• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    MSP said that the Ar-15 had a "government profile barrel" looking thru the custom hand guard and took it.

Story does sound fishy, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned that it is perfectly legal to posses and shoot a rifle with a "government profile barrel" as long as it is was built pre-ban.
    Again, a burden of proof issue on the side of the state.

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    I got my 16” Criterion HBAR from Optics planet. I don’t think Brownells sells the 16”hbar, only the 18”.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    For the Brownells link, they list 2 types, HBAR and Hybrid.

Don't use the hybrid on any Post 10/2013 AR Lowers. HBAR only on post 10/2013 Lowers

The Criterion link is the HBAR.

thank you sir

can you school me on gas systems quick!
    when i pulled the new upper apart i found that the gas tube was shorter than the new barrel. So i am guessing that the new upper had a carbine gas system. But one big thing i noticed when i shot the gun...stock stag arms...it shot rough like it was over gassed. when i switched to the new upper the gun shot so much better and smoother! (the new upper came built with barrel, gas system, bolt )
    Now fast forward to last night when installing the new barrel which has a mid-length gas system i of course added a longer gas tube and installed it all. So i just wanted to make sure i am on the right path here and make sure i am doing it right. The way i understand it...i had a carbine gas system before and now on my 16" barrel i now have a mid-length gas system right...which should give me less recoil. right...not that is was looking for that...but when i ordered my barrels it was the option i picked cause it was what i thought i had without looking.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    thank you sir

can you school me on gas systems quick!
    when i pulled the new upper apart i found that the gas tube was shorter than the new barrel. So i am guessing that the new upper had a carbine gas system. But one big thing i noticed when i shot the gun...stock stag arms...it shot rough like it was over gassed. when i switched to the new upper the gun shot so much better and smoother! (the new upper came built with barrel, gas system, bolt )
    Now fast forward to last night when installing the new barrel which has a mid-length gas system i of course added a longer gas tube and installed it all. So i just wanted to make sure i am on the right path here and make sure i am doing it right. The way i understand it...i had a carbine gas system before and now on my 16" barrel i now have a mid-length gas system right...which should give me less recoil. right...not that is was looking for that...but when i ordered my barrels it was the option i picked cause it was what i thought i had without looking.

All things being equal a mid length gas system will have milder recoil and will stress parts less than a carbine gas system.

Longer the gas systems mean less recoil and less stress to parts

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    All things being equal a mid length gas system will have milder recoil and will stress parts less than a carbine gas system.

Longer the gas systems mean less recoil and less stress to parts

so i did ok!
    will i need to do any other adjusting to the buffer and or will i have to watch what ammo i shoot?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    AR Rookie question: Do the non-HBAR restrictions apply to calibers other than .223/5.56 (i.e., 6.5 Grendel)?
    Again, if enough ambiguous laws are passed, anyone can be a criminal just through poor combination of components.

No. The HBAR rule is for .223 / 5.56 rifles. If you build a different caliber it does not apply.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    so i did ok!
    will i need to do any other adjusting to the buffer and or will i have to watch what ammo i shoot?

There is no one answer for buffers or springs without knowing the gas port size, ammunition that will be used, and other factors.

Pin gauges are necessary for that measurement.

If you go too light the gun will have reliability issues and recoil too hard. If you go too heavy ammo with weak port pressure won't cycle.

If you add a suppressor or booster muzzle device it will make the gun gassed more and can cause reliability issues.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    There is no one answer for buffers or springs without knowing the gas port size, ammunition that will be used, and other factors.

Pin gauges are necessary for that measurement.

If you go too light the gun will have reliability issues and recoil too hard. If you go too heavy ammo with weak port pressure won't cycle.

If you add a suppressor or booster muzzle device it will make the gun gassed more and can cause reliability issues.

ok i measured .081" and my current buffer is all stock. Stock carbine spring and weight which i believe is 3oz. I did not touch any of that. Also i would want to shoot off the shelf ammo. I don't think i am smart enough to load my own yet! lol

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    ok i measured .081" and my current buffer is all stock. Stock carbine spring and weight which i believe is 3oz. I did not touch any of that. Also i would want to shoot off the shelf ammo. I don't think i am smart enough to load my own yet! lol

Unless there is some lightweight carrier or something wrong, a H3 should work unless you shoot steel cased or PMC.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    And yes sounds very fishy. But that's my whole concern. No one seems to know the law. In fact My instructor was put in cuffs 3 months ago on his way to class. He is US Marshall and a LEO the deputy pulled him over for speeding and my instructor for what ever reason disclosed that he was carrying and showed him his credentials and the deputy had him step out of the car and put him in cuffs and stated that Maryland does not recognize any other states carry permit.WTF! The deputy's Sergent came to the scene and yelled at the deputy to get him out of cuffs stating that the instructors creds out weight the deputies! lol

Who was this "Instructor"? Where did this happen?

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Unless there is some lightweight carrier or something wrong, a H3 should work unless you shoot steel cased or PMC.

Nope the carrier is a spikes nickel boron and is not lightweight.

Ok so run a H3 and make sure it cycles and licks back reliably. So maybe run like 20, 1 round mags through and I should be good to go. If I have a problem drop to an h2.
    Do I mess with the spring and just switch the buffer and before I go and pick a brand (learned my lesson from my barrel selection) what buffer do you recommend?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Nope the carrier is a spikes nickel boron and is not lightweight.

Ok so run a H3 and make sure it cycles and licks back reliably. So maybe run like 20, 1 round mags through and I should be good to go. If I have a problem drop to an h2.
    Do I mess with the spring and just switch the buffer and before I go and pick a brand (learned my lesson from my barrel selection) what buffer do you recommend?

Avoid spikes buffers.

Any other American made buffer that is marked H3 is ok.

If the spring is suspect, and want standard springs Colt is the way to go. They are called action springs by colts nomenclature. If you want an improved life spring a Sprinco spring or Tubb spring will last the life of the weapon. You have to be sure you have a smooth buffer tube bore in order to use a Tubb Flatwire spring.

You may run into issues with NiB and the Criterion barrel as well as gas key issues. Those require gauges to check though.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Avoid spikes buffers.

Any other American made buffer that is marked H3 is ok.

If the spring is suspect, and want standard springs Colt is the way to go. They are called action springs by colts nomenclature. If you want an improved life spring a Sprinco spring or Tubb spring will last the life of the weapon. You have to be sure you have a smooth buffer tube bore in order to use a Tubb Flatwire spring.

You may run into issues with NiB and the Criterion barrel as well as gas key issues. Those require gauges to check though.

Ok understood. My buffer tube is a UTG. So will the colt spring work on UTG? My tube and spring are brand new.
    Right now this setup is all with the Faxon barrel. The criterion barrel will not be here till next week. And that's where I will start build 3. But the bolt for that build is a bcm nitrate.

Link for the buffer
    https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-Carbine-H3-Buffer-p/sp400032.htm

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Ok understood. My buffer tube is a UTG. So will the colt spring work on UTG? My tube and spring are brand new.
    Right now this setup is all with the Faxon barrel. The criterion barrel will not be here till next week. And that's where I will start build 3. But the bolt for that build is a bcm nitrate.

Link for the buffer
    https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-Carbine-H3-Buffer-p/sp400032.htm

The Colt will work.

Check for bolt travel with that buffer tube:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=215953&highlight=Bolt

KYtoMD

Mar 23, 2017
    MD
    With a $300 budget, you can do much better than Faxon.

Here's a Criterion 20" HBAR barrel for $300. This is a match-grade, 410R stainless barrel with a hand-lapped bore.
    https://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfa20nmhbarss1x8plainmuzzle.aspx

If you prefer a different length or if you like chrome lined vs. stainless, they offer those as well for similar prices. If you shop around a bit, I believe you can find Criterion barrels for as little as $250 with coupon codes at places like Brownells.

Also consider White Oak Armament barrels. They offer match-grade 223/556 barrels starting in the low $200 range.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    With a $300 budget, you can do much better than Faxon.

Here's a Criterion 20" HBAR barrel for $300. This is a match-grade, 410R stainless barrel with a hand-lapped bore.
    https://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfa20nmhbarss1x8plainmuzzle.aspx

If you prefer a different length or if you like chrome lined vs. stainless, they offer those as well for similar prices. If you shop around a bit, I believe you can find Criterion barrels for as little as $250 with coupon codes at places like Brownells.

Also consider White Oak Armament barrels. They offer match-grade 223/556 barrels starting in the low $200 range.

i already got the barrels. i bought both the faxon and the criterion and just decided to build a 3rd gun

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom