• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Went out Monday and bagged a squirrel with my Grandpa's old 16 gauge H&R. Boy, I forgot how tough it is to skin a squirrel! It was a good size, but I cut the meat off the bones and put it in the freezer. I think I need at least a couple more to make a good stew. Any good recipes out there? Let's hear your favorite stew recipes.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Went out Monday and bagged a squirrel with my Grandpa's old 16 gauge H&R. Boy, I forgot how tough it is to skin a squirrel! It was a good size, but I cut the meat off the bones and put it in the freezer. I think I need at least a couple more to make a good stew. Any good recipes out there? Let's hear your favorite stew recipes.

We usually use 4-6 for a decent batch. A pain to skin, but delicious.

duckduckgoose

Sep 7, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    All depends on how large of a pot you've got! I'd say at least a 2-3 pounds per gallon.

Now for some reason I'm thinking about what would happen with sous vide squirrel, anyone ever tried?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Had it a few times as a kid, my dad used to take me squirrel hunting. Never had it in stew, my parents would bread it and pan fry it in oil. It came out a lot like fried chicken, but almost everything had the greasiness and texture of a chicken thigh or drumstick, no 'white meat' to be found.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Had it a few times as a kid, my dad used to take me squirrel hunting. Never had it in stew, my parents would bread it and pan fry it in oil. It came out a lot like fried chicken, but almost everything had the greasiness and texture of a chicken thigh or drumstick, no 'white meat' to be found.

Almost all heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    We usually use 4-6 for a decent batch. A pain to skin, but delicious.

Yeah, I'd say about that much. But if you want to stretch the squirrel, gut it, chop off the head and throw the whole thing in. You are mostly looking for the flavor and less about the meat. Bones and bits you wouldn't normally get off the bones.

I rarely eat them, mostly taking care of some over population. I do love them, but also find them a pain and most of the time I am only shooting 1 or sometimes 2.

I am going camping, fishing and squirrel hunting in a couple of weeks. I plan to either grill up what I get or make a stew (I plan to bring some stew fixin's just in case).

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I’m telling you guys stop with the stew!!!

Crock pot the squirrels in French onion soup. Pull the meat once cooked, then roll up in a croissant with green peppers, onions, and provolone. Bake the croissant until golden and eat.

So F’n good!!!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Crock pot the squirrels in French onion soup. Pull the meat once cooked, then roll up in a croissant with green peppers, onions, and provolone. Bake the croissant until golden and eat.

So F’n good!!!

Except I F'n hate french onion soup

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    damn

So F’n good!!!

I'm in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom