• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    This same thing happened to me, with the out dated app from the "how to apply" sticky. I talked to one of the investigating officers and found out a short time line.
    Takes at least 1 week for them to assign the application to the appropriate officer. When the application is assigned is when MSP starts the clock.
    They review the application and make sure all the right forms and information is turned in.

He also said they are becoming over whelmed with applications and are having a hard time meeting the 90 day window so dont be in a hurry.

Thanks for the info. I fully expected the process to take 90 days or more, even Florida and VA say to expect a 90 day turn around. My check hasn't cleared as of yet so that has me a bit concerned however.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So, applications can sit in a stack in the mailroom for six months, but the clock doesn't start until assigned to specific Trooper ?

Take that one step farther, assign each Trooper one case, they complete it 89 days later, recieve next case. Each Trooper handle 4 applications per year. The backlog will be decades, but MSP will claim to be current.

For slightly less tinfoil - The * Application Intake Trooper * looks at each incoming application to look for : Current employment as armed security, bussiness owners, politicians. Those go to normal workload LD Troopers. Others go to one at a time for 89day Troopers .

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    So, applications can sit in a stack in the mailroom for six months, but the clock doesn't start until assigned to specific Trooper ?

Take that one step farther, assign each Trooper one case, they complete it 89 days later, recieve next case. Each Trooper handle 4 applications per year. The backlog will be decades, but MSP will claim to be current.

For slightly less tinfoil - The * Application Intake Trooper * looks at each incoming application to look for : Current employment as armed security, bussiness owners, politicians. Those go to normal workload LD Troopers. Others go to one at a time for 89day Troopers .

Stop giving them ideas

Alberto

Feb 17, 2015

That's a scary thought

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    A little info that may be relevant to this thread. Just got off the phone with MSP Licensing regarding my initial handgun permit application.

I submitted an application in early December. Other then the check clearing on December 14th I have heard nothing from the MSP. Today I phoned them and the nice lady in licensing told me that they were backed up and just on November applications. When I pressed, she reluctantly took my name and informed me that my application went "Into the system" on December 8th. and was currently "Pending Background Check". See encouraged patience on my part. She made it clear that response within 90 days of receiving my application isn't going to happen.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    So you mean to tell me that you're going to have to wait more than 90 days to be told you won't get an unrestricted carry permit, or none at all?

CRAZY!

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I'm a small business owner, I'm into contracting and real estate.

I would also be an FFL holder but my landlord (a self professed "NRA guy") didn't like the idea of guns on the property. So I get all the way to the end of the application process and the ATF agent (who was SUPER nice and accommodating) says "Well you're all approved, what do you think your landlord is going to say" Of course I just know he's going to be fine with it and nope, he says no. That was about a year ago and as you can see I'm still salty.

If I were a landlord and the question was presented, damn right I'd say no. Don't blame him, for our litigious culture.

A little info that may be relevant to this thread. Just got off the phone with MSP Licensing regarding my initial handgun permit application...... She made it clear that response within 90 days of receiving my application isn't going to happen.

The time constraints on applicants are solid and damning if missed. The constraints on government time limits always appear to be recommendations..

Yellowdog

MDS Supporter
    Jul 4, 2011
    Columbia
    curious as to why MSP is now overwhelmed and falling behind in processing. have their staffing levels changed or is there a true increase in applications? if the applications have increased, why? it is not as if the climate has changed any in Annapolis.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    curious as to why MSP is now overwhelmed and falling behind in processing. have their staffing levels changed or is there a true increase in applications? if the applications have increased, why? it is not as if the climate has changed any in Annapolis.

.. Word on the Street

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013

The trooper I spoke with said he try's to have 3 applications completed each week.

Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    If I were a landlord and the question was presented, damn right I'd say no. Don't blame him, for our litigious culture.

So by your logic the only gun shops that exist will be on property owned by the shop, that will never happen.

And for the record, I rent commercial office/warehouse space from the landlord in question.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    So by your logic the only gun shops that exist will be on property owned by the shop, that will never happen.

And for the record, I rent commercial office/warehouse space from the landlord in question.

... and your landlord said no. Have no idea how logic plays in to that.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    My Maryland permit took 37 calendar days (counting weekends) from mailbox to mailbox , including phone interviews for the wife & I . My brothers were about the same give or take a couple days .

Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    My Maryland permit took 37 calendar days (counting weekends) from mailbox to mailbox , including phone interviews for the wife & I . My brothers were about the same give or take a couple days .

How recently was this? If you don't mind me asking.

Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    VA CCW check cleared 14 Feb 17
    No update on MD
    No update on FL- *Edit* Check cleared 17 Feb 17

Pulled Florida license out of the mail today 27 Feb, letter was post marked 23 Feb! That's a 13 day turn around from the date my application was scheduled to be delivered!!!!!!! Wowzers lol

*Edit* I just remembered that Florida allows expidited processing for active duty service members and honorably discharged veterans and I checked the box for expidited processing, but that's still super fast.

MD check STILL has not cleared

No update on VA

NH was mailed Feb 16th, no update

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    My comment was in response to your comment about refusing to allow a tenant to hold an FFL if you were a landlord. It was your logic that I was speaking of, try to keep up.

Oh, I'm keeping up. If as a landlord the Feds out of the blue want my blessing to allow a tenant to do conduct FFL business, where it initially was never disclosed, I'd say no. Just the implication of my blessing indicates some kind of liability. These are the kind of laws people don't want to get entangled in if they do not have to. Did you know HOA's in Maryland can be held liable to a victim of a Pitbull attack, if that HOA allows homes to have them..

Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    Oh, I'm keeping up. If as a landlord the Feds out of the blue want my blessing to allow a tenant to do conduct FFL business, where it initially was never disclosed, I'd say no. Just the implication of my blessing indicates some kind of liability. These are the kind of laws people don't want to get entangled in if they do not have to. Did you know HOA's in Maryland can be held liable to a victim of a Pitbull attack, if that HOA allows homes to have them..

No I did not know that about Pit Bull's and HOA's

And I guess anyone can try to sue anyone else, but this is a commercial triple net retail lease, it would be very difficult to sue the property owner for anything in addition the management company requires that they added as "additional insured" on the tenant's insurance policy.

But to each his own

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Just got my VA a few days ago. Was exactly four months from receipt at VSP to my mailbox. Was a "renewal" of an expired.

Mailed NH about when you did, haven't heard. The Governor just signed their constitutional carry bill, so that might change processing and timing.

MD check STILL has not cleared

No update on VA

NH was mailed Feb 16th, no update

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom