• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    Hello everyone.

I've been living in AA county now for about 3 years and I am happy to see a forum up for Maryland shooters :party29:

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Spot77 said:
    What's your favorite things to shoot?
    OsamaTarget.jpg

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    Spot77 said:
    Welcome.....Quite a few AA county residents coming along.

What's your favorite things to shoot?

ah well lets see, I grew up in southern WV so I've had my fair share of experience with guns.

I haven't really been into handguns very long. I've shot my fathers 9mm a bit. Last year I bought a Baretta .22 Neos and its a lot of fun to shoot.

Currently I'm looking for a good .40 or .45 for additional knock down power and .... lets face its fun too :innocent0.

I actually almost bought a Glock 23 .40 cal last night but I didn't like the slide and magazine releases. So I'm still looking around.

I am thinking about looking for a Springfield XD .45 ACP and reading some reviews. The one thing I'm not sure about this one is the lack of a traditional safety, but that might not be as big of a concern as the trigger and handle safety's might be sufficient. I just wouldn't want to drop it while pulling it out and somehow squeeze the trigger injuring myself or someone else. I will have to get my hands on this one to see if its comfortable.

I will more than likely be looking at other models as well for a while before i find the right one.

I am also wanting to get a wasr-10 ak-47 before the newly elected congress kicks in and starts a whole new set of bans.

so i think my answer to your question would be "anything i can get my hands on":lol2:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    m4strmind,

Whereabouts in Southern WV? We've got some land down in Monroe County.

If you were OK with the safety function of the Glock, the XD is right up the same alley. It in fact has one more safety as you noted with the grip safety.

On Target has an XD45 in desert tan. Also had some Charles Daly 1911s if that's your bag.

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    Norton said:
    m4strmind,

Whereabouts in Southern WV? We've got some land down in Monroe County.

If you were OK with the safety function of the Glock, the XD is right up the same alley. It in fact has one more safety as you noted with the grip safety.

On Target has an XD45 in desert tan. Also had some Charles Daly 1911s if that's your bag.

about 30 mins outside of Beckley.

Yeah I am probably ok with the safety as I am confident that I would never touch the trigger until ready to fire anyway but the thought that you could somehow accidentally drop it and as catching it somehow squeeze the trigger the right way is a scary one. I'm fairly confident though that I'm just being overly paranoid on this and it would be fine and never happen. Especially seeing how Maryland may never pass carry laws and it wouldn't even be anything to worry about :mad54:

I think my decision on the XD depends on the slide release as it looks a lot like the Glock one and I'm hoping its not as awkward to get to nor as sharp. On the Glock 23 I was looking at I think I would have a blister on my thumb after going through a box of ammo.

I will prefer a black or bi-tone one though. I know I'm being awfully picky. I know for sure though that I'll be thinking about this for a while.

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    oh and about on target, I had went there not long ago but found their prices to be quite a bit higher than bass pro, I'm not sure of the on target people would negotiate but i just sort of left it at that.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The counter folks at On Target have no discretion on the prices. They are what they are.

Yes, Bass Pro is a bit cheaper but if a local shop has the same thing I'll be willing to pay a bit extra just to ensure that they stay in business. Bass Pro just recently started selling handguns and all it takes is a management decision to stop them again.

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    The counter folks at On Target have no discretion on the prices. They are what they are.

Yes, Bass Pro is a bit cheaper but if a local shop has the same thing I'll be willing to pay a bit extra just to ensure that they stay in business. Bass Pro just recently started selling handguns and all it takes is a management decision to stop them again.

yeah, I know what you mean.

I had a membership at on target last year, only let it expire because I moved to a different part of the county and have been wanting to find a closer range to home, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    a little update on the XD... just from my thoughts and research, I haven't went out to look at it yet.

apparently this weapon can have up to an 8 lb trigger pull. I assume its an added safety due to the type of trigger an handle safety's that this gun has.

I'm not to much of a fan of that style of safety anyway, and the 8 lb trigger pull seems like it would definately decrease your accuracy.

I could probably get some work done on the gun to reduce the trigger pull, but i don't think i would want to do it with a safety system that just allows you to pull and fire.

Its a shame, I really liked most things about what i was looking at the xd, especially the front rails.

I'll probably go and hold it anyway just to see, but i'm probably still looking around for the right .40 or .45.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    M4,

If you haven't yet ruled out the XD, and you can make it to the get together on the 13th you are welcome to shoot my XD 45 Tactical. The trigger pull is not bad at all. It's certainly no Les Baer, but it is pretty decent for what it is. There are also some options out there to improve the trigger pull on the gun for around a hundred bucks.

Good luck.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Also....On Target has an XD45 in the rental case and a new one in the sales case. The one for sale has the coyote brown lower on it so it's been sitting there a while. I think they also have an XD40 and 9 for sale.

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    Oh hey, that would be great.

I've been trying to keep my mind off it until after Christmas so i don't upset the wife to bad with a fresh purchase.

But i think i'm going to get the XD .40 4 inch, I held one the other day when i went looking at a FNP and i just fell in love with the feel of the XD.

I wasnt able to feel the trigger pull of the XD but as you said there is always the option of reducing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom