Review of the Pro-Tech TR-3 Integrity…Sebenza quality at half the price? I think so!…

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    A Look at the Pro-Tech TR-3 Integrity…Sebenza quality? And at less than half the price?!?!? I think so!… :D

Well, I love titanium frame locks if you haven’t noticed. I like how they are strong, simple, do not tend to fail from harsh conditions, can account for long-term normal wear without blade play, and are easy to detail strip & reassemble for cleaning/lubrication/tuning. As I noted in a recent review, I really like the Chris Reeve Sebenza 25. I also noted how much I like my Kershaw Thermite (which cost about 1/15th of the Sebenza 25). And I must also admit my love for my custom L George Project VECP (it’s a monster), ZT0550, ZT0301, ZT0777, Hinderer XM-18, Spyderco Sage 2 Ti, and about 20 other frame locks, give or take.

Well, I discovered a frame lock that has quickly become my favorite titanium folder, and one that can be had for less than half of the Sebenza 25’s $450 retail: Enter the Pro-Tech TR-3 “Integrity.”

Given I have made a few threads on different frame lock folders, I wanted to examine this one at a different degree of detail and on a very detailed level as I think the excellence in the most minor or details is what sets a good knife apart from a great knife... I hope you like it, even if you just skim to see the pictures! :o

(top image shows the standard model [7701], middle the standard model with black blade [7703], and bottom the Limited Edition anodized model [7725SW])
    TR3-Manual-Integrity-Folder-7701-600_zpsa0641c58.jpg

TR3-Manual-Integrity-Folder-7703-600_zps65cff19f.jpg

2014-02-15204549_zpsd6b7169b.jpg

INTRODUCTION
    I haven’t given much attention to Pro-Tech in my usage and collecting of knives. They have always been the company that makes automatics. Beautiful automatics…incredibly well made automatics…but automatics. Between legality and the tendency of the button/’plunge’ lock to not have the strength/longevity of some manual locking systems, I’ve just never paid much attention. And I looked past their release of their first titanium frame lock. To be completely honest, I did not think a company that had made almost exclusively automatics could make a ti-lock knife capable of competing with the Sebenza on their first go…and I was wrong.

The TR-3 or “Tactical Response 3” has been around for a while. It is an automatic knife using aluminum handles (and sometimes premium models have handles from stainless) and a blade of 154CM (a respectable American stainless steel.) Price wise, it is less than the Microtech counter (the L.U.D.T.), and I would argue a better knife all-around. Pro-Tech’s customer service is also fantastic, which I think is really important when you are talking about $100+ knives that give a decade-plus of service. Given the TR-3 has long been established as a premier performer, it seems almost natural that it was the chosen knife for the base of the Integrity.

(image shows the standard “SWAT” TR-3 automatic in 154CM steel with aluminum handles and black coating)
    tr3-swat-large_zps0551d358.jpg

If you are a member of the Armed Forces, law enforcement, fire, EMS, or first-responders/federal employees, you have likely heard of Pro-Tech and the TR-3. It is one of Pro-Tech’s most popular lines and very popular within the groups of individuals who can legally purchase them (and it is a fantastic value with the discounts these individuals can receive.) For the rest of the world, it isn’t quite as well known. But that is changing with the TR-3 Integrity (and the more recent TR-4 Manual.)

THE DESIGN
    Pro-Tech based the TR-3 Integrity on the TR-3 [automatic] base, hence the name, “TR-3 Integrity”. The “integrity” portion presumably comes from the “integral lock” (AKA Reeve Integral Lock, Frame Lock, Titanium Lock, Sebenza Lock, Ti Lock, etc.) However, the TR-3 Integrity has some notable differences from the TR-3 [automatic]:
    • the handles are made of Grade 5 (6AL4V) titanium (instead of aluminum)
    • the blade is made of CPM-S35VN stainless steel (instead of 154CM)
    • the handle has a different pivoting/locking system with a ball detent system and a titanium frame lock in which the locking bar is cut from the back-side of the handle
    • the standard finish is a sand-blasted handle sporting a matte silver color (numerous limited editions have been made with different finishes)

2014-02-15203559_zpsf6ad72b1.jpg

All of these features are beneficial to give a knife capability and longevity. Titanium is a great material for handles and especially for lock bars given its ability to withstand frequent stressors, have highly predictable wear patterns, sport greater flexibility than most metals, and it ability to resist extreme environmental conditions.

The blade shape is a modified drop point with a top swage (non-sharpened edge). As the amount of the ‘drop’ is relatively minor and the tip ends aligning with the pivot, it has some visual design elements that bear resemblance to a spear point. While generally listed by retailers as being a flat grind, the TR-3 is technically a sabre (or saber) grind. While this is indeed a type of flat grind, it is different from a full flat grind (FFG) in that the grind is flat but it begins about mid-way down the blade (in some ways, the sabre grind is a lower version of the high flat grind, with the bevel starting lower on the blade.) This grind is one made for strength and performance…you have seen it before if you have seen or own a Spyderco Endura or Delica, and their usage of this grind is a major reason why they are such capable knives. With more material behind the edge to help resist lateral force, the edge is generally less prone to chipping, rolling, and other deformation under hard usage. As a sabre grind cuts, the shoulders push away material from the knife (separating it from a full flat grind, which does not do this)…this can reduce or increase friction depending upon what is being cut, and the size of it. This is a good grind for longevity, maximum strength, and ease of upkeep. It is also arguably the best grind for maximizing tip strength on useful blade grinds such as the drop point. The sacrifice is generally slicing ability and sometimes a higher cost of production than easier grinds. And while the sabre favors strength, the TR-3 blade is capable of both heavy work and slicing like a champ.

(the edge has been polished by me on the EdgePro)
    2014-02-14235832_zps21cf841e.jpg

2014-02-15203821_zps3873307b.jpg

The CPM-S35VN blade steel, made by Crucible Steel and Chris Reeve, is a very capable stainless steel with balanced properties across the board. It has fantastic toughness (for a stainless), excellent edge-holding abilities, fantastic corrosion resistance, and very fine carbides with very even distribution (translating to it taking a very fine and aggressive cutting edge plus being easier to sharpen than most other steels of similar performance capability). Like ELMAX, it’s really nice steel for a knife that will see a variety of uses and requires blade steel capable of filling multiple roles. I would go as far to call it one of the best or the best all-around steel for EDC folding knives (but NOT an ideal choice for fixed blades and kitchen knives.) Since 2013, Pro-Tech has been progressively moving to CPM-S35VN (as have many other makers.)

(while I would not advocate doing this, the TR-3 Integrity has a lock capable of withstanding substantial abuse, and a CPM-S35VN blade steel capable of withstanding a substantial amount of stress for a stainless steel. Even though the TR-3 Integrity does not use a notably thick blade, it is plenty strong…[and with the added benefit of much more capable slicing power than an overly thick blade])
    1378599623-tr3_f.JPG

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/933955/

WHAT I LIKED
    The handle on the TR-3 Integrity is great. It’s ergonomic, the finger cutout fits small and large hands alike and it and the finger guard are more flared than the TR-3 automatics, giving it better grip retention in thrusting/pushing cuts that could result in a hand unintentionally slipping into the blade.

2014-02-15203917_zps1ea4afd6.jpg

2014-02-15204134_zpsd3dbebdc.jpg

The thumb serrations are different than most knives. They are on the top of the handle, instead of the blade. With the ergonomics of the finger cutout, this works very well as it places the thumb perfectly centered on the serrations and keeps any part of the hand from crossing over the blade. While I first found this odd, I’ve come to love it, as the traction/control it gives is fantastic.

2014-02-15203921_zps27b64953.jpg

2014-02-15203949_zps4ba523ef.jpg

The pocket clip is well done. It is comfortable to carry, doesn’t move around in the pocket, and is made of titanium (arguably the ideal material for a part as such which sees frequent flexing.) It is not harsh on delicate clothing in the least, which to me is important as I EDC whether I am wearing pajamas or a tux.

2014-02-27000512_zpsdf7784ba.jpg

The blade is very, very nice…and is what won me over initially. The blade grind was done evenly, precisely, and in one of my favorite steels. The edge geometry is fantastic…this knife takes very little physical force to cut. While the grind is a type used to maximize edge strength, it is a fantastic slicer nonetheless, and has the ability to finely prepare food in the fashion of a paring knife (I cut food at my office with my pocket knife.) I also like blades with the top false swage…beyond appearance, it reduces resistance with certain types of cutting by modifying the final apex of the blade thickness. Depending on the work being done, this can help reduce friction/resistance. The tip has considerable robustness, despite its ability to perform fine tasks…which is something I cannot say about the Sebenza and quite a few other knives I own.

Blade heat treatments make a huge deal in how well (or poorly) a blade performs… Pro-Tech is known for doing great heat treatments of 154CM and they have done a great heat treatment of S35VN as well. I like the way this S35VN performs more than most S35VN blades I have. Pro-Tech hit the sweet spot of balanced toughness, edge retention, and ease of sharpening. For the most common tasks a folding knife sees, I think the steel & grind gives a really balanced performance capable of multi-tasking in a fashion many folding knives cannot.

The thumb stud also made me fall in love. The TR-3 Integrity uses a MASSIVE single-stud that is textured. It is comfortable and easy to operate barehanded, as well as with gloves. Yet it is not too big or too textured to the point of opening the blade by catching the pocket, hurting bare skin, or decimating your britches. Also, the thumb stud is easily removable unlike most knives. For sharpening, this is a major plus as it makes life much easier.

Beyond just the thumb stud, the total package is without doubt the easiest-to-operate framelock I have ever owned/handled. The opening is custom-level SMOOTH. The force to open it is consistent, without variation, and without any ‘dead’ spots. I could open/close it all day as it is pleasing to operate. Closing the knife is equally as smooth and the lockbar is easy to operate for hands/fingers of all sizes.

VIDEO---OPERATION: OPENING, CLOSING, METHODS, VERSATILITY
    [YT]EzrDscTu1t0[/YT]

The pivot, washer, ball-detent, and spacer systems are good. While the pivot is not as robust as some other titanium frame locks, it is still of generous size and thickness…and is plenty capable of heavier work. The washers are large-sized and of a material (I am not sure of what) that do well even when the knife is not well lubricated. The blade stop-pin is large and makes good contact with the blade over a wide surface, which is a plus in helping better distribute load/stress of opening/closing with force. Overall, the design appears to be well-planned to account for normal wear from decades of usage.

(detail stripped)
    2014-02-08231416_zpsf9781888.jpg

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE
    The ball-detent system is relatively weak compared to many other knives, presumably because of how the opening is intended to be smooth and consistent in opening force. While the knife doesn’t open accidently, I wish the system were a bit beefier to increase closed retention a bit more and help better resist the elements. On ti frame locks, this is where the worst fouling tends to occur, and when this happens, the detent system can lose its effectiveness. A larger ball that sits deeper in the blade would give greater retention and arguably help offset fouling issues. Given the thumb stud is large and has good traction (meaning it has the potential to catch the pocket on the draw), this arguably creates a need for a stronger detent than with knives not having as easy of opening mechanisms.

I also did not like how Pro-Tech used what appeared to be Red Loctite* on a knife that is designed to be detail-stripped and serviced by the user (I accidently stripped the thumb stud screw because of this), nor am I a fan of how the design uses four different torx sizes (I would prefer one or two for simplicity…and an included tool(s) for takedown.) I would also like to see perforated washers to help better retain grease to keep the pivot lubricated for longer service intervals given the effectiveness of perforated washers is substantial in increasing the time between service intervals.

Also, the TR-3 Integrity is a true right-handed knife…there is zero ambidextrous capability, and no LH model…so for lefties, this is kind of a bummer!

On the grand scale of things, these are all pretty minor issues, though.

(*note that once the initial thread sealant is removed on the first detail strip, the TR-3 Integrity becomes incredibly easy to self-service, and it is the easiest detail strip of any folding knife I own)

CONCLUSIONS & NOTES
    NOTES
    My design most pictured is a semi-limited edition (one pic shows my standard model with black blade.) The LE has a textured and anodized handle…and I really like how the texturing adds to grip. Of all the titanium-handled knives I own, I most like this blend of some texture but not overly aggressive texturing that irritates skin. The blade is finished in a two-tone (stonewashed & satin contrast) and I really like how it looks and how this 2-tone finish is still going to resist marks and scratches unlike most two tones (stonewashed/tumbled blades are excellent at hiding scratches and resisting certain types of wear, and the stonewashed portions on the Integrity are where marks on the blade are most likely to occur.) The anodizing not only looks great, but is consistent in intensity and patterning throughout the entire knife, and has thus far been very durable. This limited edition was not very expensive relative to what you get. Mine was about $285, which is a lot less than most anodized titanium frame locks with this degree of quality and with anodized finishes (not a cheap process by any means.) The fit and finish of the standard model is of equal quality...and I have seen these for as low as $175 new, and for less on knife forums. Given the quality, like a Sig 226 or H&K USP, one should not hesitate to buy used if they find one that has been cared for, as this knife has a very long service life.

(one thing that is neat about anodizing is that the color can vary with amount of light available to reflect…so it can be numerous shades of blue)
    2014-02-15204621_zps65a19c2f.jpg

2014-02-15204607_zps1293ded4.jpg

2014-02-15204558_zps2b7deffa.jpg

2014-02-15204106_zpscd4da1de.jpg

As most of the pictures show, the edge on the knife is no longer a factory finish. I tend to immediately sharpen knives upon getting them. For a factory angle, I was very pleased…but I prefer to set my knives on specific angles and finish with a polished edge. So I took it to my EdgePro to give it a consistent 20 degree angle per-side, finishing with 3,000 grit polishing tape. The video shows the edge after this was done…while I am still learning with this as it is a newer knife to me, between the S35VN, the edge geometry, and the EdgePro, it got pretty darn sharp…

VIDEO---SHOWING OFF THE SHARP!
    [YT]wkwKcdYTk2o[/YT]

2014-02-18231608_zpsbb237e31.jpg

CONCLUSION
    The full package…with the fit and finish is impressive: the knife has zero blade play, the blade is well centered, the lockup is predictable, the action is smooth, and the finish is consistent with only the most minor of irregularities (every production knife is going to have these…and they do not affect performance.) With that said, this finish is about as good as any production knife can be, and is thoroughly impressive…especially at the price as its fit and finish is nicer than many knives that cost significantly more. It impressed me enough that I am now trying to find one of the limited edition Damascus versions…

I sincerely hope that Pro-Tech continues with producing manual-action knives, as they have the ability to produce knives that are second-to-none in quality, but at a price far lower than much of the competition. As the TR-3 is still a big knife at around 3.5 inches, I would LOVE to see a 3-inch model, as there are not many affordable-yet-super-nice 3-inch titanium folders…and there is no doubt in my mind that Pro-Tech could produce a 3 inch titanium frame lock that would take the market by storm (demand is huge, supply is very limited.)

My likes are many, and my complaints are few…in fact, I cannot say enough good things about this knife! The design features are incredibly well suited to an EDC knife that is designed to fill different (and virtually unlimited) roles as a general-purpose precision cutting tool. While not cheap, this is a very affordable knife for a titanium frame lock, and its longevity will pay itself off over time. There really isn’t much more I can say about the TR-3 Integrity. It is a knife that does not get the attention it deserves. It’s a statement of the quality that Pro-Tech is producing, as well as the value of their products.

If you are looking for a high-end EDC folder and like the style that titanium frame locks are, this is a knife you should not overlook like I did…but as a word of warning, if you do happen to handle one, be prepared to buy it...

SPECIFICATIONS
    • Overall Length: 8.00"
    • Blade Length: 3.50"
    • Blade Thickness: 0.125"
    • Blade Steel: CPM-S35VN stainless steel @ 59 HRC
    • Blade Style: Modified Drop Point, Sabre grind w/ top false swage
    • Handle Length: 4.50"
    • Thickness: 0.48"
    • Handle Material: Grade 5 (6AL4V) Titanium
    • Weight: 4.49 oz.
    • Pocket Clip: Right Hand, Tip-Up -only
    • Opener: Single-sided Thumb Stud, RH-only
    • Country of Origin: USA (Artesia, CA)
    • Blade Steel Origin: Crucible Steel, USA
    • Notes: Comes with Nylon Pro-Tech sheath with Velcro flap and belt loop

Pro-Tech's webpage:
    http://www.ProTechknives.com/knives/switchblades/tr-3-manual-integrity-folder.asp

MORE PICTURES

2014-02-15204407_zpsbbbbc6c5.jpg

2014-03-08201233_zpsa3f19498.jpg

2014-02-17204505_zpse900182a.jpg

2014-02-15204735_zpse83e3377.jpg

(lockup is perfect)
    2014-02-15204036_zpse14e527b.jpg

2014-02-15204230_zps89af86af.jpg

(TR-3 (auto) product literature)
    tr3-cover_zps79a984e6.jpg

Verbotene

Lurker Supreme
    Feb 27, 2012
    I'm not particularly interested in knives...

And I still read every word of your reviews. Excellent work!

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Not that I support buying from China, but for $9, you can get this HK knock-off that performs just as well, 8Cr13MoV 57RHC blade and who cares if it gets beat up or lost.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/250311361.html

I have that very knife...it's a really neat knife!, especially for the money. To date, it is one of the best repro interpretations of the Chris Reeve Small Sebenza 21 ever made. The quality of the finish itself is just stunning and better than many knives costing a lot more.

But I wouldn't personally rate it as performing equally-well tho. It's like a Taurus to a Sig 226 or Freedom Reman ammo to factory new Speer Lawman. Both will work and while a lot of personal preference is going to be present, functional performance isn't quite the same. How much the differences between the two actually mean really depend on the user IMO.

Attachments

• 2014-04-01 20.45.11.jpg
      2014-04-01 20.45.11.jpg
      118.4 KB · Views: 2,734

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads