Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old February 8th, 2019, 03:27 PM #21
Crank in the Third Row

Crank in the Third Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfish View Post
I spend thousands of dollars on ammunition, guns, and shooting related products and businesses every year.

I'm not alone in this amount of spending.

So let's tell them we're prepared to give that money instead to someone in their own party who will primary them in their districts. And have a sh!tload of campaign money to do it.

If not enough people here are willing to engage in the street-level activism, then at least put up a whole bunch of money. If we're unwilling to scare them, the let's just BUY our own politicians outright, and defeat them with more democrats that WE own.
THAT sounds to me like a viable plan. Now if we can only expand the number of "2A friendly" media outlets to "more than one..."

Clint Eastwood: ďI tried being reasonable, I didnít like itĒ
Dark to Light; sheep no more. WWG1WGA
#MorePatriotsThanHandcuffs
BeoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2019, 11:40 PM #22
Crank in the Third Row

Crank in the Third Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
I'd think that it might be productive to spend some time reviewing some old yearbooks.

Go with the trend. Blood's in the water and the frenzy is getting momentum.
Speaking of that...

Blackface photos found in old University of Maryland yearbooks
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...208-story.html

Old February 9th, 2019, 12:10 AM #23

Quote:
I spend thousands of dollars on ammunition, guns, and shooting related products and businesses every year.

So let's tell them we're prepared to give that money instead to someone in their own party who will primary them in their districts. And have a sh!tload of campaign money to do it.

If not enough people here are willing to engage in the street-level activism, then at least put up a whole bunch of money. If we're unwilling to scare them, the let's just BUY our own politicians outright, and defeat them with more democrats that WE own.
Good idea as a long game, but taking money away from IPs and local FFLs is not the answer.
Old February 9th, 2019, 12:19 AM #24
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

Quote:
If we're unwilling to scare them, the let's just BUY our own politicians outright, and defeat them with more democrats that WE own.
I know it's no fun doing math on a Friday night. But google up "Bloomberg Net Worth" and factor that into the strategy you're contemplating. He's willing to spend more money PER HOUR, day-in day-out on shutting us down than we could all muster through total lack of gun/ammo purchases for a year. That's assuming you can even find someone either genuinely 2A or mercenariously so, that the D party would allow on their ballot, knowing where their financial support is coming from. Far better to put all that cash behind the court battles that will actually make a difference in places like MD, CA, NY and NJ.
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 12:42 AM #25
Crank in the Third Row

Crank in the Third Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam View Post
I know it's no fun doing math on a Friday night. But google up "Bloomberg Net Worth" and factor that into the strategy you're contemplating. He's willing to spend more money PER HOUR, day-in day-out on shutting us down than we could all muster through total lack of gun/ammo purchases for a year. That's assuming you can even find someone either genuinely 2A or mercenariously so, that the D party would allow on their ballot, knowing where their financial support is coming from. Far better to put all that cash behind the court battles that will actually make a difference in places like MD, CA, NY and NJ.
I know it's late and I'm getting dull, but I fail to see how "...put[ing] all that cash behind the court battles that will actually make a difference in places like MD, CA, NY and NJ" will help us. We would be better served by wearing yellow vests when we testify.

Old February 9th, 2019, 12:53 AM #26
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeoBill View Post
I know it's late and I'm getting dull, but I fail to see how "...put[ing] all that cash behind the court battles that will actually make a difference in places like MD, CA, NY and NJ" will help us.
Because passionate as some of the pro-2A attorneys are, as they give up other work in order to do this for us, most can't do it strictly as a hobby. Years-long litigation efforts are freakin' expensive, even if the most expensive people in the process are doing it at no charge, personally.
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 07:02 PM #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schipperke View Post
The majority of voters in Maryland like gun control. How is finding peccadilloes of gun control bill sponsors productive?
The way to sell these Bills are dangerous is the same way the Left sells them. Fear, uncertainty, doubt, sympathy. These Bills can and must be spun to show in their mind that passage will make things worse. They do not care about your rights, pounding fists and whining. Must be countered they are going to make what they fear worse. When laws become oppressive it doesn't reduce crime, it escalates crime. Look at prohibition. Drug laws are a great analogy as well. Look at drug laws are being decriminalized all across the country.

These gun control bills only clog up the judicial system with otherwise law abiding people who have been made criminals owning something legal for decades. These laws will create a much bigger black market that already exists, thus driving up , (not reducing) guns on the street with no traceable records. etc. etc.

Sympathy?

I go to a gun event with tables of these rifles they wish to ban, for many first time shooters to try. It is a charity event and last year raised six figures in one day, and donated to the Ludicrous Foundation

That puts a different spin on things.
While I agree on most of your post, my point is to remove as many of the current crop of legislators as possible, by outing their previous questionable peccadillos, especially those that play well with the masses in MD.

One step at at time.

I'd be surprised to find that none of the Lifers in the MD GA haven't expressed some form of racism in past. You know full well that the GA, especially the oldest members, are a pretty racist bunch; it goes with the territory, especially generationally.

Pull down Mike & Mike, efface the name on the Mike Miller Office Building (Oh the Shame! Did you know he was such a bigot, before he reformed?) and drive these doddering old men out of office.

Once upon a time you could scare the voters with the Black Menace. Now that it's not PC, they found a new minority to use to scare the voters. OMG!! Guns! They're scary and violent! (Also, the War on Guns is profitable, with the Bloombergs of the Left dumping millions into legislators' coffers. You think this might influence politicians more than a few disgruntled gun owners, armed only with facts? SHOW ME THE MONEY, HONEY.)

"Forget it, Jake, it's C̶h̶i̶n̶a̶t̶o̶w̶n̶ Maryland."
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 07:06 PM #28
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:

The bigger problem is the voter base. Maryland is very liberal. If the margins were tighter it would be great. It’s so bad that the Dems in many districts run unopposed.
MSRPA BOD
I touched Heller.....
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 08:23 PM #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
The bigger problem is the voter base. Maryland is very liberal. If the margins were tighter it would be great. Itís so bad that the Dems in many districts run unopposed.
Thank gerrymandering for this. It was not always the case, but over the last 20-30 years it has given the Dems a veto-proof supermajority.

"Forget it, Jake, it's C̶h̶i̶n̶a̶t̶o̶w̶n̶ Maryland."
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2019, 11:44 PM #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
Thank gerrymandering for this. It was not always the case, but over the last 20-30 years it has given the Dems a veto-proof supermajority.
Gerrymandering is major a problem with US House districts, much more so than with MGA districts. Most of the unopposed D MGA members run in areas where the demographics are so heavily left wing that no matter how district lines were drawn, Ds would win in those regions. There are some marginal legislative districts where gerrymandering has an effect, but not enough to even turn the MD House of Senate purple, let alone red.

Maryland demographics are the problem, unfortunately.
Allen65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues