• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharstin

Cruffler
    Feb 15, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I work for a gun store in Maryland (Baltimore County) and the owner allows employees to carry a firearm in the store to help discourage "problems". My question is this, are employees legally allowed to wear firearm while outside the store but still on the store property. (Example: While taking outthe trash or carrying something to a customers car). If this accepible, could someone point me to the law or legal code that specifies this? Thank you in advance for your help.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If the business owns all the property, yes; otherwise "common grounds" of the landlord are not part of your employer's business for carrying.

If there is some kind of fence, then the area inside the fence isn't "common grounds" and is part of the business. Otherwise, your employer's business ends at the door.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    Do yourself a favor and stop worrying so much. There isn't a federal agent sitting in a tree stand with binoculars waiting for a gun store employee to take out the trash.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Mark75h is on point.

Here is my advice. Conceal the weapon when you go outside (ON BUSINESS PROPERTY) and there will NEVER be a problem with drawing attention.

There is no restriction on the manner of carry Open/Concealed) when carrying on private property.

I will also advise you to get WRITTEN permission to carry while on business property. I'm NOT saying that your boss would lie, but unless its written down, the owner could say they never authorized carry if you ever had to use force to try and deflect litigation.

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    I might be more worried about you popping some mope gunman and then being sued by his family for everything you've ever worked for. Will your employer pay all the legal bills? Could run into hundreds of thousands.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I might be more worried about you popping some mope gunman and then being sued by his family for everything you've ever worked for. Will your employer pay all the legal bills? Could run into hundreds of thousands.

If that is on on a gun carriers mind then they should just avoid carrying. It will cause a carrier to hesitate.

The gun is to prevent harm and death to the carrier, not worry about lawsuits.

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Mark75h is on point.

Here is my advice. Conceal the weapon when you go outside (ON BUSINESS PROPERTY) and there will NEVER be a problem with drawing attention.

There is no restriction on the manner of carry Open/Concealed) when carrying on private property.

I will also advise you to get WRITTEN permission to carry while on business property. I'm NOT saying that your boss would lie, but unless its written down, the owner could say they never authorized carry if you ever had to use force to try and deflect litigation.

If that on on a gun carriers mind then they should just avoid carrying. It will cause a carrier to hesitate.

The gun is to prevent harm and death to the carrier, not worry about lawsuits.

100% this. All of it. You've never been more right.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I would be very careful. There was a case recently (legal eagles here can name it I'm sure) where an armed employee was told to investigate activity in the facility's parking lot. He encountered a cop there for an unrelated reason who saw he was armed and arrested him. After numerous appeals, the final word was that this club's business was not being conducted in the parking lot and he suffered the consequences. IIRC this was in PG county. Never trust Maryland.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I would be very careful. There was a case recently (legal eagles here can name it I'm sure) where an armed employee was told to investigate activity in the facility's parking lot. He encountered a cop there for an unrelated reason who saw he was armed and arrested him. After numerous appeals, the final word was that this club's business was not being conducted in the parking lot and he suffered the consequences. IIRC this was in PG county. Never trust Maryland.

The above is indeed correct and the issue was covered and advise offered on it in the 2nd post above by Mark75H

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    If the business owns all the property, yes; otherwise "common grounds" of the landlord are not part of your employer's business for carrying.

If there is some kind of fence, then the area inside the fence isn't "common grounds" and is part of the business. Otherwise, your employer's business ends at the door.
    This

Do yourself a favor and stop worrying so much. There isn't a federal agent sitting in a tree stand with binoculars waiting for a gun store employee to take out the trash.

Nah. some are in plain clothes inside the store pretending to be a customer. Lol

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011

What if you stopped a threat with your bare hands? Chainsaw? Baseball bat?

What is being advocated here, that I should get killed?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I don't give legal advice on the fora so don't rely on this. The controlling statute is MD Code Criminal Section 4-203. It provides in pertinent part that the general ban on "wear, carry, or transport" of a handgun imposed by Section 4-203 does not apply to

(7) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a supervisory employee:
    (i) in the course of employment;
    (ii) within the confines of the business establishment in which the supervisory employee is employed; and
    (iii) when so authorized by the owner or manager of the business establishment;

So, questions to ask: Are you a "supervisory employee" in the eyes of your employer? Will the employer testify to that? What are the "confines" of the business establishment? Confines means: "The supervisory employee exception to the handgun law allows such an employee to carry a handgun, with the employer's permission, within the enclosed premises of the business in which the employee works." Blue v. PG County, 434 Md. 681, 698 (2013). NOT in the parking lot. A copy of 4-203 is attached.

Or the better solution is for you can get a wear and carry permit, if you can.

Attachments

• MD_CRIM_LAW_S_4-203_1-13-15_1502.pdf
      29 KB · Views: 278
    Last edited:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Blue v. PG County. Attached.

Attachments

• Blue v Prince Georges County.pdf
      138 KB · Views: 278

doublins

Dec 16, 2015
    AA County
    I came here to post this. Owner can be anywhere on the property. Employees (supervisory) can only carry within the confines, implying indoors.

This is surprising- I knew that the owner could carry on the bounds of the property that he owns or leases, but my *common sense* assumed that for that reason he could permit employees to carry anywhere on the property as well, not just indoors.

doublins

Dec 16, 2015
    AA County
    Following that, actually... just checking here- as a private property owner, guests can carry anywhere within the bounds of my private property, correct, not just indoors? Why are the rules different for leased property on which a business is operated?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Following that, actually... just checking here- as a private property owner, guests can carry anywhere within the bounds of my private property, correct, not just indoors? Why are the rules different for leased property on which a business is operated?

Not correct. Unless your property is a place covered by 4-203 (eg., a range), they cannot transport a handgun to or possess a handgun on your property.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom