• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Has anyone here tried WC820 surplus powder?

It was originally used for the .30 carbine military round.

The load data varies by lot #, some use H110 data, some use AA#9 data.

I got a batch that uses the H110 data from Jeff Bartlett @ gibrass.

I am wondering if I should use a magnum primer with this powder. I have already loaded and tested some .30 carbine loads with it, with regular small rifle primers, and they did fine but had more variation in velocity than my loads with Ramshot Enforcer or Alliant 2400. So I plan to try some with magnum SR primers for the .30 carbine when I load more up. The results very closely mimic expected velocities from H110 so the powder is fine...

My next project is to try some 7.62x25 handgun loads with it. There's data out there for H110. I see varying advice on the primer. Some say they use regular small pistol and it does fine. Others swear you need magnum primers.

Has anyone used this surplus WC820 powder? If not, what types of primers are you guys using with H110?

Thanks for the help

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I have been loading for my 30carb with it. The lot said AA9 but ive noticed its closer to H110. Part of the issue may have been the very cold winter as well but when loaded to AA9 it was very sooty and short stroked.

I need a chronograph though as I wasn't able to measure velocities.

For the carbine just used small rifle primers. Also loaded some in 357 mag and it performed pretty well out of a Rossi lever gun.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    It's SUPER fine, yes. A lot like Ramshot Enforcer, leaks all over the damned place from my "perfect" powder measure :) But it does meter very well, just have to clean up well when you're done!

stu929, did you get a load worked out for .30 carbine that wasn't so sooty? Lemme know what charge you're using if you don't mind.

When I emailed Ramshot about an Enforcer load for .30 carbine (there wasn't a published load at the time, not sure about now) They told me the powder was originally designed for the .30 carbine cartridge. I thought that was interesting....

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I am over 14. I believe I stopped at 14.2 but in talking to some guys on the cmp board they had some go as high as 14.8 this is why I want a chronograph. My loads still didnt feel as stout as factory but I wanted to know what kind of so we I was producing to give me a better idea of where the powder was.

Pull down is a great price but you have to work the load every new batch you get as it isnt consistent batch to batch like canister grade powder. While mine was listed as AA9 I think the seller was wrong as 13.0 which is max for AA9 would not come close to cycling my M1 carbine and still felt very mild. But again this brings me back to a chronograph and my need for one.

Steve

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I am over 14. I believe I stopped at 14.2 but in talking to some guys on the cmp board they had some go as high as 14.8 this is why I want a chronograph. My loads still didnt feel as stout as factory but I wanted to know what kind of so we I was producing to give me a better idea of where the powder was.

Pull down is a great price but you have to work the load every new batch you get as it isnt consistent batch to batch like canister grade powder. While mine was listed as AA9 I think the seller was wrong as 13.0 which is max for AA9 would not come close to cycling my M1 carbine and still felt very mild. But again this brings me back to a chronograph and my need for one.

Steve

I'm in the exact same boat! I think the highest I went with my batch of WC820 was 13.5gr. It cycled but didn't feel right.

My dad has one of the Shooting Chrony F1 master's, it works well. 110 bucks and it has the remote display you can set on the bench instead of having to read it off the chrony itself where it stands. The version without the remote display is only 78. I think I'll probably go cheap, I need to get one soon. Take the guess work out...

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Before I went any higher im going to replace my recoil spring to make sure it isn't bleeding gas early and find someone with a chrono. I think im still a little low on the charge per some people ive spoken with and the way the rifle feels but id rather be safe than sorry.

Plus most of my tests in the 13-14 range were below freezing temps and I want to exclude that as a factor.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Before I went any higher im going to replace my recoil spring to make sure it isn't bleeding gas early and find someone with a chrono. I think im still a little low on the charge per some people ive spoken with and the way the rifle feels but id rather be safe than sorry.

Plus most of my tests in the 13-14 range were below freezing temps and I want to exclude that as a factor.

Best to be safe, for sure.

I put a Wolff extra power recoil spring on mine, as well as an M2 mag catch because I was having on occasional feeding issue. Not sure which one it needed, or both, but it seems to be fixed.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    70 bucks, is it that much? I ordered the complete spring kit but don't remember it being so high. I get the dealer discount, 33% off for having a C&R

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I'm the same way! I just didn't remember it being that much.
    Never heard of Orion 7, I'll check into them

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    On the topic of Chrony's the cold seems to be messing with mine.

I was getting some weird numbers so I tested some .45acp Federal champion out of my USP and got a consistent 650-715fps.

I then tried some 7.62x39 that I chronied before I was gettine weird readings that metered about 2360, and that chronographed 2110-2150

My Tokarev's are metering the same, so I think my Chrony has been on the fritz and reading low for a while now.

Please disregard any velocities I may have posted recently, as they will most likely be quite a bit lower than what they actually are.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    On the topic of Chrony's the cold seems to be messing with mine.

I was getting some weird numbers so I tested some .45acp Federal champion out of my USP and got a consistent 650-715fps.

I then tried some 7.62x39 that I chronied before I was gettine weird readings that metered about 2360, and that chronographed 2110-2150

My Tokarev's are metering the same, so I think my Chrony has been on the fritz and reading low for a while now.

Please disregard any velocities I may have posted recently, as they will most likely be quite a bit lower than what they actually are.

Bummer, what kind of chrony is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom