• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy
    Hello everyone,

My first post, although I've lurked for quite a while. I need some help. I've searched and am still confused.

Question 1: Is anyone still doing transfers? I was in shooters discount and Lou said he is no longer doing transfers or ordering anything.

Question 2: I am trying to buy/transfer a Springfield XDM .45 compact. I believe I CAN still purhase it after Oct. 1 as long as it does not include a magazine with capacity over 10 rounds and I have the new Maryland license. Is this true?

Question 3: I currently own a few guns that I purchased about 20 years ago, an AR, Glock 21, etc.. They were all purchased legally and my handguns were tranfered through a shop that did background checks. How do I prove that I own them, so I don't have to go through the training course when I apply for the new license?

Question 4: I gave a Para Ordnance P-12 to my Wife's Aunt about 15 years ago, but didn't do any kind of paper work or anything. She also lives in Maryland. I know she would pass a background check, but I'm worried that she or I could get into trouble. Do I have anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance,
    Gary

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Try South Carroll Sporting Goods. Call Brian and ask him if he will do a transfer for you if you get the gun to him by a certain date. At this point, you are really, really cutting it close. Last day for paperwork is on September 22, 2013, and that is if you find a dealer that is completely comfortable with a pure on time release for somebody they do not know. A lot of places have been releasing on 12 to 14 days.

Anyway, South Carroll Sporting Goods is an IP on here, so you can look them up in the IP section. You would essentially have to buy your gun today and get it in the mail tomorrow to the FFL.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Oh yeah, assault long guns are a slightly different matter because you can put that paperwork in on or before September 30, 2013 and then pickup in October. Not so with handguns. If you cannot get the handgun taken care of by anybody, look around for an assault weapon you might want.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    What year did MSP start collecting the transfer information? In other words, if my Dad had a gun he got 10, 15 or 20 years ago, are they in the system?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    A sticky with a timeline of when the various laws took effect would be nice. It would make it easier for someone to figure out if they have a problem.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Hello everyone,

My first post, although I've lurked for quite a while. I need some help. I've searched and am still confused.

Question 1: Is anyone still doing transfers? I was in shooters discount and Lou said he is no longer doing transfers or ordering anything.

Question 2: I am trying to buy/transfer a Springfield XDM .45 compact. I believe I CAN still purhase it after Oct. 1 as long as it does not include a magazine with capacity over 10 rounds and I have the new Maryland license. Is this true?

Question 3: I currently own a few guns that I purchased about 20 years ago, an AR, Glock 21, etc.. They were all purchased legally and my handguns were tranfered through a shop that did background checks. How do I prove that I own them, so I don't have to go through the training course when I apply for the new license?

Question 4: I gave a Para Ordnance P-12 to my Wife's Aunt about 15 years ago, but didn't do any kind of paper work or anything. She also lives in Maryland. I know she would pass a background check, but I'm worried that she or I could get into trouble. Do I have anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance,
    Gary

1. Yes. Some options have been listed. Not all dealers are still selling, they don't want to get stuck with inventory after Oct. 1.

2. Yes, but with a caveat. Folks are expecting the handgun licenses to take up to 6 months to process. This is why dealers don't want inventory. Be prepared to wait.

3. If you bought them on a form 77r in Maryland, you should be good. Otherwise, you may want to speak with an attorney.

4. Other than confessing to committing a crime in a public forum, you're fine. I would advise against said aunt transferring the gun to anyone else in MD or MSP will be all over both of you.

I am not a lawyer.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    On question 4.... You could consider it a long term loan. But... Go to the Local MSP Barracks with her and file a 77R ASAP to affect a transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom