Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old February 9th, 2019, 01:30 PM #21
i pi

i pi

Speaking of getting form 1 approved, the length of time even if submitted today likely puts you past Oct 1 when any new law goes into effect. You cannot build the SBR until the approval comes back. Which means if the law is enacted, it would make the current configuration illegal for some length of time between Oct 1 and tax stamp approval. Submitting the Form puts the ATF and Chief Law Enforcement Officer, Colonel Pallozzi MSP on notice you have an illegal rifle for some period of time. CLEO could plausibly object to Form 1 approval. AG Frosh has CLEO in his pocket. So there is that.
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 01:31 PM #22

I cannot scream this loud enough REFUSE TO COMPLY!!! By changing your rifle"'s configuration to comply or "get around" their "law" is still defacto compliance. .
Old February 9th, 2019, 01:34 PM #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
Speaking of getting form 1 approved, the length of time even if submitted today likely puts you past Oct 1 when any new law goes into effect. You cannot build the SBR until the approval comes back. Which means if the law is enacted, it would make the current configuration illegal for some length of time between Oct 1 and tax stamp approval. Submitting the Form puts the ATF and Chief Law Enforcement Officer, Colonel Pallozzi MSP on notice you have an illegal rifle for some period of time. CLEO could plausibly object to Form 1 approval. AG Frosh has CLEO in his pocket. So there is that.
Interesting.
SOTAR Alumnus
dreadpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 01:41 PM #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
It may come a time when one might consider moving things out of state. Converting to SBR would make this very cumbersome.
And if DanB is correct, may not help anyways.
SOTAR Alumnus
dreadpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 01:42 PM #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventus View Post
Instead of leaving the state, maybe we should all put on yellow vests and head to Annapolis!!!
100% Agree.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 02:43 PM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by montoya32 View Post
Not sure why ANYONE would be discussing contorting their firearms to comply with these laws. They can pound sand or try to take them.
Tim, that isn't that what the Glen Burnie guy tried? (1302)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muleskinner View Post
I cannot scream this loud enough REFUSE TO COMPLY!!! By changing your rifle"'s configuration to comply or "get around" their "law" is still defacto compliance. .
I hate to keep bringing up the Geln Burnie occurrence but weren't these the last words of that poor dude?

They want guns and are getting them. Checking atf wait times now.
ironpony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 03:00 PM #27

Not converting, not complying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rbird7282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 03:41 PM #28

Quote:
No it doesn’t. A lower is NOT an enumerated banned firearm in this case. It can be built in to legal configurations and a 16+” upper is not going to make an SBR. So basically you submit the form 1 and wait. You don’t build ANYTHING until it comes back. Once the form 1 comes back you can assemble your SBR.

Your 16+” uppers likely need to stick around for a pistol, or be gotten rid of. Or at least have the barrels removed and wait for your <16” build when you have your form 1 back.

If it is past October 1 and you are still waiting, the upper comes off. Maybe the barrel(s) come off the upper also. You get your form 1 back, your less than 16” barrel goes on one of your uppers and you put it together and engrave the NFA serial number on the lower.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 03:51 PM #29

To repeat, nothing in this change would make your lowers illegal. It may not be smart to have 16” or longer barreled receivers sitting around (unless you have a pre 10/1/2013 lower sitting around). But the lowers are fine. If never built, they can be a pistol. If built as a rifle originally, they could still be made in to an SBR some day. Or have an upper on there that makes the whole thing not an AR-15 (like a 6.5 grendel build. Or if you think it needs less parts compatibility, a straight pull bolt design with a welded shut gas block or barrel gas port).

ATF does the constructive possession thing. Maryland could? Maybe? So having everything around that makes an illegal configuration and you have no ability to make a legal one, you be screwed. So having your 20” HBAR upper sitting around may not be smart. And of course if it is assembled in to a lower it is a banned configuration.

But a lower by itself is not illegal.

So in submitting a form 1, you are getting ATF permission to build a Federal and Maryland legal configuration. And once approved you can then do that.

I am fighting this, but if it goes through, my 16” and longer barrels would go. I’d probably get a 12.5” barrel and slap it on my pistol lower and submit a form 1 and my rifle lower I’d SBR and look for a 14.5-15” barrel to go in to my other upper.

Do I want to comply? Hell no. But unfortunately I have too much to lose with young kids. I’ll fight by donating to pro gun rights causes, voting, emailing, calling and showing up when I can.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 04:02 PM #30
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
E form 1’s have been being approved in 3-4 weeks.
MSRPA BOD
I touched Heller.....
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues