• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    What does a smith Corona bring these days?

Values are usually somewhat more than an equivalent Remington which were made in greater numbers...and I think the Smith-Coronas are finished better...equal for the purpose but done better. A Smith-Corona with the uncommon 6-groove barrel adds value...most of my S-C rifles are 6-groove.

Depending on condition and correctness a Smith-Corona brings $900-$1200 reasonable market value...but higher at gun shows like everything else. There's always spikes in value should exceptional examples be found.

larr

Apr 1, 2011
    Easternshore
    Generally a Mk 1 will have specific parts for the trigger with pawl, the spindle that secures the cut off that has milling for attaching the device (see picture) and a bolt sleeve with a W and upside down 7 that is supposed to be an "L" and maybe a numerical code, ( 2, 5, 9 etc. ) Usually stamped on the top or bottom of the bolt lug. Could be located on the third bolt jug forward on the barrel sleeve
    Stock will be relieved very slightly under the reciever left side wall where the oval ejection port is located. (poor picture) Stock may also exhibit a script firing proof on the bottom of the wrist and have an inspectors mark located just below the cut off switch. (W.E.S. memory here!) Finish should be a oiled black or maybe even parkerized. Barrel date (SA) from late 18 to early 1920

View attachment 297896

View attachment 297898

View attachment 297899

Thanks for the info. Looks like mine has been retrofitted back except the stock, it still has the cut out for the ejection port. My barrel is marked 12-19

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    I dunno...the 03A3 just doesn’t feel
    “right”....kinda betwixt and between an
    03 and a Garand, but not up to the level of
    either. I own several examples of all, but
    I just can’t quite fully warm up to that 03A3 configuration. The 03 was a race car, and
    the Garand, well, just the greatest battle
    implement ever (up through its lifetime in
    our inventory) to paraphrase Patton.

When I grow up, I hope to one day
    own an honest all original in-the-blue
    pre-1918 Springfield 03. Santa, are you
    paying attention??!!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    When it comes to aesthetics...the '03 has it all over the '03A3. When it comes to fit and finish as originally manufactured...the '03 has it all over the '03A3. When it comes to utility...an '03A3 is better for the sights alone. Most '03 rifles available today have been rebuilt at least once and are not as finely finished as they originally were.

On any '03 or '03A3 installed the full pistol-grip C-stock transforms its performance...recoil is more easily controlled and improves its handling.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My 1903a3 outperforms my Special Grade select M1 with the Criterion barrel.
    As a target gun, the a3 rear peep really works out well.
    That being said, I would also like to be on Santa's pre 1918 Springfield 1903 xmas list.
    I do have a M1917 and that thing is a BEAST of a club. Nice shooter, not as good bore or shooter as my 1903a3 though.
    Being lighter than the M1 or 1917, I think an older 1903 would be a nice classic offhand shooter.

I'm thinking it would be difficult to find one with a good bore and original barrel though.

Why Classic picked those up with those laminated stocks I will never understand.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    One time I saw Lou45 buy an ‘03 for $100 and sell it for $600 five minutes later. It was a parts gun but the stock was unusually rare.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Just think of all the low number rifles that got scooped up by the collectors, in or near original configuration because they were passed up for not safe to shoot, by well oh of course the shooters.

If one had a few samples of both m17-o3 issue rifles that were in decent/similar shape to try out, I bet the 17's would be the preferred rifle for accurate shooting in most cases.
    At least for bench shooting/random comparison in issued rifles with common ammunition.

With one exception, maybe, I have one Garand that will shoot better than any of the obsolete rifles I tinker with and only then at 100yds. And its probably luck.
    I think both the 1903 and the Garand have more than characteristic in bedding alone that makes it harder to do on the whole.

I'm sure a better shooter could more than likely do better with one versus the other though.
    Doesn't matter to me, I like them all for one reason or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom