• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kolohekanaka

Jul 23, 2017
    Howard County, MD
    At first glance this looks ridiculous. But actually a magazine is a brilliant way to carry extra ammo for a revolver. Rig an ammo belt with several mags and with practice it would be easy to strip rounds one-handed to reload.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1600419155416.jpg
      FB_IMG_1600419155416.jpg
      40.1 KB · Views: 1,057

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    There's an app for that.

BTW, I don't know of many mags for .38 special, .357, .44, etc.

There are revolvers that shoot 9mm, .40, .45, etc., but they require moon clips for extraction, and in some cases to keep position in the cylinder. So would you be popping single rounds off the mag with one hand, inserting them into the moon clips with your other two hands, while holding your revolver with the fourth hand? Not going to work unless you plan to take 5 and squat on the ground and get busy.

People who carry revolvers that require moon clips generally carry their reloads preloaded in other moon clips. It takes a bit of time and precision. Loading the moon clips with loose rounds taken from a mag is not something you want to be doing in a stressful or time critical situation.

Last edited:

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Most any ammo that will fit in a semi auto magazine has a rebated (non protruding) rim and has to be loaded like this before you can use it in a revolver. See the problem?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    At first glance this looks ridiculous. But actually a magazine is a brilliant way to carry extra ammo for a revolver. Rig an ammo belt with several mags and with practice it would be easy to strip rounds one-handed to reload.

It’s actually a horrible way.
    They make these things called speed loaders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Most any ammo that will fit in a semi auto magazine has a rebated (non protruding) rim and has to be loaded like this before you can use it in a revolver. See the problem?

Most are rimless. Where the rim is the same diameter as the case just ahead of the groove.

Rebated rims, the rim area is actually smaller than the case in front of the groove.

Attachments

• rims.gif
      rims.gif
      9.3 KB · Views: 449

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

*****Jenius!!!! Vice versa - or versa vice with Semi Autos... When seconds count, only a dummy would have no way of reloading fast ! My setup involves dropping the cartridges into the mag well using speed loaders. Duh!!!! That's why you hold the gun sideways to shoot, so they don't fall out the bottom!!!!

An yea, that youth shouldn't have his finger on the trigger until he's ready to shoot - it's one of the big rules of firearm safety... He clearly needs to take the HQL class again...:thumbsup:

Attachments

• HD reload.jpg
      HD reload.jpg
      14.6 KB · Views: 404

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There's an app for that.

BTW, I don't know of many mags for .38 special, .357, .44, etc.

There are revolvers that shoot 9mm, .40, .45, etc., but they require moon clips for extraction, and in some cases to keep position in the cylinder. So would you be popping single rounds off the mag with one hand, inserting them into the moon clips with your other two hands, while holding your revolver with the fourth hand? Not going to work unless you plan to take 5 and squat on the ground and get busy.

People who carry revolvers that require moon clips generally carry their reloads preloaded in other moon clips. It takes a bit of time and precision. Not something you want to be doing in a stressful or time critical situation.

Actually they are quite a bit easier and quicker than a speed loader for rimmed handgun ammo. Open the cylinder dump the empties and "throw" the moon clip at the cylinder and the rounds pretty much auto index and go right in.

I had a S&W 929 for a while, and after being shown by a friend, who uses one in IDPA matches, how to "throw" the moon clips to reload, it became infinitely easier.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I prefer these...

Attachments

• 9dbcf544b9da1766f5b0ef822ce968d3.jpg
      9dbcf544b9da1766f5b0ef822ce968d3.jpg
      79.5 KB · Views: 375

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Actually they are quite a bit easier and quicker than a speed loader for rimmed handgun ammo. Open the cylinder dump the empties and "throw" the moon clip at the cylinder and the rounds pretty much auto index and go right in.

I had a S&W 929 for a while, and after being shown by a friend, who uses one in IDPA matches, how to "throw" the moon clips to reload, it became infinitely easier.

When I said it was time consuming, I was talking about pulling loose, rimless rounds from a magazine and loading them into moon clips to put into the revolver.

I was pointing out the silliness of using a mag to carry rounds for a revolver.

Moon clips for rimless, or strips or speedloaders for rimmed cartridges would be the way to go. Not a loaded mag.

Added some words to my original post.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    When I said it was time consuming, I was talking about pulling loose, rimless rounds from a magazine and loading them into moon clips to put into the revolver.

I was pointing out the silliness of using a mag to carry rounds for a revolver.

Moon clips for rimless, or strips or speedloaders for rimmed cartridges would be the way to go. Not a loaded mag.

Added some words to my original post.

Roger.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    A revolver for me is the "Gun I carry when I don't feel like carrying a gun". I don't carry extra boolits. Unlike a semi, a speed loader or strip does not help clear a revolver malfunction. For a semi, it is imperative to have in case of an anomaly. Statistics say that a self defense shoot will only be a round or 2. I can say that mine will probably be at least a few more than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom