• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Friend had a dozen or so chickens, Mr. Fox took three for a snack, left 4th badly injured.

He asked me to assist him getting Mr Fox, therefore the question: is it legal to shoot Mr Fox without a license for the destruction of his chickens?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Foxes are out of season so I think the landowner needs a Damage permit. https://dnr.maryland.gov/Wildlife/Pages/plants_wildlife/wildlifeproblems.aspx

Homeowners are strictly prohibited from trapping and shooting wildlife outside regulated seasons, unless the animal has been actively causing property damage or is an obvious threat to public health and safety. If this course of action is taken, homeowners must obtain a free landowner trapping permit by calling 1-877-463-6497. Permittees must comply with permit requirements and local firearms restrictions.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Friend had a dozen or so chickens, Mr. Fox took three for a snack, left 4th badly injured.

He asked me to assist him getting Mr Fox, therefore the question: is it legal to shoot Mr Fox without a license for the destruction of his chickens?

It is at my place...

Attachments

• 20190428_201517.jpg
      20190428_201517.jpg
      183.5 KB · Views: 704

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

recommended.

Technically you need a permit.

However you do NOT need a permit if an animal is an imminent danger to life, safety or property. IE if you catch the fox in the act, take care of it.

A permit would be for culling. Generally it needs to be a nuisance animal to get one. But it would be like shooting a fox on your property because you’ve lost some chickens vs shooting the fox trying to get in to the coop.

One requires a permit because it is out of season and all state and local restrictions apply. The later does not require a permit or state restrictions (it may local). IE if you’ve lived on an acre and all your neighbors are on an acre so you don’t have safety zones you can’t shoot a fox on a damage permit. You CAN if it’s an imminent danger (but again, SOME cities and counties might not allow that. Many do. Some only have safety zone exceptions for life, not protection of property, which animals are considered).

Since you aren’t the land owner though, definitely permit. And your friend is going to need to call and get it.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Yea, what lazarus said, Your buddy can shoot the fox as it is his land and his chickens and I still wouldn't advertise it. The law considers him protecting his livestock, or property. You are hunting or poaching depending on the season without the permit. We have a farmer lady down the street from me and the Coyotes have worked on her caves and foxes on lambs and goat kids. She wants us to hunt them out of season and the DNR said she can shoot them out of season but we cannot.

The foxes have kits right now and they are hunting twice as hard. if you/he free range in the spring you better keep a gun handy.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    We got a little family living just outside of my property on county land. The mother is standing on the crest of the hill on my property but the Kitt is sunning himself on a rock just over the line on county property. I live in a rather suburban community so we do not have any chickens so I guess they’ll just be left alone to do their business. The good news is they seem to have chased the groundhogs away that have been a persistent problem behind my house also on county property.
    e8dcb7dfef65b5af3c7320c9b4679b56.jpg

389ac9c51923135a84e7e87d460849cc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    One of the boys killed one this morning when he was in the woods. Called him right in with a turkey call.

Why? It’s out of season to do so. Foxes are needed in the wilderness. If you have foxes, then there’s a good possibility you don’t have any/many coyotes in that area.
    Foxes are way less of a risk to the wildlife than coyotes are. Foxes won’t eat baby deer, and it’s not nearly as big of a threat to the turkeys compared to coyotes.
    I’m a trapper, and hate to see the foxes taken for no reason. Now when they are after your livestock, that’s a different story, do what you got to do.

Coyotes, kill them all, I don’t see any good reason to keep them around.

By the way, I get so many people telling me that foxes are getting their chickens, or eggs. They want me to trap them for them. Most of the time eggs are taken by raccoons, and from my experience hawks are killing more chickens than foxes.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Why? It’s out of season to do so. Foxes are needed in the wilderness. If you have foxes, then there’s a good possibility you don’t have any/many coyotes in that area.
    Foxes are way less of a risk to the wildlife than coyotes are. Foxes won’t eat baby deer, and it’s not nearly as big of a threat to the turkeys compared to coyotes.
    I’m a trapper, and hate to see the foxes taken for no reason. Now when they are after your livestock, that’s a different story, do what you got to do.

Coyotes, kill them all, I don’t see any good reason to keep them around.

By the way, I get so many people telling me that foxes are getting their chickens, or eggs. They want me to trap them for them. Most of the time eggs are taken by raccoons, and from my experience hawks are killing more chickens than foxes.

No, they are not always out of season.

Moyaone

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2017
    Fox (Red and Gray)

TRAPPING, FIREARMS, ARCHERY
    and AIRGUN HUNTING

Aug. 1–July 31

Charles and Dorchester counties

No limit

No limit

Nov. 15–Feb. 15

Caroline, Cecil, Kent, Queen Anne’s, Somerset, Talbot, Wicomico and Worcester counties

No limit

No limit

Nov. 1–Feb. 1

Allegany, Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett, Harford, Howard, Montgomery, Prince George’s, St. Mary’s and Washington counties

No limit

No limit

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Fox (Red and Gray)

TRAPPING, FIREARMS, ARCHERY
    and AIRGUN HUNTING

Aug. 1–July 31

Charles and Dorchester counties

No limit

No limit

Nov. 15–Feb. 15

Caroline, Cecil, Kent, Queen Anne’s, Somerset, Talbot, Wicomico and Worcester counties

No limit

No limit

Nov. 1–Feb. 1

Allegany, Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Carroll, Frederick, Garrett, Harford, Howard, Montgomery, Prince George’s, St. Mary’s and Washington counties

No limit

No limit

Somebody must have read the regulations before deciding to give a lesson. :)
    Capture.PNG

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Always in season if you get the free permit from DNR.

Shooting dogs chasing livestock was made illegal in MD Oct. 1, 2013. Only a LEO can do it while in the act. Try telling that to a horse owner as a ____ is eating his foal. Or my kids, as some asshats labradoodle is killing his ducks. I'll SSS an you MYOB!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom