• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mendozaco

Dec 5, 2013
    Rockville, MD
    I was hooked on the three nights series and got the wife hooked on the second night. An excellent program, full of educational material and lots of C&Rs we love to have. Patton & MacArthur rocked.

I noticed several ops in the series. First, it shows Hitler shooting a British Enfield from the trenches in WW1. Second, it shows Hitler with a P38 before he commits suicide. I could be wrong, but did the Germans use Endfields in WWI and H man use a P38 for his fairwell?

Don't take me wrong I enjoyed the program and I will be watching it for the years to come. What other things did you notice or enjoy?

http://www.history.com/shows/the-world-wars/interactives/mission-to-honor
    Check out the gallery.

Attachments

• the-world-wars-dvd-768_290.jpg
      the-world-wars-dvd-768_290.jpg
      20.5 KB · Views: 226
    • 609986_9eb396dc28182cc2ebcc2bf4cbb02647.jpg
      609986_9eb396dc28182cc2ebcc2bf4cbb02647.jpg
      32.4 KB · Views: 223

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Gen. MacArthur having 5 stars before WWII among other mistakes.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    I enjoyed it as well but yeah, multiple inaccuracies with the weapons portrayed. Seems like they just used whatever they had available during production and hoped that the general audience isn't as in tune with the C$R details as we are.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    There were a lot of firearms mistakes. Mostly I noticed they gave everyone Lee Enfields no matter what army they were in. Hitler shot himself with a PPK.

dancnr

Jul 27, 2011
    Washington County
    This is what I said about in the thread in the watercooler section,

The last episode was the best in terms of accuracy, but there were still problems. Like Russians fighting during the Battle of the Bulge or Patton taking command of a fleet in Dec. 1944, which was a script error and just dumb. Guns and reenactments are minor things although some of the stuff wasn't that minor, like a missile cruiser, or a cold war T-54, or German B17s. Some of the stuff was archival footage and cost them nothing to get right, but apparently they wanted to use their budget up on rights to splice in scenes from war movies.

All the technical stuff aside, btw I actually sympathize there is a ton of stuff to get wrong that doesn't really take away from the story, the story was very flawed. Patton didn't invent mobile warfare, he wasn't the first person to put an mg on a vehicle, for his famous gunfight in Mexico he used a SAA. He didn't trust a 1911 because he had NDed one. He also learned tank warfare in France on French tanks, but they played to their audience and didn't bring it up. Russia and Germany didn't have a global alliance, Gas wasn't used when they said it was, it showed up two years too early. The Russian revolution was super misleading as well as the exit from the WW1. Japan, didn't go to war because they got snubbed at Versailles, they didn't send troops to the Western Front, which was implied, and more than just Churchill and FDR stood between Hitler and world domination.

The way they worded things in some instances just didn't have to be that way. Which was what bugged me. Alot of what they got wrong is just as dramatic or compelling told the right way and there isn't a good reason to make the mistakes they made. On top of all that their order of events was really off at times. Like I mentioned earlier they didn't say Patton got his command back until after they talked Battle of the Bulge, The Russian Revolution happened and then they cut to events in Italy two years earlier. And people keep saying "Oh it was only 6 hours they didn't have time to fit more in or explain things", but they had time to make us watch Hitler shave his stache and eat some eggs. Its a tough job and I don't envy them, but when so many productions can take the time to get it right its hard to see why they would mess up on things across the board. And its disappointing because this is one of the few chances we actually get things like this anymore in their programming. I think that is why people are upset, because it was billed as this awesome series and everyone was like yay history on the History Channel again and it wasn't that good.

I also take issue with politicians telling History, I can understanding wanting to use well known figures but it leaves alot to be desired.

My personal favorite weapon mistake was a scene where a German was using an MG08 like a bolt action rifle, complete with sound effect dubbed in and assistant gunner to feed the belt.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    This is what I said about in the thread in the watercooler section,

The last episode was the best in terms of accuracy, but there were still problems. Like Russians fighting during the Battle of the Bulge or Patton taking command of a fleet in Dec. 1944, which was a script error and just dumb. Guns and reenactments are minor things although some of the stuff wasn't that minor, like a missile cruiser, or a cold war T-54, or German B17s. Some of the stuff was archival footage and cost them nothing to get right, but apparently they wanted to use their budget up on rights to splice in scenes from war movies.

All the technical stuff aside, btw I actually sympathize there is a ton of stuff to get wrong that doesn't really take away from the story, the story was very flawed. Patton didn't invent mobile warfare, he wasn't the first person to put an mg on a vehicle, for his famous gunfight in Mexico he used a SAA. He didn't trust a 1911 because he had NDed one. He also learned tank warfare in France on French tanks, but they played to their audience and didn't bring it up. Russia and Germany didn't have a global alliance, Gas wasn't used when they said it was, it showed up two years too early. The Russian revolution was super misleading as well as the exit from the WW1. Japan, didn't go to war because they got snubbed at Versailles, they didn't send troops to the Western Front, which was implied, and more than just Churchill and FDR stood between Hitler and world domination.

The way they worded things in some instances just didn't have to be that way. Which was what bugged me. Alot of what they got wrong is just as dramatic or compelling told the right way and there isn't a good reason to make the mistakes they made. On top of all that their order of events was really off at times. Like I mentioned earlier they didn't say Patton got his command back until after they talked Battle of the Bulge, The Russian Revolution happened and then they cut to events in Italy two years earlier. And people keep saying "Oh it was only 6 hours they didn't have time to fit more in or explain things", but they had time to make us watch Hitler shave his stache and eat some eggs. Its a tough job and I don't envy them, but when so many productions can take the time to get it right its hard to see why they would mess up on things across the board. And its disappointing because this is one of the few chances we actually get things like this anymore in their programming. I think that is why people are upset, because it was billed as this awesome series and everyone was like yay history on the History Channel again and it wasn't that good.

I also take issue with politicians telling History, I can understanding wanting to use well known figures but it leaves alot to be desired.

My personal favorite weapon mistake was a scene where a German was using an MG08 like a bolt action rifle, complete with sound effect dubbed in and assistant gunner to feed the belt.

The show (episodes) is so full of inaccuracies, either depicted on film and/or narrations throughout the series. There is so much ******** in it (some examples are described in the above quoted post along with others I didn't quote plus another major fvck up; a C-130 dropping German paratroopers into Poland in 1939, aaawwww, give me a fvckin' break!!!!!!). This show is SOOO off base they just might as well be showin' Larry the Cable Guy's movie Delta Farce and calling it a documentary of the war in Iraq. Needless to say, the World Wars episodes are a waste of time and film footage, especially when there are REALLY GOOD and accurate programs on Military channel.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The scene when Hitler is in training has him using an 03 Springfield.

Also the Lee Enfields being reloaded by slapping in a new mag.

I believe I saw Patton wearing silver oak leaves while calling himself a Lt.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have not watched the entire show yet. I did watch a few minutes and could not help to notice Hitler wearing an SS armband. I have never seen him wear an armband like that in any true documentary. He is always shown wearing a standard political armband. I will look for other stuff as I get the time to view the entire show.

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    When hitler commits suicide with the P38 I thought.... Hey wait that should be a PPK! Yeah there were inaccuracies but there are worse shows out there such as reality tv glamorizing whacky stuff!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Even with all the inaccuracies, its probably still better than what my son learned in school. Actually, what I tell him is better than what he learned in school. My son's 9th grade teacher does not like how its 3 weeks on WWII and sent a proposal to the county that it be 1/2 year on WWII and it was rejected. I'm taking things into my own and teaching him what I know a little at a time so they don't grow up thinking WWII is basically Call of Duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom