• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I'm thinking of getting a 17 Remington Fireball. Does anyone have experience with it? How accurate is it at 100 yds? Does it foul and erode the barrel bad?

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    The 17 Fireball is built and tested. Pretty impressed with it so far. Finished load testing today. Using Nosler 20 gr Varmageddon bullets, it shot .066" @ 100 yds using H-322 powder. It also shot .12" with A-2015 powder and a similar group with Reloder 7. The rifle is set up with a Shilen match SS barrel and a Timney trigger in a Savage 10MP action, topped with a Viper PST 6-24 scope. I was concerned going in that the barrel would foul badly but so far it hasn't been an issue. Cant wait to turn it loose on Groundhogs this spring.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    0.066" good golly! Is your decimal point in the right place? 0.066" is in single hole category. At 100 yds, that is incredible!

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    It is a single hole but egg shaped a bit. Some overlap. Measured center to center (best I could). I thought A-2015 shot good but H-322 blew it away. I also used Long's OBT method to find the load and it was spot on.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    It is a single hole but egg shaped a bit. Some overlap. Measured center to center (best I could). I thought A-2015 shot good but H-322 blew it away. I also used Long's OBT method to find the load and it was spot on.

Perhaps you've detected a bit of ribbing earlier in this thread from some on the forum. Many have never (or rarely) fired a cloverleaf from the bench, much less an egg. From me, just a clarification statement summarizing several comments above ... or maybe it's a question:

To measure group size "manually" using the center-to-center method, you use a caliper or other device to measure the distance from the outside edges of the two holes farthest apart in your group, then subtract one boolit diameter. You can get by with a precision ruler, but if you're shooting 0.066" groups, I'd suggest a more precise tool. Unquestionably center-to-center group size can be smaller than the diameter of the boolit you are firing, but the statement "measured center to center" caused some confusion earlier in the thread and is probably not exactly what you measured?

Eyeballing "center-to-center", with derived results coming in at under a tenth of an inch ... the two levels of precision just don't correlate well. The measurement is (or should have been) "outside-to-outside". The resultant center-to-center group size would have been derived from that by subtracting one boolit diameter. Bigfoot's math is perfect and applicable to your OP:
    0.177" + 0.066" = 0.243"

Or expressed in the order you would have measured/calculated at the range:
    0.243" (measured) - 0.177" (diameter) = 0.066" (group size)

Your tiny egg-shaped patterns are indeed great groups and I congratulate you!

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    My comments were that of astonishment. I didn't know that cartridge could single hole at 100 yards. No ribbing was intended, and if the OP took it that way, I apologize. Oh, and my marksmanship is not capable of anything close to that. I'm a ham-n-egg'er.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Regarding the 0.066" group vs bullet diameter, you can actually get groups much smaller than bullet diameter because we are measuring center to center. The current record is 0.022" at 100 yards.

measure to the outer edges of the largest dimension the subtract one bullet diameter.
    This gets you close, but makes your groups undersize because with most bullets, the paper stretches and the bullet hole is smaller than bullet diameter.

A more precise method is to measure the diameter of a single hole in that particular target paper by measuring the "grease ring" and subtracting that diameter from the overall group size

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    SeaBee - You're not getting out of this thread without a picture of the group!

Sounds like a really nice build....

I trashed the target along with a bunch of others. I measured my groups for my notes and tossed them. Sorry. I dont lie, no point in it. The rifle was a Savage 10 MP i believe the number is. Started life as a 223 sniper rifle but the barrel was so rough it collected copper pretty easy. So I ordered a 17 FB barrel from Shilen and I have fell in love with this thing. I was getting .1" groups with A-2015 and was happy until I realized I had forgotten to try H-322 so I loaded some based on Mr Long's OBT chart and hit it with .066" at over 4200 fps. I've used this chart on a couple other rifles and it has worked great with groups of 1/2" or less with my hunting rifles. I shot these groups from a lead sled as my shooting ability has sagged along with a few other things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom