• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Do you mean the SOP under review? I think if i asked directly it would be ignored or or get a inaccurate response but would be impossible to prove.

Nope, I mean the SOP they are using right now, today. Not the one they plan to use that is under review.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Nope, I mean the SOP they are using right now, today. Not the one they plan to use that is under review.

When I asked for the current SOP mid May i received a reply saying that current SOP was on the website, but also stated there was a SOP under review that was not releasable "by policy". My suspicion is officially they are using the out of date published SOP but unofficially they are relying on an unpublished version that provides guidance on G&S , OPM and clearances.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    When I asked for the current SOP mid May i received a reply saying that current SOP was on the website, but also stated there was a SOP under review that was not releasable "by policy". My suspicion is officially they are using the out of date published SOP but unofficially they are relying on an unpublished version that provides guidance on G&S , OPM and clearances.

Ah....OK

doublins

Dec 16, 2015
    AA County

Just want to point out that if there are sections of the current SOP that are 'sensitive,' they may be exempted from PIA or FOIA requests, and what would be returned would have those sections sanitized from the document. It's possible that part of their SOP has been deemed not suitable for the general public at large due to the sensitive nature of some info

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Just want to point out that if there are sections of the current SOP that are 'sensitive,' they may be exempted from PIA or FOIA requests, and what would be returned would have those sections sanitized from the document. It's possible that part of their SOP has been deemed not suitable for the general public at large due to the sensitive nature of some info
    If that were the case they would just redact sensitive information, not refuse to give the document.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

gorckat

Sep 4, 2013
    Dundalk
    Just reread the SOP for question ideas. If these haven't already been covered, maybe:

1) how many applicants rejected for DHMH reasons
    2) how many rejected for criminal background
    3) how many rejected for interview reasons
    4) how many rejected for lacking good and substantial
    5) what statistics are reported to the AIU supervisor on a monthly basis?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'd be interested in the number of cases that went to Circuit Court, both after denial by MSP as well as those in which MSP had been overturned by HPRB. The finall dispositions would also be useful.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'd be interested in the number of cases that went to Circuit Court, both after denial by MSP as well as those in which MSP had been overturned by HPRB. The finall dispositions would also be useful.

Those are easy to look up.

Simply go to Maryland Judicial Case Search: http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/casesearch/

Under "search criteria, click on the box next to "Company"

Under "Company Name", type Handgun Permit Review Board.

The search comes up with 43 items, you would have to look at each one individually to determine "for" or "against" the applicant.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I can't help you with the first, but the second number is zero.

There are 8 cases in Maryland Judicial Case Search, that show that MSP was the plantiff and took the HPRB decision to court. None of those have been recent, (2001, 2003, 2007, and 2009).

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    There are 8 cases in Maryland Judicial Case Search, that show that MSP was the plantiff and took the HPRB decision to court. None of those have been recent, (2001, 2003, 2007, and 2009).

I assumed the query was for more recent decisions.

How many of those referenced above were for prohibited persons receiving a permit? :innocent0

mjester93

Mar 28, 2017
    Southern Maryland

Just a thought. I wonder if there are any circuit court judges that are more 2A friendly than the MSP? Maybe they might have a different clarification of "good and substantial" that includes self defense.

Just a thought.

mjester93

Mar 28, 2017
    Southern Maryland

Here are some stats based off the filing date

2016 - 1 case total; it was dismissed
    2015 - 3 cases total; 1 affirmed HPRB (denied), 1 voluntarily dismissed, 1 case revered HPRB's and MSP's decision (yay!)
    2014 - 1 case total; it was dismissed
    2013 - 1 case total; it was voluntarily dismissed
    2012 - No cases
    2011 - No cases
    2010 - 2 cases total; 2 affirmed HPRB (denied)
    2009 - 3 cases total; 1 affirmed HPRB (denied), 1 case affirmed HPRB (approved), 1 unknown (case number 03C09000289 if anyone wants to look it up)
    2008 - 1 case total; 1 sent back to HPRB for an additional hearing
    2007 - 1 case total; 1 case affirmed HPRB (unknown)
    2006 - 3 cases total; 2 case affirmed HPRB (denied)*, 1 case dismissed

*One case, Brown v. HPRB, went to the Maryland Court of Special Appeals and the case affirmed Circuit Court (denied).

After 2010 the data gets a bit spotty, so I stopped in 2006. I can continue if needed.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I assumed the query was for more recent decisions.

How many of those referenced above were for prohibited persons receiving a permit? :innocent0

I think you know the answer to the last question.....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom