"Two to the chest, one to the head" Really?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    Thats your problem. It is intended as a COMBAT drill. Its origins are in combat. Hell, its even named for a conflict.

In CQB training i was taught this, except it was a Double Tap COM then immediately line up for the headshot and take it if necessary. And, of course, move appropriately while doing this. And typically it was a situation where the 12ga was empty with tangos remaining.

It is absolutely not meant for civilian use and would probably result in excessive force for a LEO. But that is the difference. In Combat you are actually trying to kill people, in a home invasion you are trying to use enough force to stop a threat.

Exactly the issue, then why are people teaching it?

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    The more and more scenarios I do, based on things I and other students come up with, the more I realize it is almost impossible to train for the real world with live fire. The situations and movement are so much more dynamic.- George

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Exactly the issue, then why are people teaching it?

How about to get your student to think in the "Red"?

To overcome tunnel vision. To continue to process all available tactical information, data and clues, to make a decisions and respond, develop and terminate the situation with the correct amount of firepower, shock effect and violence. To continue the fight until they don't think the other guy is dead but they have totally convinced him that he is dead.

The Mozambique, like the Tueller drill or any drill, is not about teaching a set tactic or response but trying to teach the shooter to think, act and survive in any tactical encounter.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The more and more scenarios I do, based on things I and other students come up with, the more I realize it is almost impossible to train for the real world with live fire. The situations and movement are so much more dynamic.- George

I know Suarez gets alot of crap for his training but he does use Gas Airsoft to train force on force. Its better than paintball and not as painful or costly as simmunitions.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    I know Suarez gets alot of crap for his training but he does use Gas Airsoft to train force on force. Its better than paintball and not as painful or costly as simmunitions.

What makes the Airsoft better? Shooting more like firearms? Guns shaped more like real firearms, or something else?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What makes the Airsoft better? Shooting more like firearms? Guns shaped more like real firearms, or something else?

It simulates having someone shoot at you. With Airsoft you download the gun to a capacity similar to a real weapons capacity that you would carry. The guns slide operates, locks back, and all controls function as a live firearm would. Of course the velocity is different with a BB, and they dont kick as hard or are as loud but you get close as you can.

You have to draw from retention, get off the X, and fight without using a static shooting stance like many classes teach. Shooting in non optimal conditions is how many gunfights happen.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    Airsoft is great and highly under utilized imo.

The only thing to watch for is to not use it TOO much. I have a super high cadence of fire with airsoft, but I can't do it in real life. Went to the range one day and I was like, OHYEARECOIL.

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    Airsoft-

Inexpensive
    The ability to safely do contact shots unlike with Simmmuniton.
    You can move 360 degrees
    You can learn to draw as a reaction to the preparatory movement required for someone to draw a weapon on you.
    You can recreate just about any situation that you could face in real life.

The list goes on- George

FRISteve

Apr 2, 2012
    Dover, PA

Amen! That's why FoF is the only way to train, once you've mastered gun handling/shooting.

Gee, I kind of remember writing a doctoral dissertation that came to the same conclusion ;)

FRISteve

Apr 2, 2012
    Dover, PA
    There's another point that it is being missed, apparently, or, at the least, not being focused on. In many cases, if you find yourself in a gunfight, you already screwed up multiple times.

Force on force allows you to practice a multitude of skills that are more critical than shooting really fast. In reality, you can do FoF with a red/blue gun and say "bang" when you've made the decision to shoot. Certainly, shooting under stress with sims or airsoft is an added bonus.

Let's examine some of the things that FoF can let you practice (and this list is NOT all inclusive):

Situational awareness
    Movement
    Recognizing pre-assault indicators
    Verbal skills
    Defensive tactics skills
    Stacking
    Pieing
    Cover and concealment
    Thinking on your feet
    Thinking outside the box
    Controlling/harnessing adrenalin's effects
    Developing and/or recognizing which of your skills have become reflexive, as opposed to reactive.
    Etc.

The point is that going to a range and shooting at paper (or even humanoid) targets, especially when the trainer tells you who to shoot and how many times to shoot is NOT a fair indicator of your inter-personal combat skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom