberg MVP (bolt action) are still good to go for example.

Thanks

Innevets

Dec 27, 2018
    DC
    Hopefully these photos won't get downsized too much, but was in MPD's FRS office yesterday and took photos of what they deemed to be eligible for registration.

Keltec RDB-C is curiously marked as an assault rifle despite not having a pistol grip.

But AR platform rifles with Thorsden Customs stocks are deemed as acceptable.

Previously when I spoke to LT Hall, he said that Monsterman grips for ARs were allowed but recently changed his mind and deemed all Ruger AR556s to be assault rifles even if they came with an MM grip.

EDIT: I don't understand how they can misspell rifle so many times.

Attachments

• IMG_20181226_120245.jpg
      IMG_20181226_120245.jpg
      52.2 KB · Views: 788
    • IMG_20181226_120248.jpg
      IMG_20181226_120248.jpg
      55.7 KB · Views: 779
    • IMG_20181226_120250.jpg
      IMG_20181226_120250.jpg
      54.9 KB · Views: 806

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    To me, that's the biggest advantage of the Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30; a semi-auto legal in a place where many others are not. I think Bill Ruger was very crafty they way he marketed the Min-14 with the 5 round mags which (IMHO) kept them off the radar.

Have to have it without a flash under, though.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Hopefully these photos won't get downsized too much, but was in MPD's FRS office yesterday and took photos of what they deemed to be eligible for registration.

Keltec RDB-C is curiously marked as an assault rifle despite not having a pistol grip.

Previously when I spoke to LT Hall, he said that Monsterman grips for ARs were allowed but recently changed his mind and deemed all Ruger AR556s to be assault rifles even if they came with an MM grip.

So the Shockwave is a yea?

Innevets

Dec 27, 2018
    DC
    So the Shockwave is a yea?

Shockwave is inelligible. Maybe because of OAL or non-shotgun status since it's not designed to be fired from the shoulder. Or because the chief felt like it.

Attachments

• IMG_20181226_120248.jpg
      IMG_20181226_120248.jpg
      61.6 KB · Views: 1,268

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    DC pamphlets.

Attachments

• DC firearms_pamphlet.pdf
      145.8 KB · Views: 452
    • firearms_eligible_registration.pdf
      314.9 KB · Views: 284

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC

Great pics. Thanks. Reminds me of how many cool guns out there we can’t own thanks to our commie overlords.

I can’t figure out what infringes on the statute with the Keltec RDB-C either. Probably just didn’t like the look of it. Side note that DS-15 his piqued my interest and may find itself resting next to my Ares SCR soon.

Innevets

Dec 27, 2018
    DC
    Great pics. Thanks. Reminds me of how many cool guns out there we can’t own thanks to our commie overlords.

I can’t figure out what infringes on the statute with the Keltec RDB-C either. Probably just didn’t like the look of it. Side note that DS-15 his piqued my interest and may find itself resting next to my Ares SCR soon.

Windham has one that comes with a Thordsen Customs stock, and available at United: http://store.unitedgunshop.com/rifles/semi-automatic-rifles/windham-weaponry-src-thd-223-remington556-nato-16-barrel-10-round-thordsen-black-ny-legal-semi-automatic-rifle

Been debating between this, the ARES/Fightlite SCR, or a Ruger PC Carbine.

I'll bug LT Hall again and see if these CA compliant AR556s are DC legal.
    http://store.unitedgunshop.com/rifles/semi-automatic-rifles/ruger-ar-556-semi-automatic-223-rem556nato-161-threaded-barrel-with-thread-protector-anodized-finish-monsterman-grip-1-10rd-magazine-adjustable-rear-sight-27
    http://store.unitedgunshop.com/rifles/semi-automatic-rifles/ruger-8510-ar556-autoloading-ca-compliant-semi-automatic-223-remington556-nato-161-101-hera-cqr-featureless-black-stk-black-hard-coat-anodized

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom