• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TonyB

Feb 18, 2007
    Annapolis
    Hello all,
    I've been lurking around the forum for a few months, so it's about time I finally signed up.

I've lived in AA Co. (Annapolis and Harwood) my whole life, and will probably never leave. I've been casually shooting for a long time, but lately have had a real urge to get into target, plinking, and other PSA events. I might as well take a few basic classes, as I'm familiar with firearms, but haven't had any official training (besides from friends/family as a kid). :D

I'm also shopping for my first handgun (I've owned a 10-22 and a 20 gauge). I was at the show this w/e in Upper Marlboro and now I REALLY want one. I've looked into and like the XD line, prolly in a .40, but just need to get out there and test one (or a few) out.

I've researched the hell out of the XDs, and for the feel, the extra goodies, and the price...I think I'm sold. Last step is to rent one for a test drive (does On Target, Select Fire, or any other Annapolis-local ranges rent XDs?).

So far this forum has provided a lot of valuable info, but if anyone wants to chime in on the pros/cons of the XD line, fire away! :cool:
    I look forward to rambling some more in the future, meeting local enthusiasts, and maybe even offer some valuable info of my own...some day. :innocent0

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Welcome!

I think you're wise to look over and research what you want to buy first. I've heard a lot of good things about the XD's as well. I have found the key with buying any gun is to get what you like and want, and not what others "would get if they were you." The whole shooting culture is filled with Monday morning experts who will profess their own opinions as gospel as a result of one or two experiences they had or just heard about with a product. (I'm guilty of this sometimes too, but of course unlike them I'm never wrong so its okay:smoke: )

I would suggest even renting some to try out what you like as well. As an example, when my older brother got into shooting I went with him to make sure nobody screwed him over, he picked out something he thought he'd really like, a Hi-Power, took it to the range once and hated it, just didn't like the grip when he fired it or the action, now he's looking to trade it for something else. I know Select Fire in Glen Burnie lets you rent guns, not really sure if On-Target does or not.

Please see the sections of the forum regarding the current bills in Annapolis and what you can do also. A couple of these will affect all of us in the shooting community greatly.

TonyB

Feb 18, 2007
    Annapolis
    On Target DOES have XD's for rent.
    ... I know they had a 45 in the case.
    Good choice!

I'm leaning towards the .40 for a few reasons, the main two are:
    1. It's my first handheld; I'd like to have less expensive ammo to burn through at the range...that and 45s are powerful, maybe too powerful...not that a .40 isn't (I know, there's no such thing as too much powa!)
    2. My fiancee is interested in learning to shoot, likely on a regular basis. Of course, she may shoot a box worth and loose interest. I'd like to bring her along to a rental (prolly a 40 and 45), so we can shoot a box worth on each and gauge our interests. If she doesn't like shooting period, and I like and can handle the 45, then an 45ACP might find it's way into my safe. :party29: We'll see.

Regardless of which cal I decide on, I likely won't be able to purchase until after I can stop my bank account from hemorrhaging due to my upcoming wedding...but a guy can dream, right ? :cool:

I've heard a lot of good things about the XD's as well. I have found the key with buying any gun is to get what you like and want, and not what others "would get if they were you."

I would suggest even renting some to try out what you like as well.

Please see the sections of the forum regarding the current bills in Annapolis and what you can do also.

1. Exactly!! I see a lot of that on all the forums I've lurked.
    2. I will absolutely have to fire (rent) any gun I plan on buying...maybe a few times. :)
    3. I've been following this crap for the past ~2 weeks. My office is 5 minutes from downtown; if I can get the afternoon off I plan on heading down and making my presence known...and to laugh at all the crazies (you know who you are). :innocent0

Thanks for the [quick] welcomes and words of advice. I look forward to asking many dumb questions in the future. :rolleyes:

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I wouldn't discount the .45 until you shoot one. I personally think the recoil of the .45 is more "pleasant" than the .40. The .40 is "snappier", if that makes any sense. (I often don't)

Also, Continental Arms, in Timonium, has a good selection of guns to rent, if you don't mind the drive.

TonyB

Feb 18, 2007
    Annapolis
    Hmm, interesting...and yes I think I understand your description. :)

I'm going to try and make a trip to On Target this weekend (Sunday is supposed to be nasty) and try out a 45 (and a 40, if they have one).
    I'll map out CA incase OT doesn't work out...that's about an hour v. 20 minutes from Annapolis, but WTH!
    Thanks for the heads-up.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I wouldn't discount the .45 until you shoot one. I personally think the recoil of the .45 is more "pleasant" than the .40.

I agree. I think the 45 feels much softer in general. And I've found WAY better deals on 45 ammo than on 40.

Either way, you'll have a great gun with an XD.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I wouldn't discount the .45 until you shoot one. I personally think the recoil of the .45 is more "pleasant" than the .40. The .40 is "snappier", if that makes any sense. (I often don't)

Also, Continental Arms, in Timonium, has a good selection of guns to rent, if you don't mind the drive.

+1, I like the 45 better too. More of a push than a snap. A .40 S/W is by definition a high pressure round already (which is why you never see it offered in +p) I have a .40 all-metal Kahr in addition to my duty weapon (a 40 Sig). The big Sig's recoil is okay but the Kahr beats the hell out of my thumb knuckle, got a scab healing right now from a 150 round session last week.

And 40 S/W is more expensive than 45 usually.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    one option would be to rent and try various handguns. I go to On-Target in Severn off 175 and they have a decent selection and the staff is helpful

TonyB

Feb 18, 2007
    Annapolis
    Cool, thanks for all the info and input, guys (& gals?).

I'm heading to OnTarget this morning with a friend of mine; he recently moved up here from FL and needs to find a regular/local range (he has a Beretta 9mm and a Glock27).
    I hear the staff there is knowledgeable and helpful...so if I have any questions, I won't hesitate to ask.

Also, interesting input on 40 being more $$ than 45! I'd heard/read a bunch of sources that it was the other way around...I'll swing by Wally mart and compare prices. That may seal the deal on my decision, assuming I like the way it handles.

Stay tuned, and thanks again...you guys are great! :party29:

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    If you want to shoot an XD 45 with a 5" barrell, send me a PM and we can meet at Continental, or another range. All you pay for is ammo and reange time.

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    I have several XD's both in 40 and 45 caliber and absolutely love them. I prefer the 5 in .45, However my wife does feel more comfortable shooting the 4 in. service model in .40. The XD's are some of my favorite pistols with lots of nice features on them. The only thing that I have heard some concerns with is that it does not have a safety switch. Some people feel uncomfortable with the grip safety.

I am not one of those I feel the grip safety works perfectly fine for my needs but it is just something you may want to consider.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    Just to keep with the above - dont discount a 45. Had my daughter fire for the first time recently. did a ppk .380, sig 9mm, Kimber 1911 .45 and a ruger vaquaro in .45. She hit square with first shot with both 45 and prefered the six-shooter.

TonyB

Feb 18, 2007
    Annapolis
    Thanks again for the input! With my wedding date getting closer and closer, I'll likely have to hold off on "unnecessary purchases" (fiancee's words) until June-ish.
    Based on some more thorough research and what you guys have mentioned, I have all but decided on a 45 Tactical (5")...firing a box through one will be the next to last step before pulling the trigger, both proverbially and literally. :thumbsup:

navycrna...in the Navy, I take it? I'm one of a dozen employees were at work that DOESN'T have a Navy background, besides living in Annapolis my whole life.:innocent0
    Are you currently at the academy?...a friend is a teacher in the EE (electrical engineering) program.

Thanks again for the input, everyone, see y'all around (maybe). :cool:

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    Not at the academy. Was a corpsman for 10 yrs before getting my commision. Been back and forth at Bethesda Naval Hosp quite a few times in my career. Good luck on finalizing your decision I think you will be happy with wichever you choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom