• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy
    So I feel the need for another 308 battle rifle and have narrowed it down to and FNAR, Ruger SR762 or a DPMS Oracle.

My thought:

FNAR:
    Pros: quality, mid range price.
    Cons: versatility, available accesories.

DPMS:
    Pros: low price, versatility, available accesories, low price, did I mention low price?
    Cons:Quality?, accuracy?

Ruger:
    Pros: everything?
    Cons: price.

Please give me some input and suggestions.

Thanks,
    Gary

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The FNAR is harder to field strip than the other two.

The DPMS has a wider following than the Armalite AR-10, and Magpul makes magazines for it. You can swap out the upper if you want, a lot of other manufacturers, including I believe S&W, will directly swap out.

Never buy the first Rugers out of the gate. You have been warned :)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Honestly? DPMS. The LR-308 has always had a pretty good reputation for accuracy and reliability, it uses DI (unlike the SR-762) so you can really free float it, it has a proven track record, and it's like half the price.

If AR-10s are scheduled to be banned next session, I'll be buying a DPMS LR-308. (Or a Colt LE-901?)

MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy
    The FNAR is harder to field strip than the other two.

The DPMS has a wider following than the Armalite AR-10, and Magpul makes magazines for it. You can swap out the upper if you want, a lot of other manufacturers, including I believe S&W, will directly swap out.

Never buy the first Rugers out of the gate. You have been warned :)

Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

The price on the DPMS kinda scares me. Does that reflect in the quality and accuracy?

I like the idea of a piston gun, but it's not a deal breaker especially when the DPMS is half the price or better. The FNAR is my 3rd choice, but seems to be quality.

I'm leaning more towards the DPMS anyone else with thoughts?

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I was thinking of grabbing a s&w m&p 10 myself as a backup to my yet to ship LaRue but the Ruger has me reevaluating my plans.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    If the price really bothers you...buy the DPMS and put a Kreiger on it, wont be more more than the others and bet it out shoots everyone of them.

MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy
    Honestly? DPMS. The LR-308 has always had a pretty good reputation for accuracy and reliability, it uses DI (unlike the SR-762) so you can really free float it, it has a proven track record, and it's like half the price.

If AR-10s are scheduled to be banned next session, I'll be buying a DPMS LR-308. (Or a Colt LE-901?)

Thanks. You got in while I was typing my last reply.

Now leaning more towards the DPMS. That's only one decent night at the poker tables, so it'll happen much sooner!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Actually, let me note that I'd also probably think about an RRA LAR-8, if only because I already have a bunch of FAL magazines. But if it were "I want an AR-10", it'd be a DPMS Oracle 308... I'd always upgrade whatever I bought anyways.

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I was debating between an FNAR and a DPMS LR-308 last year. After watching how complicated the FNAR was to field strip I went with the DPMS (plus it helped that I'm familiar with the AR platform).

I probably only have 100 rounds through it so far but it has been great. I can't really give a realistic expectation of accuracy because I've only shot surplus ammo through it using a Vortex Strikefire sight. I was able to maintain consistent 2 inch groups at 100 yards. I'm fairly confident that I could probably drop that to 1.5 inch groups with a real scope and quality ammo.

MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy
    Actually, let me note that I'd also probably think about an RRA LAR-8, if only because I already have a bunch of FAL magazines. But if it were "I want an AR-10", it'd be a DPMS Oracle 308... I'd always upgrade whatever I bought anyways.

Well there you go throwing a wrench in things. I have FAL mags also. Add that beast to the list.

I'm checking them out now, but how different is it from the AR platform. I am familiar wtih them.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I picked up the Ruger SR762 from 2A last Friday.....

Went to AGC yesterday and put 100+ rounds through while sighting in a scope on it and just plain shooting it.

Had absolutely no problems and it was shooting all in 10 ring at 100 yards its first time out.

only changed one thing on it, I replaced the stock collapsing stock with a Magpul ACS stock...only complaint about the rifle...

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    1. I'd say look at an RFB, I just got one and they are PURDY!

2. The FNAR is mostly likely the most accurate out of the box listed there. Also, it was designed to be rugged and have a long working life. I'd pick it if it were me.

Check out NutNFancy's videos on youtube about the FNAR and the DPMS Oracle, great info!

0nesh0t

Feb 20, 2011
    Anne Arundel
    I think the FNAR equation is likely to be copied by other companies.

Common detach box mags
    Semi auto
    Non-AR "looking" with some AR features

I also like how Mossberg has developed the bolt version. .308 MVP series. Wonder if that will catch on.

CStuard

Sep 8, 2012
    We have two RRA AR15s and are very happy w/ them. But I went DPMS 'LR308T' for a .308. The main reason was DPMS uses much more common magazines. I am happy w/ it with two exceptions. First is it was shipped dry as a bone. I thought I had lubed it completely before the first range trip but then the safety locked in the fire position. Turns out all it needed was some grease. Second is that the trigger is terrible. I have smoothed it some to where it is barely acceptable but will be installing an RRA two stage.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    My only complaint about the FNAR is the weight. Well, OK, I don't like paying $50 for mags either. The oft cited field strip issue is really blown out of proportion. It's not that bad and there's no need to completely break it down on a regular basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom