Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old December 21st, 2008, 09:50 PM #21

Trying to get more people to Join Gun Groups (NRA, etc), go shooting more, and bring new shooters into the shooting sports.

Also trying to get more politically active in Maryland. I wrote letters earlier this year to support SB2, will begin sending more out soon.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM #22
Ignore these four words

Ignore these four words

wow,
Mpickering, that really puts things into a different perspective for me. Thanks for the time that you put into writing that and the information.I never thought of it in that big of a picture.
Looks like I need to do a bit more research and shine up my writing pen.I still won't be sending them any $$ as I believe they already have too much..and I have too little.
But I will be doing some writing and phone calling.
Hornblas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 01:25 AM #23

i have an idea, if the previous poster was correct and one letter =10,000 voters we should all coordinate our efforts. why dont one of the moderators start a thread with the weeks topic and then we all write to a targeted group of officials. even with the low response to this thread if ten of us participate thats 100,000 which is pry a huge portion of average turnout in md for non-general elections right?
aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 01:27 AM #24

New life member of the NRA here, plus I've signed up three of my family for memberships as well.
Old Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:28 PM #25
"Quack Pot Call Honker"

"Quack Pot Call Honker"

I'm game!

I usually keep abreast of political actions stuff, but don't write/call/meet with enough of the delgates to make a difference.

“It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, who keep on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men”-SAMUEL ADAMS, 1776
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fightinbluhen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 01:06 PM #26
Resident MacGyver

Resident MacGyver

my efforts begin with the battle against citizen ignorance ont he topic, and getting people interested in not only firearms, but their rights and taking control of their lives.

joined the NRA and MSI

then i write emails to reps anytime a topic / bill comes up that is an issue

my next step will be to show up in annapolis, haven't done it yet, but i want to.
kohburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:56 PM #27

NRA Life Member (Benefactor)
Purchased NRA Life Memberships for 3 grandsons
Purchased NRA annual membership for the Mrs
Life Member – Berwyn Rod & Gun Club
Current Member - GOA, VCDL, MDAlert, MDShooters, and MSI(EM)
Past Member - LEAA, MCDL, MSRPA and SAS
Chief Instructor, MD Hunter Safety/Firearm Education Program
Financially supports pro-gun MD Assembly members
Testified on numerous occasions before the MD Assembly
Prolific writer to US and State representatives, as well as local media
Defended firearms in Bowie cable documentary re accidental death of local resident
rambling_one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2008, 11:19 AM #28
"Quack Pot Call Honker"

"Quack Pot Call Honker"

Just wrote this to Congressman Sarbanes (my worthless rep) and I'm not going to hold my breath. This is in regards to the Santa shooting. May that worthless POS rot in hell.

Congressman Sarbanes:

I hope you and your family are enjoying a truly wonderful holiday season and that you are looking forward to the New Year and the new Congress.

I am taking a few moments to write to you today regarding the recent tragedy in California. I realize that it should be a time to mourn and grieve for the family, but it should not come as a surprise that the disingenuous bureaucrats from the Brady Campaign are already politicizing this event. I am sure that they will attempt to bring you legislation in the coming New Year and new congress to start a relentless attack upon our Second Amendment rights. I urge you to stand on the side of freedom and dismiss their agenda on two grounds: 1) The mere fact that they simply do not have any respect for the grieving family and are trying to use a catastrophe for their political advantage and 2) the simple fact that we have not only a Constitutionally guaranteed right to self defense and gun ownership in the Second Amendment, but also a natural right.

I am encouraging you not to sponsor or vote in the affirmative for any bills present to you in the coming congressional session that limit our Constitutional right. Individual freedom rests on the ability to maintain the Constitution and preserve it in the daily attacks against it.

Thank you for taking the time to read about my concerns, and may you and your family be blessed for the New Year.

Sincerely,

FightinBluHen51

“It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, who keep on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men”-SAMUEL ADAMS, 1776
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fightinbluhen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 04:38 PM #29
Former MSI BOD

Former MSI BOD

Maryland is facing a HUGE budget issue. Let's not omit the fact that selling CCW permits would provide income to the state. I would love to find out (and will try to tonight) how much money Florida makes by issuing those 110 dollar permits.

We would be introducing a new source of income to the state, and no one could say it victimizes poor people (as was the argument against slots) it in fact empowers them to be safe in their neighborhoods.
gprimr1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:45 PM #30

Some small part

Recently re-joined the NRA after an 18 year absence.

I endeavor to take fence-walkers and the wrongly informed shooting whenever I can.

and plan to mail the following (once its edited) to the Judiciary, the ways and means committee and several newspapers.

Dear Legislator,

I am disheartened that our more self righteous politicians and liberal media are spouting, at best erroneous, and at worst, willfully misleading information, statistic, and myth concerning gun ownership, and our second amendment rights.

I'm aware it's a politician's nature to foster people's ignorance, pander to their fears and foment hysteria over whichever issue would serve to further their own agenda.

But despair, that our elected representatives are themselves blinded by ignorance.
Sadly, I would rather think they actually know right from wrong, and for self-serving reasons, chose wrong.

I agree, wholeheartedly, with both our right to keep and bear arms and sensible gun control.

Like me, a majority of Marylanders agree persons convicted of violent acts, abuse drugs and/or alcohol, who are mentally unbalanced, or otherwise have been determined to be a danger to themselves or others should not be allowed legal access to firearms. And, that gun control cannot keep guns from the criminal.

Gun bans do not work, and some American cities such as New York, Washington D.C. and Detroit have enjoyed heartbreak and embarrassment as a consequence.

Such gun control measures cannot prevent those who wish to do evil from doing evil. Draconian restrictions on firearms only serve to prevent law-abiding citizens from protecting their families, their property or themselves

Here, I considered listing columns of statistics showing the fallacy of gun control being effective at reducing violence and deaths. But we both know (unless I am correct in my surmising you being blinded by ignorance) that any studies you might cite as being "proof" that unarmed citizens are safer citizens, there are as many and more compelling studies to the contrary.
So, I'll just address a few aspects of gun control

Banning handguns for the good of the children

If one would seek to preserve young lives, I would suggest a ban on automobiles (by far the major cause of child mortality), or more practically, a ban on anyone under the age of 21 operating a motor vehicle. But we all know that though there is no constitutional right to drive, that would prove too difficult to achieve as it would be most unpopular with the constituency.

Reducing or even preventing accidental gun deaths has been addressed by laws already enacted. They, like all other existing laws need to be enforced. Negligence and irresponsibility cannot be legislated away. Unfortunate things happen to children of careless and careful parents alike. Shall we, then, ban bathtubs, household chemicals, electrical outlets, bicycles, scissors, swimming pools, plastic bags, plus any and all of the myriad things a child could do harm to themselves or others?

Prevention of gun-aided suicide

That may be possible, but suicide rates will be wholly unaffected. Even my uneducated mind knows that someone who is committed to taking his/her own life, will find a way to do it. Of the half-dozen or so people I've known to commit suicide, one used a firearm, three hung themselves, one drove into a bridge abutment at high speed and the last opened his wrists in a hot bath. I imagine this small sampling is reflective of the populace in general.

Banning assault weapons

This is naked fear-mongering and you know it. Calling a self-loading firearm an "Automatic Assault Weapon" is a shameful prevarication. The National Firearms Act effectively banned assault weapons decades ago.

The firearms you are targeting today are neither automatic nor assault weapons. They function exactly as many other hunting and target rifles.

Senator Diane Feinstein comprised the list of guns for the 1994, and since expired, AWB by perusing a gun catalog and picking out the "scary looking" ones. They have been singled out, once more, simply for their aesthetics.

You'd have to agree banning a firearm on the basis of its "looks" is stupid on the face of it.

Ordinary citizens have no need to carry a firearm

As a rule, evil-doers do not commit violence against ordinary (please read, law-abiding) citizens in the presence of law enforcement officers. The old saw, "when seconds count, the police are mere minutes away" is not only true, but something more and more people are taking to heart.

Our law enforcement officers (from the State Police to the small town beat cop) do a commendable job daily, and I feel most, if not all (though under no obligation to do so), would put themselves at peril to save a life.

The problem is…. they won't be there.

Concealed carry should not be based on extraordinary and imminent need, capriciousness, whim, or favor.

In 1986 there were 9 "shall issue" States, in 20 years since, that number has increased to 39 States (maybe 40 by the time this is read). It should be clear that, nation-wide, concealed carry is something We, the People, believe is needed to protect ourselves, our loved ones, and our property.

Yet, you continue to deprive Marylanders in your district the means to protect themselves;

Older citizens lacking the physical prowess to fend off an attack (useless in any case against an armed assailant),

Women, alone or with their children, are too often left with the choice of ineffectual resistance or compliance with the unthinkable

Disabled Marylanders who can neither flee nor evade an attack.
And every other person finding themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time are presently easy prey for any and all who may decide to take what they, the law-abiding citizen, values, including their life.

You have the opportunity to do the right thing. Study the matter for yourself instead of relying on "talking points" or 'the party line". Actually represent your constituency by supporting the Second Amendment and its proponents in any upcoming "gun" legislation.

Please lend your much needed support to
HB-2, HB-1060, HB-1061, HB-1071, HB-1075 & SB-449

And use your considerable persuasive talents to help oppose
HB-108, HB-517, HB-640, HB-655, HB-659, HB-849, HB-877, & HB-964

As well as opposing SB-42, SB-244, SB-299, SB-393, SB-558, SB-585, & SB-586

Thank you

Edward F. Rose
My Address

"I go farther; and now proceed to show, that in peculiar instances, in which those rights can receive neither protection nor reparation from civil government, they are, notwithstanding its institution, entitled still to that defence, and to those methods of recovery, which are justified and demanded in a state of nature."

"The defence of one's self, justly called the primary law of nature, is not, nor can it be abrogated by any regulation of municipal law."
--- James Wilson, Wilson, Of the Natural Rights of Individuals, in 2 The Works of James Wilson 335 (J.D. Andrews ed. 1896).
The above quote is from a series of lectures given between 1790 and 1792.
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would."
--- John Adams, Boston Gazette, Sept. 5, 1763,reprinted in 3 The Works of John Adams 438
raggedman is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues