• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    I want something that is a) IN the ear (i.e. NOT muffs), b) electronic noise cancelling for sharp reports, c) sound amplifying for conversations and d) has Bluetooth.

Any ideas? Or at least really good suggestions for the first 3 requirements? (Although Bluetooth is something I would really like to see as part of the package.)

sbowers

Jun 15, 2012
    I’m going to follow this thread for recommendations. I have been looking at ESP and Tetra, but haven’t committed to a purchase yet.

hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD
    I have been wondering the same thing.
    I would really like to know if any of them can tame a .308 or 5.56 round's noise without additional help from over the ears.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would really like to know if any of them can tame a .308 or 5.56 round's noise without additional help from over the ears.

The 3M EEP-100 with the screw tips are 30 dBA NRR. Which is higher than any muffs. And only slightly below good foam plugs (33 - 34 NRR).

I recently talked to 3M about the TEP-100 versus the EEP-100.

The TEP is their tactical product. It is sealed better against dust and water intrusion than the EEP.

The other major difference is that the TEP case can recharge the plugs with 3x AAA batteries. The EEP requires access to a USB charging port.

The difference in price is about $200.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD

Yes, the 3m ones are good quality. 30db with the better tips. That's light years better than the walkers versions.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Their website says that they are good up to 35 DB.

But it also says that they are out of stock... :(

Midway usually has them in stock. I believe that mine are rated at 31db NRR. Much more comfortable that over the ear. I've had no discomfort shooting .308 out of a 16.1" barrel or .556 while wearing them.

boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Walkers Razor XV hits all of the the requirements. I use them at the range and for hunting.

I found them on Amazon. I'm picturing shooting a silhouette match up at Atglen with 20 rifles going off at the same time all up and down the bench. Will they take care of that sort of constant firing from benches on both sides?

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    How is fitment, are they comfortable and seat well?

They come with 3 or 4 sets of foam tips of different sizes. The medium tips seated well for me and I've found them to be comfortable enough to keep in for all day hunts.

I found them on Amazon. I'm picturing shooting a silhouette match up at Atglen with 20 rifles going off at the same time all up and down the bench. Will they take care of that sort of constant firing from benches on both sides?

The active sound amplification cuts out when a certain db threshold is exceeded and turns back on when dbs are below that level again. At that point, I believe it is the same base NRR rating as having them in but turned off. I haven't used them in a scenario that many simultaneous shots (maybe 5 active lanes at once), but I'd imagine the active sound cut out would just be a bit longer.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah you’d mostly just have the sound amplification turned off in that case. Maybe they are better than any in ears I’ve ever used, but I think he scenario you’ve described, especially if several nearby shooters are using brakes, there are no single set of heating protection that would really be sufficient. Indoor range of course would be worse. Maybe my hearing is just more sensitive, but even >30dB NR for just one thing isn’t enough. IMHO, your mileage may vary.

That should be fine with a shooter or two or just yourself if you don’t have a super obnoxious setup for any of your guns. A score of rifles, probably someone with a ridiculous brake, possibly someone shooting right next to you with an obnoxious brake...plan on wearing overs possibly on top of in ear.

It would be great for hunting (so long as not waterfowl hunting with a D-bag who touches one off two feet from your ear). Great for something like IDPA.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    The 3M EEP-100 with the screw tips are 30 dBA NRR. Which is higher than any muffs. And only slightly below good foam plugs (33 - 34 NRR).

I recently talked to 3M about the TEP-100 versus the EEP-100.

The TEP is their tactical product. It is sealed better against dust and water intrusion than the EEP.

The other major difference is that the TEP case can recharge the plugs with 3x AAA batteries. The EEP requires access to a USB charging port.

The difference in price is about $200.

While I was looking, the EEP doesn't come with the Screw Tips, an extra $30-$35 from what I've found.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    While I was looking, the EEP doesn't come with the Screw Tips, an extra $30-$35 from what I've found.

But that is for something for 10 of them

$20.83 on Amazon.

And the TEP comes with one set. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom