• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    Opinion piece!

As my mind wanders on a daily basis, this one came into my head today while sitting 45' in the air on a scissor lift as I tested Duct Detectors for a fire alarm system.

We all have that "Old World Classic" look in our minds eye when it comes to rifles. Be that from Sharps rifles, to a modern single shot like the Ruger No.1, or wherever your mind goes.

I usually fall strongly into that category myself, with a nod of the head to Lever guns, especially those in the 45/70 flavor. But today I have put together a different image in my head. A good full-stock rifle and a low power, small objective optic!

Enter into my new favorite gun to daydream about (hang on tight, tomorrow it'll be something new) - A CZ550FS chambered in 6.5x55 with a legacy Leupold Vari-x III 1-5x in gloss on gloss rings.

Total shame that Leupold dropped this from their regular lineup, but they can be had on the second hand market fairly easily.

I don't have an image of that EXACT spec to share, but you get the picture. Now the title declares for an old school hunt look, that doesn't mean the hunt in its time period was limited to that of the four legged variety. So get creative! What is floating around in your head!

Last edited:

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I think this guy from the Last Alaskans with his Winchester 1895 is the typical old school hunter

Attachments

• 669B4FA7-E63B-458D-BEC1-17FFEF55D53D.jpg
      669B4FA7-E63B-458D-BEC1-17FFEF55D53D.jpg
      64.2 KB · Views: 759

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You're talking about a time when tents were made of canvas and smelled of mildew, outdoorsmen wore wool shirts, wool pants, wool socks, and wool underwear. High top lace up leather boots almost to the knee, with canvas putees.

With an eye to the dawning 20th Century, the hunter carries a .303 Savage 99.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Not a rifle, but a shotgun. One of my favorites to carry on a day afield. A very light, Remington Model 17, bottom ejecting, takedown model. They were only made in 20 gauge. They were made between 1921 to 1933.

Attachments

• A8EE1A4D-17DC-49FA-AA78-CFB1A41D40CF.jpg
      A8EE1A4D-17DC-49FA-AA78-CFB1A41D40CF.jpg
      94.5 KB · Views: 434

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Medium barrel contour, wood stock bolt action chambered in 30-06. Equipped with a fixed 4x power scope and rifle sights still on the barrel.

Or a 30-30 iron or receiver (larger) sight lever carbine for close shot environments.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    A stubble corn field, a touch of snow on the ground, my dad's 12-gauge J.C. Higgins (that's Sears to you kids out there) pump gun with the variable choke, my do-everything boots, hunting coat, just me and that farmer's stray barn dog that "city people musta' dropped off" and that would always come out to join me on the hunt...that was Edgewood when I was in high school about 50 years ago.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Not a rifle, but a shotgun. One of my favorites to carry on a day afield. A very light, Remington Model 17, bottom ejecting, takedown model. They were only made in 20 gauge. They were made between 1921 to 1933.

That is my favorite shotgun too, but that's because I grew up borrowing my grandfathers when we went rabbit hunting every fall on my uncles' farm. Thanksgiving tradition was cousins and grandfather would go rabbit hunting in the morning and go to my grandparents house for dinner in the afternoon. Good times even when snowing, raining or freezing cold, notice I never mention hot... LOL

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    A stubble corn field, a touch of snow on the ground, my dad's 12-gauge J.C. Higgins (that's Sears to you kids out there) pump gun with the variable choke, my do-everything boots, hunting coat, just me and that farmer's stray barn dog that "city people musta' dropped off" and that would always come out to join me on the hunt...that was Edgewood when I was in high school about 50 years ago.

A time when a kid could walk down the road in an old coat, carrying an old shotgun and nobody called the cops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom