• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    My combat shotgun( Benelli m4)
    Has 7 in the mag, 1 in the chamber, 1 ghostloaded on the lifter.

14 shells carried on a side saddle , 12 slugs on the sling. Plus 18 more buckshots on a plate carrier.

You done it.....

Attachments

• son-youdonewentfull-mall-ninja-never-go-full-mall-ninjal-memes-com-14017293.png
      son-youdonewentfull-mall-ninja-never-go-full-mall-ninjal-memes-com-14017293.png
      72.5 KB · Views: 221

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Great idea. Except I decided a while ago that gravity was no longer my friend. I’m only carrying the minimum.

The pack animal crack was for those folks who aren’t on the wrong side of sixty and or gravity. Nowadays, I’d rather carry water and electrolytes with any capacity I have that’s “extra”...

Damn me for trying to be funny. You figured out how to make it funnier still. Trunk (Gun) monkey FTW.

Tks

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    My Mossberg Mariner with the butt stock ammo holder and a couple of full bandoliers is part of my repertoire. However, if things really went to hell I'm carrying an AR and 12 30 round PMAGs as far as I can.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Has anyone here ever used a shotgun to hunt upland birds, like quail, pheasant and/or grouse, or to hunt rabbits, without dogs?

"Without dogs", meaning without any forewarning of having to shoot well RFN?

I have, a LOT, and not the stupid, slow pen-raised birds one encounters on the managed shooting preserves, but wild birds that hide, run and fly for their very lives on a routine basis. Speed and mobility are what one needs to get on target when surprised by the flush. It is a split-second reaction time that sets one up for making a decent shot, and even when one is trying to stay ready, with an appropriately light gun, it can be hard to impossible to get on target before the target moves out of sight or out of range.

The shotgun of choice for this sort of reactionary hunting is a lighter-weight shotgun, often in 20 or 28 gauge to provide further speed and mobility. Even humping just a 6# gun, many birds are flushed without opportunity for a shot. If the bird had his own gun, he could have killed YOU.

Even for relatively stupid birds and bunnies, a light, fast gun and certain level of situational awareness are necessary for success.

Somehow though, a human threat is expected to set themselves up so we can wheel the gun around for a clear shot, PLUS, this threat is expected to be slow enough to let you go on and shoot at them with what has effectively become an ammo dump.

Many people seem to not recognize that, as an armed citizen, we will ALWAYS be on the reactionary side of the equation, meaning the adversary will have already taken the initiative. Most self-defense shootings are purely reactionary and my idea of being able to react effectively is having something light and fast enough to get on target IN TIME. I would personally prefer to have a few shots (if 8 IS "few") that can be used effectively vs 4 pounds of shotgun shells stuck all over the gun...shells that I will probably never live to fire.

I'm all about having extra ammo in general, and I have scads of shotgun shells, just not hanging all over the damn gun.

One 12 gauge 2-3/4" shotgun shell weighs about 2 ounces. This means that every 8 shells adds around a pound to the gun. An 870 starts at 7# and some variants go 8. We load an extended tube and now the gun is at least 8#, we add a side-saddle <spit> and now the gun is 9 pounds. A 25 shell bandolier will weigh over 3 pounds, but go ahead, and add that too, maybe a second side-saddle and we can have a 13# shotgun that is perfect for photo-ops, but nothing else.

Oddly enough, if someone suggested a buying 13# gun for home defense, they would be laughed at.

PLEASE, take your uber rig to a sporting clays range, skeet range (shoot 'international style') or to a three-gun match and show yourself the limitations and folly of these massive but decorative arrangements before you actually need it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Has anyone here ever used a shotgun to hunt upland birds, like quail, pheasant and/or grouse, or to hunt rabbits, without dogs?

"Without dogs", meaning without any forewarning of having to shoot well RFN?

I have, a LOT, and not the stupid, slow pen-raised birds one encounters on the managed shooting preserves, but wild birds that hide, run and fly for their very lives on a routine basis. Speed and mobility are what one needs to get on target when surprised by the flush. It is a split-second reaction time that sets one up for making a decent shot, and even when one is trying to stay ready, with an appropriately light gun, it can be hard to impossible to get on target before the target moves out of sight or out of range.

The shotgun of choice for this sort of reactionary hunting is a lighter-weight shotgun, often in 20 or 28 gauge to provide further speed and mobility. Even humping just a 6# gun, many birds are flushed without opportunity for a shot. If the bird had his own gun, he could have killed YOU.

Even for relatively stupid birds and bunnies, a light, fast gun and certain level of situational awareness are necessary for success.

Somehow though, a human threat is expected to set themselves up so we can wheel the gun around for a clear shot, PLUS, this threat is expected to be slow enough to let you go on and shoot at them with what has effectively become an ammo dump.

Many people seem to not recognize that, as an armed citizen, we will ALWAYS be on the reactionary side of the equation, meaning the adversary will have already taken the initiative. Most self-defense shootings are purely reactionary and my idea of being able to react effectively is having something light and fast enough to get on target IN TIME. I would personally prefer to have a few shots (if 8 IS "few") that can be used effectively vs 4 pounds of shotgun shells stuck all over the gun...shells that I will probably never live to fire.

I'm all about having extra ammo in general, and I have scads of shotgun shells, just not hanging all over the damn gun.

One 12 gauge 2-3/4" shotgun shell weighs about 2 ounces. This means that every 8 shells adds around a pound to the gun. An 870 starts at 7# and some variants go 8. We load an extended tube and now the gun is at least 8#, we add a side-saddle <spit> and now the gun is 9 pounds. A 25 shell bandolier will weigh over 3 pounds, but go ahead, and add that too, maybe a second side-saddle and we can have a 13# shotgun that is perfect for photo-ops, but nothing else.

Oddly enough, if someone suggested a buying 13# gun for home defense, they would be laughed at.

PLEASE, take your uber rig to a sporting clays range, skeet range (shoot 'international style') or to a three-gun match and show yourself the limitations and folly of these massive but decorative arrangements before you actually need it.
    Jeez. I think I'll start hunting with my Glock...:P

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom