• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DennisCA

I've seen a couple of youtube video's where the person has mention to use a barrel conditioner/seasoner after cleaning th muzzleloader. I hear it been referred to "bore-butter".
    My question is it some I need to get or a waste of my $$?

Appericate da input!
    :D

Dec 31, 2012
    It's a rust preventative for storage as well as a lubricant for shooting. You can use natural substitutes like lard if you want to go old school. I know people use crisco and I have tried that but I do like bore butter. It seems to improve clean up after shooting if I had the gun lubed with bore butter first.

easier cleanup = less chance for rust

For storage I prefer Ballistol overall with some bore butter in the barrel.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I use Bore Butter as a barrel preservative & a bullet lube. It works well! I have a Rem 700 inline that is pushing 15 years old, and the bore is mirror bright still. You need to clean the barrel & dry it before you wipe it and coat it with bore butter - for storage.

I also use bore butter, on breach plugs, and nipple threads, as anti seize, and none of those ever got stuck.

If you are shooting sabots, a touch of Bore butter on the plastic sleeve, makes seating the sabot much easier, and will help reduce plastic fouling.

For lead bullets it works very good too.

Lots of shooters use bore butter to lube patches too.

A large tube of that stuff will last you a longtime.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    I season every MZL with Bore Butter. Deep Creek is right, it must be cleaned before application or it won't work. One thing many don't know though is is must be cleaned of any petroleum based solvent/oil. I pull my barrels and submerge in hot soapy water and scrub the hell out of them. It removes all the oil on the steel and then the bore butter soaks in and seasons the bore like seasoning a cast iron pan. Once seasoned you can never use a petroleum based solvent again or it will destroy the seasoning. They make great water based solvents, TC #9, I think. Since I use 777 it cleans with water anyway and works great with water based solvents. My Omega is 10+ years old and has been in many trees with me rain and shine. The bore still looks new.

I used it on my son's Impact too. It is good stuff.

Vic

fogman

Been using RIG(Rust Inhibiting Grease) for over 25 years in all my muzzleloaders using black powder. I've never gotten consistent results with the BP substitutes. Back when I started T/C was pushing their Pyrodex and "All Natural" bore butter and seasoning your bore. Claimed it wouldn't rust, I never got it to perform as claimed. I've had the best results cleaning with Hoppe's Black Powder Solvent, a good flush with hot soapy water, a few dry patches, then while the bore is still warm running a patch covered in RIG down the bore and wiping down all the metal with a small cloth saturated in RIG.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom