• ...and so much more!
  • gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    We bought this for camping from REI:
    https://www.rei.com/product/884331/gsi-outdoors-java-press-30-fl-oz

7c174302-fbf3-4177-ad3a-89ddc95cacc2

It's not as efficient as a drip coffee maker, meaning it uses more coffee grounds. We use the regular ground coffee. It makes a great cup of coffee and only requires hot water, no electricity.

Today I discovered a problem with my emergency coffee plan as the power went out this morning about 6AM.

I only had whole bean coffee and no off-grid means of grinding. So I had to fire up the generator just to use the coffee grinder. At least we are on utility gas and water.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I have been coveting my sodas but I probably should put back a can of coffee or some of those awesome caffeine drink packets if they have them next time I venture out to the fully stocked grocery store (seriously everything but TP).
    Try Stok. Available on Amazon. Looks like a creamer pack from a restaurant. 2 shots of caffeine. Stores well.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    Have one of these stored in my bean bucket. A Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill

Attachments

• 71VGwHkxdXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
      71VGwHkxdXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
      8.3 KB · Views: 181

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Today I discovered a problem with my emergency coffee plan as the power went out this morning about 6AM.

I only had whole bean coffee and no off-grid means of grinding. So I had to fire up the generator just to use the coffee grinder. At least we are on utility gas and water.

Priorities, priorities. Nothing wrong with overkill. :)

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008

Get a nice hand grinder. The sky is the limit but my $30 or less Amazon top reviewed one is nicer than the previous lower model Habiro I had.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I bought an antique German coffee grinder that is built like a tank. I also have a grain mill I can use. Beyond that, I have a lovely mortar and pestle.

For preps though, I think state of the art is cans of green (coffee) beans and roast your own. Green beans Store better.

Personally, I’ve gone to the dark side. “Instant coffee” has come of age. There are many great “just add water” brews that are relatively inexpensive and store forever. Think Starbucks VIA but cheaper. The tubes are choice one but the standard jars make a good case storage wise as well. I like Tastle and Douwe Egbert. Some tubes are Asian manufactured and you can get them blonde or sweet and blonde...in the tube. If you’ve never had Vietnamese coffee, you’re in for a treat.

Sure, you can be a purist and do the work to grind and brew. The whole notion of prepping for me is less cost and less work, more better. There isn’t a big enough delta in taste for me to go to extraordinary expense or effort if SHTF or the power is simply out for a while. Short term, I will use the propane stove in the kitchen (Wolf) and French Press my BRC or Gevalia. Longer term, ...well, see above.

I’d suggest you consider getting some instant hot chocolate as well. No telling when a nice mocha might be just the thing to put a smile on your ugly mug.

I am shooting for 5K servings of coffee on hand. I’m halfway there.

Extra for experts: I’m also adding tea to my stores. You might not know but you can buy bricks of tea. Lehmans.com

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    ~snip~

Personally, I’ve gone to the dark side. “Instant coffee” has come of age. There are many great “just add water” brews that are relatively inexpensive and store forever. Think Starbucks VIA but cheaper. The tubes are choice one but the standard jars make a good case storage wise as well. I like Tastle and Douwe Egbert. Some tubes are Asian manufactured and you can get them blonde or sweet and blonde...in the tube. If you’ve never had Vietnamese coffee, you’re in for a treat.

~Snip~

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I didn't look through the thread to see if it's been mentioned, but check out Black Rifle Coffee Company. https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/

One of my favorite companies and pro 'Merica and 2A, plus run entirely by Veterans. They have a coffee club which brings down cost a little. Even my coffee snob friends agree that they make excellent Joe. I stick with whole bean and use a 1920's era Arcade coffee grinder that my dad restored for me. Pic below.

Attachments

• IMG_5379.jpg
      IMG_5379.jpg
      64.5 KB · Views: 174

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads