• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    It’s my home defense / SHTF setup. I will only shoot it suppressed (Won’t be wearing hearing protection when things go bumb in the night). Run a snake through it for cleaning and she’s good to go. The barrel I chose is Triarc’s Track 2.0 10.5” suppressed only barrel.

Interesting move - sounds like a nicely refined build.

My HD/SHTF rifle is a DDM4V7p in 5.56 that is currently waiting on a Form 1 to throw a stock on it. I run it dedicated suppressed, but it will be a 2 stamper. The ATF only had 300blk as the caliber option for this model, so i'm waiting on a "pending research" status before I can submit prints/CLEO.

I run a Spikes T3 buffer (5.4oz) and sprinco blue and it's still got about 2pm ejection with full power ammo. This is with the updated DD gas port also.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    For those of us who don't see videos on here what are the didnt go well parts.

Headspace and throat are correct for 5.56; throat and muzzle erosion are good; muzzle threads are concentric. Front sight base properly aligned. Barrel extension is timed properly.

Downside: There's some corrosion in the barrel that goes through the chrome, so it's not likely to be very accurate. Chad says it'll probably meet the milspec 4 MOA standard.

This is going into a "spare parts, truck gun" build, so I'm not too worried about it.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Headspace and throat are correct for 5.56; throat and muzzle erosion are good; muzzle threads are concentric. Front sight base properly aligned. Barrel extension is timed properly.

Downside: There's some corrosion in the barrel that goes through the chrome, so it's not likely to be very accurate. Chad says it'll probably meet the milspec 4 MOA standard.

This is going into a "spare parts, truck gun" build, so I'm not too worried about it.

Thank you.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

Was this a new barrel?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Was this a new barrel?

It was as new (surplus) as any of them are.

I opened the outer & inner boxes to make sure there was a barrel inside, and shipped it off to Chad, since he had expressed interest in doing a physical. The factory box looked fine, and so did the bag. So I've got no idea when it became corroded. It even had a wick in the barrel. I will note that I got a fresh surplus M7 bayonet once that was similar. Packaging looked fine but the steel was rusty.

Not much to be done now except shoot it and see how it performs.

chino101

Jan 12, 2011
    Upon seeing Chad's video I took a look at the example that I had and found that it didn't have the same defects.

mjDHZVD.jpg

tY4ZqqL.jpg

kscX6ZF.jpg

JIaDojh.jpg

Randy Wood

Jan 30, 2010
    chino101, thanks for the pics. Let's hope that DutchV's experience was an isolated incident. The rest of Chad's physical inspection was very positive.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    chino101, thanks for the pics. Let's hope that DutchV's experience was an isolated incident. The rest of Chad's physical inspection was very positive.

I bought a second barrel and checked it myself. No corrosion, and the rest of the specs were good as well.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I do not see where it says HBAR and that profile is not what you typically see on an HBAR and definitely not from what I've seen in a Colt HBAR which gives the exception to the AR ban.

From the website:

"This barrel machined from CroMoV Steel, features heavy barrel contour, has a Black Phosphate Finish and includes a Chromium Plated Chamber and Bore (Chrome Lined). "

Note: "features heavy barrel contour" etc.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    From the website:

"This barrel machined from CroMoV Steel, features heavy barrel contour, has a Black Phosphate Finish and includes a Chromium Plated Chamber and Bore (Chrome Lined). "

Note: "features heavy barrel contour" etc.

Sorry, focused on the specifications and the photos only.
    I'm skeptical on this though. The back half is HBAR compared to the colt barrel but not the front half in front of the gas block.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Sorry, focused on the specifications and the photos only.
    I'm skeptical on this though. The back half is HBAR compared to the colt barrel but not the front half in front of the gas block.

To my knowledge, MD code says the barrel has to be advertised as heavy, but makes no mention of dimensions that qualify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom