• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    I have been doing a lot of research on this, but i'm curious to hear what people around here can suggest for a $300-$500 scope (new or used) for a 1000 yard 6.5 grendel build.

I don't have the best eyes, so i think i would tend to want more zoom than the average user.

I wear glasses if that matters (i know some scopes have very poor eye relief).

Curious to hear what people suggest :)

P.S: Yes i know, plenty of very expensive glass out there, i myself used very, very expensive professional Nikon lenses when i shot professionally. I'm not planning to compete or anything, so makes zero sense for me to waste money on expensive glass.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Fixed 20x SWFA super sniper would be my recommendation. In that price range I would avoid scopes named after birds of prey.

In general I’d avoid scopes with variable power, side parralax adjustment and illuminated reticles...those extras come at a cost at that price range and that’s mostly in glass quality. 1000 yds is very unforgiving when it comes to poor glass.

Good scopes don’t have to cost a lot, but you get what you pay for with optics. Keep the bells and whistles to a minimum and get good glass with repeatable adjustments

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    Thank you. Been looking at it, but problem with fixed is that i'll be doing a lot of 300 and 500 shooting too. Most likely more than 1000 since that range is further away.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Athlon Argos is nice for that price range. If you spend a little more you could go for an Athlon Ares, or a Vortex Viper. I looked through the Ares, Argos, and Viper PST II when I was buying mine. I ended up spending extra for the Vortex because it felt better to me. But the glass on both Athlon’s were nice.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have seen a few gen 1 pst go for $500 - $550 just FYI.

Since the Gen IIs came out the Gen Is are very affordable. I have an HST SFP and a PST FFP in 6-24. I think I paid close to $1000 for each, but now I see them for $500 all over. They are both good scopes but the zero stop on the new Gen IIs vs the shims on the Gen Is is a lot nicer, plus the turrets are a huge step up.

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    MIL or MOA?

Seems to be divided in half... Read the articles... I can't tell which one is 'right' for me... Or when I'm taking courses, what is recommended...

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Athlon Argos is nice for that price range. If you spend a little more you could go for an Athlon Ares, or a Vortex Viper. I looked through the Ares, Argos, and Viper PST II when I was buying mine. I ended up spending extra for the Vortex because it felt better to me. But the glass on both Athlon’s were nice.

No experience with these, but saw an open box model on sale today for $330 ...

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1132733#/topics/1132733

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    what type of shooting are you planning on doing? just basic static position, banging away at steel? or positional prs style matches?

i'd look at a fixed power. like major03 said, they are cutting corners somewhere to get to the price point on the variables. plus the variable really only helps when you are transitioning between targets at varying distances / sizes and multiple positions ala prs.

i have a 12x swfa and love it. good glass, repeatable adjustments, holds zero with no problems, decent clicks on the turrets and a simple mil hash reticle. i've heard the 16x are nice too. both are well within your price range. the swfa 3-15 is also at the top end if you are looking for a variable with decent glass and repeatable turrets. if you check out their sample list page, there are always really good deals on used ones.

i also have an athlon midas tac 6-24x50 and really like it so far but that is getting out of your price range. the lower tier athlons do have good features for good value but you get what you pay for. better glass equals higher price.

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    what type of shooting are you planning on doing? just basic static position, banging away at steel? or positional prs style matches?

i'd look at a fixed power. like major03 said, they are cutting corners somewhere to get to the price point on the variables. plus the variable really only helps when you are transitioning between targets at varying distances / sizes and multiple positions ala prs.

i have a 12x swfa and love it. good glass, repeatable adjustments, holds zero with no problems, decent clicks on the turrets and a simple mil hash reticle. i've heard the 16x are nice too. both are well within your price range. the swfa 3-15 is also at the top end if you are looking for a variable with decent glass and repeatable turrets. if you check out their sample list page, there are always really good deals on used ones.

i also have an athlon midas tac 6-24x50 and really like it so far but that is getting out of your price range. the lower tier athlons do have good features for good value but you get what you pay for. better glass equals higher price.

I'll be learning to shoot 'long range' up to 1000 yards. Then i'll see where it takes me. So paper target, steel targets, etc.

Most likely from sitting/laying positions.

Because i'll mostly be doing 300 yards and some 500 yards nearby, i was thinking a variable is a most. The goal is 1000 yard, but that range is a bit further away so it will be later (but i don't want to go owning 2 scopes or anything).

Athlon Optics Argos BTR 6-24x50 - APMR FFP IR MIL seems to tick all the boxes. Sent some feelers out, if it doesn't work out there's that demo version that was posted (ty).

Any idea for rings? I'v seen $50 rings and $250 rings... haha...

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    Athlon Optics Argos BTR 6-24x50 - APMR FFP IR MIL purchased :)

Looks like a solid scope, thank you everyone.

If anyone can recommend some good rings for it (budget friendly), that would be awesome.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Ronan, these are my new favorite budget rings. I used to be a fan of the Warne rings but the split design makes it hard to level scopes easily. My favorites are Seekins precision rings but they are 2-3X more than the UTGs and they both have a similar design. I also like American Defense and Larue but they start getting pricey.

The heights on the rings are confusing, make sure to measure the objective bell and the ring height before purchase. UTG rings are much higher than normal rings. Low=Med med=High etc. Make sure to measure before purchasing.

https://www.amazon.com/UTG-Pro-Prof...D=41pSuQK%2BzML&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Last edited:

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD
    Thank you!

Any advantage/disadvante to rings that are front/rear or the 1 piece?

2198472_15012908211628_is
    OR
    vortex-optics-precision-matched-rings.jpg

VS this style

197402.jpg

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I’d go with the second picture cause that’s what I’ve always used. I’m sure there’s technical reasons why one is better than the other that I’m just not aware of.

Since you went with the Argos make sure you YouTube how to take the mushy-ness out of the turrets. Also there’s videos on how to make it have a zero stop.

There’s a member here E.Shell that does Long range classes. I asked these same questions when I first came on here and he was highly recommended by anyone that’s taken the class. I haven’t been fortunate enough to take the class yet, but maybe reach out to him if you want professional help with shooting at distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom